new ego twist acting really funny. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
So my new ego twist came in the mail today from RMV. It worked out of the package (the battery was not in off position when shipped).

So I wanted to see if it was partially or fully charged. I plugged it in, however I noticed weirdly that upon screwing it in a few things happened.

1. While screwing in light on the charger started in green- went to red and the Ego blinked 4 times.
2. upon tightening the battery up(finger tight), in the last touch of a turn it went green.
3.removed from charger - now it doesnt work. tried 5 button click several times.
4. cleaned contacts, and placed back on battery (on/off) several times. it keeps repeating the red/4 blinks to green upon tightening.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I decided to leave it on the charger in the red position. It did charge up. (it must lose connection tight?)
However, the twist is still unresponsive.
:(

I'm assuming that 'it did charge up' means it went from red to green after while - normal charging. When screwing in the batt, only go as far to where you get the flashing of the led and the charger goes from green to red. Even 'finger tight' isn't necessary.

If the battery is charged (if you have a multimeter, you could check that) then it is likely that the center post - either the battery or the atty/carto are not connecting and need 'picked out'. If you have dental pick that would do it - gently put the point of the pick under the center post and ease up from a few angles. You can also do that on the atty or carto but even more care is needed because they are just set in silicone. If that doesn't do it, send it back, or contact the vendor to send it back - they might have other suggestions.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I think Kent is spot-on; I have a feeling it's the attachment, not the Twist, that is at fault.

Without anything attached to it, when you press the button on the twist, does it light up (white)?

Have you tried a different attachment?

And as Kent said, maybe you have to "pull your post". :unsure:

A PBusardo Tutorial - How to Pull Your Post ;-) - YouTube "how to pull your post"

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Good vid John D - shows what I meant, and makes the point of 'centering' it after the pull - very important. And I'm thinking also that it is most likely the atty or carto being put on the twist - the Joye eGo's that I've had, have never had this problem. The VV eGo's (non-joye) - 3.0 to 4.2V with the led charger indicators - had that problem, but mainly it's with the atty/carto - the silicone the post sits in is too soft or becomes soft from the heat.

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
No response from unit at all.
No led lights on ego button on after removal from charger when pressed.
No flashes if hit 5x fast.

I think Kent is spot-on; I have a feeling it's the attachment, not the Twist, that is at fault.

Without anything attached to it, when you press the button on the twist, does it light up (white)?

Have you tried a different attachment?

And as Kent said, maybe you have to "pull your post". :unsure:

A PBusardo Tutorial - How to Pull Your Post ;-) - YouTube "how to pull your post"

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
No response from unit at all.
No led lights on ego button on after removal from charger when pressed.
No flashes if hit 5x fast.

Well, I'd send it back, Rocky Mtn Vapors has always had a good rep here - of course there are always exceptions - if it came from there it is a joye product that has a 6 months warranty from Joye and while I don't know what the warranty is from the vendor, I'd expect since you just got it, that there wouldn't be any problem. Some vendors have a 2 week to a month warranty and will help you if you have to return it to joye. But RMV will likely take it - they may even send another to you before they get the bad one back.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
OK, "Occam's Razor" time:

(The most likely answer is usually correct).

I have never heard of a DOA Twist; your's would be the first.

It worked fine out of the box.

Defective chargers are rare, although I've had one go bad.

The most likely answer is that you need to keep doing the "five press" thing until you get the timing just right, and the unit comes to life. Could you please try that?

Last edited:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I've tried like 20 times(no exaggeration). I will keep trying though!
I'd be much happier if it began working vs waiting for replacement.
I did use rmv's form to ask them for troubleshooting help also.

Well there's your problem right there. The manual specifically says to do it 21 times. lol

Sorry to appear insensitive to your plight - I'm not. It's looking as if you really might have a bad one, but this still isn't quite adding up, since it kinda sorta worked before you tried charging it, which it sounds as if it pretty much was already.

Hmmm ... I just turned one on and off a few times, and it can be tricky. A little fussy about timing of the clicks and such .....

Try this, if you would ... twist the voltage knob back and forth a few times, then rap the damn thing on a hard surface a few times to "realign the electrons", so to speak. Try the 5-click thing a few more times, and then go ahead and declare it the first DOA Twist I've heard of. Do you have any backup, or is that it? I always recommend 2-3 Twists and two chargers.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Its my first/only non mini so I'm not SOL except when out of the house for more than a couple hours.
I'll try the above when I get home. Thanks!

OK, good luck with it - and if all else fails, you're right next door so feel free to come on over and we'll fire up the fog machine - WOOT!!

:vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor:

bombshellECHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
A, A
Hook somthing to it (like a carto or something) then if it blinks a few times its dead. Mine did this yesterday right in the middle of the day. Im supposing there is a short somewhere and theres some kind of protection kicking in. Kinda sucks mine was only 2 weeks old :/

So try that and see ehat happens

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
bombshellECHO
I've tried 2 known working attys, some cartos, and a ce5, I get no response led wise from anything and nothing fires.

RMV has been writing me (awesome customer service BTW, I would definitely purchase from them again) trying to troubleshoot it. He's a bit concerned the charger was faulty and shorted the twist which may have caused this issue.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
bombshellECHO
I've tried 2 known working attys, some cartos, and a ce5, I get no response led wise from anything and nothing fires.

RMV has been writing me (awesome customer service BTW, I would definitely purchase from them again) trying to troubleshoot it. He's a bit concerned the charger was faulty and shorted the twist which may have caused this issue.

I've been recommending "two or three" 650mah Twists and two chargers; now it's going to be THREE Twists and two chargers.

Please keep us posted; I'm very interested in this, since as I say, it's the first Twist failure I've ever heard of.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
OK, good luck with it - and if all else fails, you're right next door so feel free to come on over and we'll fire up the fog machine - WOOT!!

:vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor: :vapor:

41DWDXRN5XL.jpg
gasmask1th.jpg

interesting 'mod' thread.... a while back :)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/62775-wizard-why-not.html

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
When it broke down I did searching on here. Not the first 24 hour failure I read about(I found one other thread I think?), but not like the way mine died, it was like the opposite problem if i remember correctly (fired but wouldnt charge, negative lead inside wasnt attached properly)

Dave at RMV had me try a couple more things (plugging it in with USB only and not wall adapter) but still nothing. So he is going to replace it.
Just really amazing customer service, I know now where I'll be telling family to shop for their entry PV's because he was very helpful, and quick with troubleshooting emails.

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
I got my replacement twist and USB charger.
Everything is working great. Vapes like a freight train. 5clicks on off is smooth, charging went well. etc.
I'm going to have to lower my nic 'methinks'.
I will note there were some differences in how the charging went, ie, the way the USB charger blinked red/green while charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread