New here and have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DZ

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
Littleton, CO
Let me start by saying hello.

What turned me onto pving was a coworker who's uncle used it to quite smoking, I tried it and liked it. (it was a Blu)

What I have now is a crappy Smoker Friendly brand pv. (I have ego-t in the mail)

I still smoke analogs probably will till I find that right mixture as smoker friendly brand is not cutting it.(have cut down to about half the analogs)

My wife would like a pv kit as well, since she is a far less smoker than me I was thinking the joye 510

My questions are
Where is a good place to get a starter kit for her?
If not the 510 then what kind do you suggest?
Since she smokes less cigs a day then me should I get nic lower for her? we smoke same brand. (newport)
Who offers a great menthol? I have read on here Nuport by drew is good or the 555 blend is good as well.
In the long run is it cheaper to make your own juices or just buy them?
Any advise for a noob beginner?

That's about it for now will ask more as they come to me.

36tinybells

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
Right Over Here
First of all, welcome!
I would never recommend a 510, but some might. I also think an ego/riva is so much less hassle, more likely to be a success. myPVshop.com has cheap ego clones, Randall is a good person to deal with. Nic level is hard to predict. She smokes less, so why keep her nic level too low- she will have to vape that much more to get her nic. 18 mg would probably be a fair start point.
CCV has a good Newport clone for menthol. And yes, it is definitely cheaper to make your own!

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
If you smoke a pack or more a day you might want to start with 24mg. If not then 16mg or 18mg.

I was recommending the Bloog for people who are light vapors, or want something smaller. Our resident mouse suggested:

Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes | Wholesale Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigarette | Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarette

It is cheaper to make your own juice, but there is a lot of really good juice out there and it's pretty cheap. I went from spending $150 per month on cigarettes to $35 to $40 on juice and cartos.

rwnielsen

Test Pilot
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
Long Beach CA
Once you get your eGo-T and a couple juices you like you'll be on your way. 510's don't have much battery life but....if you keep one in the charger, you should be OK. I started out with a KR808 style (like a 510, different threads) and it got me off cigarettes. I got an eGo shortly after that and that's what I still use daily.
Welcome to the forum :)

Pete A.

Oct 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I would suggest you err on the high side on nicotine level. I made the mistake of starting too low and it took my third juice order before I got it high enough. Vaping doesn't seem to produce the quick spike of nicotine that a cigarette does. It is more gradual. If the nicotine level isn't high enough you may never be able to get to the level your brain wants gradually. My brother calls it falling behind the nicotine curve.

I would suggest starting with 18mg or 24mg.

Bill Berry

Oct 11, 2011
SEMO
New here too, and new to vaping but completely hooked! I got a 808 starter kit and 50 cartos for $70 from vaporsmiths DOT com 2 weeks ago, I think it was a good start. Day after I got it and started using it, I got 1 each for my 3 smoking kids! Got a few different juices from vapor station and liquid express, just starting to try those. I can see myself vaping instead of smoking from now on!

Maximillian

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
Nebraska
Heyas Dznut,

I agree with what the others suggested as far as fat batts. Since you have one on the way, the wife will probably find that it really isn't that huge or cumbersome to use.

One suggestion though. Either order 2 strengths of each liquid you want to try, or buy all high mg liquids, and a couple bottles of low mg or 0 mg liquids in a nuetralish flavor, or even unflavored. That way, you can do some simple diy and adjust the flavor downward, without any of the dangers associated with working with real high mg nic (anything above 36mg/ml say). The only problem is doubling you cost if you order high mg and low or 0mg of each juice to preserve the flavor when mixing, or diluting the taste if you go for unflavored low-0mg.

Happy hunting,
Maximillian the Vaguely Disreputable

JQside

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Canada
I've only been vaping for about a month now. I've got six types so far. I started with minis with disposable cartomizers, which I discovered in a local cigarette store. I then ordered and got pairs of 510-T, 901-T, 112/801-T, Ego and Ego-T. I've ended up relying on the Ego-T at first. Now I'm also beginning to like the BE112/DSE801-T, which were the last to reach my mailbox. They're giving me lots of vapors and seemed smoother similar to Ego-T. It's a pen style similar to 901 and the tank is the same as Ego-T's. I've got two pairs of batteries for the 112/801-T, one of which is auto and the other is manual type. And I'm liking them both. We probably have different manners of vaping, but I vape like I'm smoking a pipe, ie, puff and blow smoke while pipe is still in the mouth, then when enough vapors are generated, I let go of the pipe, then inhale and blow like you do on a real cigarette.

I ordered the 901-T because of this positive Youtube review. I was disappointed just like with the 510-T, which happened to have similar tanks. Maybe the one in the Youtube video wasn't a tank type. I don't know.

;-)

Last edited:

JCForever

Oct 30, 2011
Canada, B.C.
I also would think that a ego or something similar would be a good starter i never had much luck with my first 510 and now have moved on to high voltage mods. As for juice healthcabin.net has some pretty good cheap juices i love their menthol it is very minty and fresh tasting. And as for nic strength i have great luck with 24mg. 18mg doesnt seem to cut it for me. I used to smoke about a pack a day and when i vape i vape alot i would say i go through about 1ml or a little more a day.

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Wait until you get your kit for her to try out. I say this because she will get a stronger hit off of it than with a Joye 510..slim cig. Cartomizers would be a good idea also. They are easy to use versus the tanks. As for nic, 18-24mg to start with and adjust from there. As for how much you'll vape, only you will know the answer. Get several different flavors until you find one you like then buy a big bottle. Keep the ones you don't care for as spares in the event you run low...it's better to vape than to smoke. Good luck to you both.

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    Well, if she's really stuck on going with a cigarette-sized device, I would generally recommend a KR808D-1. You can get a good price on the Volt. It's basically the same hardware as a Bloog. However, none of the parts are really compatible with your eGo. And she'll want a 510->808/901 adapter (cheap) if she wants to move up to a bigger PV.

If she plans to stick with it, a PCC and at least one manual battery are good to have.

The Joye 510 isn't a bad kit. Just not as performant as an 808. It's comparable to your Blu. However, the Blu charger will fry a genuine Joye battery (polarity is reversed). There is a PCC available for the Joye 510 to keep the batteries going. (I believe the battery life is 150 mAh.)

It probably wouldn't hurt to let her try the eGo for a while before splurging on a kit.

wyckdkarma

Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Garner, NC
    I got my first ecig in January and my mom tried it and ordered hers that day. She hasn't had an analog since! It took me a little longer to completely give them up.
    That said, I will say that it is very nice to have compatible parts!! If you get something different, splurge on a couple of adapters! Crazy things happen.. batteries give out (especially if you accidentally leave them in your pocket and they enjoy a cycle with the rest of your laundry), atomizers stop working (especially if you engage them for too long trying to learn how to clean them), etc... not that these things have happened to me :oops:
    Congrats and enjoy your new kit!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread