New Coil Builders

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Zaryk, I know how to do spaced coils with single round wire (and I've already see the video) but will that work with a twisted pair? I want to know if anyone has actually tried it. BTW, can you tell me why you prefer spaced winds? No worries about "hot spots" or do you get more flavor? One simple reason I found was it makes the coil wider so easier to install coils in some decks without fussing with the leads. How do people feel about twisted pair coils in general. Seems like an easy way to get more surface area (and very inexpensive)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Zaryk, I know how to do spaced coils with single round wire (and I've already see the video) but will that work with a twisted pair? I want to know if anyone has actually tried it. BTW, can you tell me why you prefer spaced winds? No worries about "hot spots" or do you get more flavor? One simple reason I found was it makes the coil wider so easier to install coils in some decks without fussing with the leads. How do people feel about twisted pair coils in general. Seems like an easy way to get more surface area (and very inexpensive)

I use spaced coils for flavour, lack of hot spots and because I sometimes stick them in a TC mod. But I now coil every coil as a spaced coil, or slightly spaced.

Twisted wire coils can be spaced, just as a fused clapton coil can and flat wire.

I've played with twisted coils - definitely gives better flavour. And it is an easy way to get a lower resistance without resorting to high ramp up thicker round wire.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Yes, that method works for twisted wire, and clapton wire, and fused claptons, and alien, pretty much all wire types.

I use spaced simply because there are no hot spots. I can't tell a difference in flavor honestly, but it removes the whole working the hot spots out of your coil step of installing coils.

Twisted wire is not bad, you can get a good vape from it. It is not my favorite, since I use mechs and the vape I get from twisted varies more than most other wire types I used. At first, on a full battery, it will be spitty. Then I get a good vape at around 3.9v. then it gets weak a little earlier than my commonly used wire, usually around 3.75-3.8v. but keep in mind, this is on a mech. On a regulated you can target the sweet spot and keep it there.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Using a regulated mod in wattage mode... not into high watts anyway. Going to use the twisted in dual coil RDA, but very curious how it will compare to single wire coil (with more wraps) in a single coil RTA. Of course, I will try both... just looking for opinions. My next wire will be 24 ga Stainless Steel, but for now trying every possible design using the 26 ga Kanthal. Don't see much use in doing parallel though. Drank too much coffee yesterday... laid in bed overthinking radical coil designs (like my "stovetop" formed into a cone, two layer parallel with second winds laid in grooves of first layer) Also had a thought about wicking... rayon through coil with "extra" cotton around base of deck (or even a felt "washer") Too much caffeine and over vaping nic and I spin out. Great ideas or madness?

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Using a regulated mod in wattage mode... not into high watts anyway. Going to use the twisted in dual coil RDA, but very curious how it will compare to single wire coil (with more wraps) in a single coil RTA. Of course, I will try both... just looking for opinions. My next wire will be 24 ga Stainless Steel, but for now trying every possible design using the 26 ga Kanthal. Don't see much use in doing parallel though. Drank too much coffee yesterday... laid in bed overthinking radical coil designs (like my "stovetop" formed into a cone, two layer parallel with second winds laid in grooves of first layer) Also had a thought about wicking... rayon through coil with "extra" cotton around base of deck (or even a felt "washer") Too much caffeine and over vaping nic and I spin out. Great ideas or madness?

Master the plain single wire or twisted coil first, and wicking - then go ballistic ;)

With your first RTA or RDA it is all about figuring out the simple stuff - how much wicking to use, have I got a hot leg, why is it leaking etc. And the coiling part is easy, compared to wicking. Get the basics under control - then have some fun

MetalSteve

Mar 10, 2019
    I tried using Ni80 and it went poorly. I wrapped a .7 ohm coil and put it in the Beserker 1.5 rta. After about 4 ml of juice at 17-20 w the coil and wick got terribly gunked up. I used the same liquids I've been vaping with kanthal but got very little flavor. I replaced the cotton and it happened again. Now I'm back to kanthal.

I followed the same procedure I do with the kanthal (glowing, scraping, breaking in the cotton a little).

Did I miss something?

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I tried using Ni80 and it went poorly. I wrapped a .7 ohm coil and put it in the Beserker 1.5 rta. After about 4 ml of juice at 17-20 w the coil and wick got terribly gunked up. I used the same liquids I've been vaping with kanthal but got very little flavor. I replaced the cotton and it happened again. Now I'm back to kanthal.

I followed the same procedure I do with the kanthal (glowing, scraping, breaking in the cotton a little).

Did I miss something?

doesn't look like it to me. Kanthal should act the same as Ni80 at that wattage. Next time you try ni80 take a few pics if you can, of the coil, then the dry wick, then it all juiced up.

MetalSteve

Mar 10, 2019
    @AngeNZ you're the best!

26ga Ni80, 3mm, .67 ohms.
    20191029_203144.jpg

20191029_203850.jpg
    20191029_204232.jpg

Man, nothing like a close-up photo to see where I'm at with wrapping.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Reactions: MetalSteve

MetalSteve

Mar 10, 2019
    I'm just learning too, but I can help you with taking pics. Back up a little for better focus and have better light. I'd rather see a less "zoomed in" pic that's not blurry. Also, take a shot from the side (no wick, just coil) Curious if it's blocking too much airflow.

Thanks. I'll try this next time.

I think my airflow is ok. It's bottom airflow and air comes in under the coil.

• Agree
    Reactions: AngeNZ

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Thanks. I'll try this next time.

I think my airflow is ok. It's bottom airflow and air comes in under the coil.
    Not much room on the side for airflow with a 3mm coil, I'd run that on 2.5mm with one more wrap. That is the way I run my BSKR and it is great at 15W with salts, but like everything in this game YMMV.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Steam engine is confusing me again. Designing "twisted pair" coils with 26 ga Kanthal (3mm, 7 winds) and everything else looks good except suggested mod wattage and "Heat capacity" are through the roof! Is it just too much mass?
    For dual coils (0.5ohm for both) It's showing around 150 watts and 150 mJ/K heat capacity (is that what's called "ramp up time"?) Heat flux seems OK at 200. I'm really a noobie with using SE. My mod is only 60 watts... can I even use this setup?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Steam engine is confusing me again. Designing "twisted pair" coils with 26 ga Kanthal (3mm, 7 winds) and everything else looks good except suggested mod wattage and "Heat capacity" are through the roof! Is it just too much mass?
    For dual coils (0.5ohm for both) It's showing around 150 watts and 150 mJ/K heat capacity (is that what's called "ramp up time"?) Heat flux seems OK at 200. I'm really a noobie with using SE. My mod is only 60 watts... can I even use this setup?

By twisting you are creating a shorter wire, thus more wire is needed to meet your objective of 7 wraps around a 3mm ID vs a single or even a parallel build - therefore the mass will be greater with a twisted coil. The math behind this is much too complex for my Friday night, date with a bottle of whisky capabilities so unsure if Steam is calculating it correctly.

Heat Flux is a measurement of radiant heat for a given wattage. Heat Flux in Steam is calculated as 1 watt divided by the surface area. However, Steam’s calculation of surface area for complex coils is the sum of the entire surface area of each wire involved. Not accurate when dealing with multi wire – the developer is aware of this. Coils such as Fused Claptons that involves many wires yields some really bizarre Heat Flux values

Heat Capacity within Steam is the Specific Heat Capacity of the metal x the mass. It is more of a guide than a true value, but useful.

Last edited:

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia

I'd suggest just stick with a plain single wire build if you're going to do a dual coil atty, no need to twist it up with two coils. When you do a single coil build twist away:lol:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Yes, I'm going to start with simple single wire coils. Also making some twisted wire anyway (using a drill) I'm using a regulated mod so worst that can happen is it doesn't heat up enough. The dual coils will be used in a RDA (Quad Flex kit with velocity style deck) The RDA originally came with two 3 mm clapton coils (0.35 ohms with both) but didn't have a decent mod at the time (just used the Nautilus X tank) and used 1 of the claptons in the RDA for taste testing... the other clapton I'm saving to try in a single coil RTA. Meanwhile, I made a simple pair of spaced coils for a RTA dual coil deck and a single contact coil for another RTA. At least I got lots of practice wicking the RDA (changed wick between tasting each flavor) I know... I'm diving off the high dive right into the deep end of the pool ;) I'm also designing a "spaced stovetop" coil formed into a vertical cone but need a different deck for that:
    Youde IGO-W8 Drip Atomizer with Airflow Control
    No fear (don't worry... no mech mod... yet)

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I'm not really into horoscopes but this is mine for today:
    "Be aware of the trail you are blazing with each step you take, and let that awareness animate your every decision. Your naturally fiery courage combined with the inspiration of artistic Venus in your 5th House of Self-Expression casts you as an energetic trendsetter today. When you set out to make a meaningful dream come true, kindred spirits are spontaneously inspired to join you along the way."

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread