Tarnished Button Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've only had my GGTS for a few days but the button has already gone dark - not a complaint, I use this thing like 16 hours a day. I was just curious if there are any nifty (and safe) household items to clean the button and if anyone else has experienced this? Its not a huge deal I have been polishing it with a microfiber cloth (the SS that is) everyday to get my finger prints off it before setting it up for the night or for a short period. I wasn't sure if some of the brass polishing tips I found on the internet would be as safe on a GG such as soaking in salt and white vinegar.

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was able to actually clean the button up with a bit of vodka and the tongue scraper of a tooth brush. It could totally use some buffing to make it shine properly again as it now has something of a 'matte' brass look but at least its not almost black! I figured the SS would be safe to clean in vinegar but wasn't sure about the brass parts. Thanks for the info Shroom.

shroom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2013
Brooklyn
Thanks Imeo, I think I am just going to invest in a sonic cleaner I should have 20$ in amazon gift cards next month from a research panel can anyone suggest a good one for about 30-40$? I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews in that price range lol.

You won't be impressed by a sonic cleaner unless its an industrial with at least of $400+ in price. I bought Branson( picture below) for $120 to clean my harmonicas. Still I have to take my harmonica apart to clean them in the sonic for about two hours.

B200new2.jpg

blackwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
NH
www.blackwatersound.com
You won't be impressed by a sonic cleaner unless its an industrial with at least of $400+ in price. I bought Branson( picture below) for $120 to clean my harmonicas. Still I have to take my harmonica apart to clean them in the sonic for about two hours.

View attachment 223412

Not true. My $20 ultrasonic works beautifully on all of my items including my GG stuff, wife's jewelry and 510 attys that get gunked up.

blackwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
NH
www.blackwatersound.com
I take my ggts apart when going into the sonic. All GG comes apart into pieces, then a good clean.

I do too Yankee. I get nervous with all those little pieces but I make sure I do it before a couple pints. Also I put the metal screen over the sink hole just in case I drop a pin or something while rinsing. Everything comes out shiny.

TheSneakerHoarder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
DFW
To be clear, the poster that said "$400 ultra-sonics..." is correct. I use them every day for medical uses and the cheap ones barely work, if you can call it that. The cheap ones do not actually have the mechanical parts to truly use sonic waves. However, a ggts isn't a medical grade instrument with blood and bodily fluids died to it. So a cheap one might do the trick, provided the correct detergent is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread