New Hana clones with TC from Cigabuy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barruel

Apr 18, 2014
Spain
I was wandering around Cigabuy and I've found those new Hana clones with TC (listed on 4/30/2015).
I know that the first chinese DNA40 clones that showed up at FT where garbage, but looking at the specs of these new mods, I saw this:

Main Chip: SGS-THOMSON Microelectronics

I have googled that and found nothing interesting. Everything is from chinese sources (alibaba and the likes), so it must be a pretty new chip. There is, however, a video (uploaded by Cigabuy) which shows in action an "authentic SMOCARE Perfect 40W Temperature Control mod" featuring the aforementioned SGS-THOMSON chip. I have no experience with DNA40 nor TC, so I can't say if it works as it should just by looking at the video.

This is the video:

I wonder if anyone here has any references about it.

I'm asking because I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger and buying it. Yesterday I purchased an smok Xpro M80 from GB and I'm feeling a bit bad with myself, but if the TC works decently on this Hana, then it's a bargain.

If I'm thinking about getting it is partly because yesterday I've received a 30W Hana clone from CB (pretty recent also, as it was listed on 9/4/2015) and it is so good that I've found myself using it more than my iPV 2s (it has even an SS spring loaded 510). Looking at the pics, this TC mod might be from the same manufacturer (KSD probably), because the box is different (the 30W came with the classic "Enjoy vaping... anytime, anywhere!" box), but the insides of the mod have the same blue translucent electronics cover and the same sticker in the same place.

Reactions: Shigura

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
My take on the cloned dna 40 chips is this, don't do it. Unless its been from a tried and true unit/source such as Kangxin/Wadiea Time Vaporflask. As I'm typing this out I'm vaping on a VS rDNA 40w clone I purchased from Gearbest, chip unknown. Temp mode works but my cotton has to be wet or it will scorch my wick. Flipping from temp to regular and excuse my french but its a @#*%& as its 510 connection is funky as can be. Which randomly likes to say "Is it a new coil? "

Now my biggest negative on this device with an unknown TC mode is that it DOES NOT throttle my wattage when it hits the temp wall you would set on it. That means it will continue to push lets say 30w @450F so once it hits 450 its supposed to throttle that 30w down. In this case it doesn't so it will exceed that temp limit and it won't show it in the real time display. Although "it works" I kinda wish I didn't waste 70 bucks on this thing and bought the legit VS rDNA40 (lol I did and should be here monday). Now Angelcigs, focalecig, and fasttech have a new device that should be hitting their shelves soon and thats the mini VF by kangxin (new model, their cloned chip retooled to be of their very own design). But wait til you see some reviews before taking the plunge.

TL/DR: unknown cloned dna 40 chips are a crap shoot unless its a tried and true model don't waste your dough.

Reactions: Barruel

Barruel

Apr 18, 2014
Spain
Well...

I'm a weak guy I guess and I've cancelled the Smok XPro M80 order from GB (which was a bargain at rougly 40$) and got the TC Hana clone in the OP. If TC doesn't work well, I'll have a regular 40W mod, which is nice for the price if it is something like the 30W I've got. It looks like it is looking at the pics.

After buying it, I've found some videos about an Smocare chipped Hana DNA40 TC clone:

The first 2 videos are from February 2015, and the reviewers seem to be very happy with the mods. I can't see what it is displayed at startup of the mod in the second video, but in the first it reads "Smocare", and shots with the cover removed in the first video match the pics in the CB ad. The guy in the second video updated the video description after a month of usage and is still very happy.

The third video is from the middle of march. The bundle the mod came in is exactly the same that is being shown in the pics of the CB page. He mods the box to magnets halfway the video (with just glue and no drilling) and seems delighted with the TC in the mod. According to the description of the video, he got it from AC. The pictures from AC also match the ones in CB, so I guess that that's what I've bought. The only difference seems to be the price, which is 20$ cheaper in CB.

There is also some bad feedback in the comments of at least 2 of the videos. China, I guess. Let's hope mine comes good...

Last edited:

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
All things considered I hope the best for ya. As for the Smocare mod of their own seeing how it has a rather weak battery and built in the design was a huge negative for me. But to place its chip into a box that can replace batteries should be quite alright. Upshot to this is if it doesn't work out you now have a box should you attempt to build your own!

Reactions: Barruel

Barruel

Apr 18, 2014
Spain
I think I should update this...

Yesterday I received the chinese TC Hana clone I've talked about in the OP and today I've got a mod with a genuine DNA40 board in it. The DNA40 is in an uberexpensive second hand genuine mod I've bought. It is an original design, but looks very very close to a Hana Mini. With a 18650 and magnetic cover, is what the Hana Mini should have been. It's called the "Pandora v2". AFAIK, the board is from late January. It can display the temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius scales and works flawlessly. No screen glitches nor any other flaws I've noticed.

The chinese Hana comes unlogoed and seems indeed to come from the same factory the excellent Hana DNA30 clone mentioned in the OP came from. Unless the spring loaded 510 in the DNA30 clone, the 510 is fixed in this one and the general build quality is slightly worse. There are some weird "undulations" in the aluminium in the button side and it came with 6 mm screws for the cover which were too short and left noticeable holes. I've fixed that with 8 mm screws, which sit flush in their holes.

Once I've got a coil working right (which has taken a bit more than expected because the screws kept cutting my coils), I've tested the same atty on both mods. Electronics wise, the TC in the chinese Hana clone works and works very well. I've been running a 10 wraps 28 AWG Ni200 spaced coil built over a 2 mm Kuro (0.13 ohms according to both mods) and I've been firing it at 20W on both mods. With the temperature, I've settled at 410º F/210º C, which seems to suit the 20W well. Generally speaking, the genuine DNA has a "smooth" and "agile" feeling in the way it regulates the temperature that I can't find in the chinese Hana, but other than that there are very few differences, and most of the are actually minor things:

1. The batteries seem to last noticeably longer in the genuine DNA40. I've done the whole initial contact with nickel builds on the Hana clone and in the process I've changed the batteries 3 or 4 times. With the genuine DNA40 I'm still with the original battery I've put in it this afternoon. It is true that I did a lot of bad coils and overtested them until I had a good one, so time will tell if the DNA40 is actually handling the battery better than the chinese Hana clone.

2. Apart from the Celsius display in the genuine DNA40, both boards do the same: left/right and normal/stealth modes, temperature setting and power lock. The chinese board can be shut down by holding the up button and pressing the down button 5 times when in power lock mode. It then displays "Byebye!" and goes off. In such state, pressing the up and down buttons has no effect and the mod is brought back to life by pressing the power button. I've been unable to reproduce this in the genuine DNA40.

3. The genuine DNA40 is extremely responsive. It fires as soon as the fire button is pressed, while the chinese clone has a slight delay when firing. It's very slight, almost unnoticeable, but it's there. I'm talking about the actual firing of the mod when going to pull. There is no delay when waking up from sleep and this has nothing to do with the delay present in for example Hotcig's DNA30 clones.

4. The chinese Hana clone does no preheat to the coil. The DNA40 does it. Both seem to step down OK when TP kicks in.

5. When the genuine DNA40 throttles the power it displays a nice "Temperature protected" message. The chinese Hana just throttles the power without displaying any message.

All in all, I'm very happy with both mods. There is "something else" in the genuine DNA40, but the chinese board is extremely good for the price.

TL;DR: The overall feeling of the genuine DNA40 is somewhat better, but the chinese TC Hana clone works OK. The differences are actually minor.

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
New and sad update.

The mod has suddenly a peacefully passed away. No signal on the screen and no sign of life at all on button press.

A pity, because it worked extremely well. Another one is on the way home.

How do Cigabuy deal with warranties? Should I bother?
Warned ya didn't I lol anywho... I shipped my vs clone back to gearbest when it wouldn't fire any atomizer anymore for full refund. However, it cost me $20+ just to ship it back so that has to be taken into account. So thats less money I'm getting back. Find out your options and file it under "never doing that again".

Barruel

Apr 18, 2014
Spain
Warned ya didn't I lol anywho... I shipped my vs clone back to gearbest when it wouldn't fire any atomizer anymore for full refund. However, it cost me $20+ just to ship it back so that has to be taken into account. So thats less money I'm getting back. Find out your options and file it under "never doing that again".

According to their help pages, they also refund the returning costs. Assuming they take care of the dead mod, I don't know if they will refund or replace it, but I'm sure that none of these things will happen soon. They'll take their time. At least that's what happened with my returns to FT.

So I've blatantly ignored your advice not just once but twice and I've just bought another one. I just love the Hana touch and feel and the TC worked wonderfully well, so I' couldn't wait so much to have it again.

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
According to their help pages, they also refund the returning costs. Assuming they take care of the dead mod, I don't know if they will refund or replace it, but I'm sure that none of these things will happen soon. They'll take their time. At least that's what happened with my returns to FT.

So I've blatantly ignored your advice not just once but twice and I've just bought another one. I just love the Hana touch and feel and the TC worked wonderfully well, so I' couldn't wait so much to have it again.
Refund shipping too, well .... get on that! I apologize for the advice bit, and honestly I'm embarassed on my purchase of a dna clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread