Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
I thought that it may be a good idea for new members to have a place to refer to for cleaning and maintenance of their SSGTS. The information below is gathered from some conversations that have taken place in the threads.

Would any of you GG Whizzes kindly critique/add to/take from what I've put together so far? I'm still learning so it would be helpful. Also, please let me know if you think that this is a good idea or overkill.

My intention in putting this together is to compile some of the good advice that the vets here have offered, and put it somewhere so that they do not need to perpetually give this advice. This is just a draft and I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cleaning
Recommendations include ultrasonic cleaning or cleaning gently with a very mild dish detergent like Dove. Jewelry cleaner can be used, select the type that is for gold or fine jewelry. Use an old toothbrush to clean threads, if necessary. Never use unfamiliar chemicals to clean a GG as the results can be disastrous. Take apart the GG completely and use the time to check your o-rings and lubricate them. They will perform better and last longer if you take the time to do so.
Lubrication should be done with Vaseline or Mineral Oil. Other materials, like noalox, may be hard to remove once they are applied. If you have heavy build up in the threads, Acetone may be used on the threads or the same polish that you are using on the PV.

Resources:
assembling and vaping GGTS (1) - YouTube
assembling and vaping GGTS (2) - YouTube
assembling and vaping GGTS (3) - YouTube

Buffing and Polishing

Never use abrasive polish.

(Old Engravings) While polishing (or buffing) always be careful to cover the engravings with tape.
(New Engravings) Deeper so should be ok to polish over engravings.

Recommended Products:
While there will always be an argument for or against superior products for polishing a GG, the following products have been used successfully:

• Flitz liquid
  • Sharkhide Metal Polish – Can be used for Aluminum, Nickel and Stainless.
  • Mother’s Wax
  • Cape Cod Cloths

Using buffing equipment is only recommended for those who are experienced. Using a dremel or abrasive polish on a GG may cause permanent damage. Those who would like their GGs buffed and polished and do not have this expertise can simply go to a jewelry store to have it professionally done.

Restoration

If your GG has engravings that are no longer visible, restoration will have to be professionally done:
The procedure will need to include:
1. Remove all the plating.
2. Polish until the previous engraving leave the tube
3. Laser engrave
4. Plate

Problems
Black Spots on a New SS GG
Occasionally, a new GG may have marks that are left on steel from machining. Take polish and a microfiber cloth and some elbow grease. These spots are oil residue from the CNC machines and are removed permanently with very little effort.
Misfiring or Not Firing
Most misfires are from dirt and gunked up juice in the connector. Also make sure to clean the bottom post and the base of the button's moving pin. Also clean the edges of the spring and extend it. Using an eraser on the contacts may help to remove any film and eliminate misfires. If eraser doesnt work then use a very fine sand paper like a 1500 one.
Button Cleaning
Resources:
Button Assembly: assembling GG's button - YouTube
Button Removal and Installation GG button removal, adjustments and installation - YouTube

Problem: Button will not come off
Do not use pliers to remove buttons as you may damage the locking ring or the head of the button. Try using a rubber band or wear rubber gloves to get a better hold when unscrewing.
If the button is really dirty and stuck, spray with some penetrating oil.....let it set for a while and then unscrew it.

After you get the switch off, clean thoroughly and reinstall.

Last edited by a moderator:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
I made some very small changes to your post my dear and now its perfect! Maybe we forget some things but I can always edit this post everytime you send me new info.

One of the best threads around, so people will be always able to find the solution to their issue.

I will now stick this thread. A very big thanks for your work my dear!!:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread