New ECF Theme!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hello!

So, chances are you're here because ECF looks different and you're a bit surprised. Hey, it was time for a spruce up, no?

No? OK, well I've left the old theme accessible, so if you really do miss the oranges and deep blues, please, by all means (it's called ecigaretteforum and you can find it at the bottom of this page).

So, what's different about this new theme? In a nutshell, it is mainly about how the site looks. It doesn't do anything to how the site behaves. In other words, if there's something you think you can't do any more on ECF, you probably can - you just can't find it (yet). If it's something that's become hidden, then maybe it's something we can unhide.

The theme is a work in progress and I'll be making tweaks over the coming weeks. You can see the initial task list that members helped me compile in the preview thread:

• Add watched forums/threads/posts back in
  • Dark theme to be created
  • Look at margins below posts and postbit's impact (move info out?)[complete]
  • Different color bars for forums
  • Default to rich text editor? Or have setting in profile which allows it
  • quick drop down for alerts/messages
  • sort out supporting members' badges
  • Nice "mood" banners
  • Gender (where declared) in the postbit.
  • Font choice/color tbc
  • 'Reason' portion not showing when posts are edited
  • "B" for blog is causing a problem with Usernames
Please help me add to this list. But let's keep it theme related - feature requests we'll do another time: there's quite a bit I have planned on that front, but this is all going to happen in stages.

The first thing that I'm determined to do is a big clean up. We have a lot of disorganisation and forums which are no longer relevant or necessary. A forum is a living, breathing thing, not a library - so I want to consolidate things, inject some life back into the right places and so forth.

Oh, and did I mention it? ECF is 10 mothertruckin years old in December! Yup, we've been here from the beginning. Well, we were the beginning, weren't we old timers? In any case, got some celebratory things lined up for that.

So, come on - I know everyone loves change - so hit me with your worst.....

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Happy 10th Anniversary, Oliver!

proxy.php

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
10 years? Brilliant! :thumbs:

Now please give us back the them I've been using since the switch to XenForo. It's missing. I believe it was called just "ECF". Both the new "Aluminum" and the "E-CigaretteForum" themes are considerably less compact that that one was and I'm a charter member of the Pixel Conservation Society. ;)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
10 years? Brilliant! :thumbs:

Now please give us back the them I've been using since the switch to XenForo. It's missing. I believe it was called just "ECF". Both the new "Aluminum" and the "E-CigaretteForum" themes are considerably less compact that that one was and I'm a charter member of the Pixel Conservation Society. ;)

Oy........... ^What he said! Please, can we have our old ECF default skin back? Pretty please.... Too much white space everywhere, the font has changed--it's harder for me to read.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I'll try to keep an open mind...
I don't mind the font.
But

a) it really feels like the crap to the right - ads and my profile (I know who I am) is taking more space. Like 30% of the screen is stuff I don't want to see...

b) it was more awkward getting to my "alerts" - which is what I do 95% of the time. I couldn't go right to them from a hover as I could before.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I had to do a double take.. just now.

I'll go along for the ride Oliver.

Ecf has been a great place! It's helped many people and made lots of friendships. It's one of the most up to date forums I participate in. Appreciate it!

I did like the previous version, but like the last time I've learned to give it a little time to grow on you.

It's like moving into a new HOME. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread