New here, considering E-Cigs, advice sought please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm sorry about your sister. I switched to vaping right before I got diagnosed with the dreaded condition. Desperation is a powerful tool.

OP, I hope you come back and read the information on the thread, although some of it is overwhelming. I would just say start SOMEWHERE not too expensive and go from there. Your first setup is unlikely to be your last and you will need a backup anyway if you don't quit getting serious about quitting.

So I won't say much more about devices. I will say, switching to an ecig is different for everyone.

You also won't know if vaping is for you until AFTER you make the switch. Cutting cigarettes I half will not give you your taste buds back, your breathing back, your sense of smell back.

I'm not saying don't dual use. But I am saying dual use makes it much harder to experience the real benefits of vaping, so consider that as well.

Anna

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
When you first begin vaping you can expect a few symptoms like coughing, dry mouth, or headaches. These pass. A lot of folks will tell you that you have a PG sensitivity, that your juice is too strong, or that your nic type is inappropriate. Try not to prematurely jump on the special snowflake bandwagon or you'll end up inconveniencing yourself. But do stay hydrated because vaping will dry you out a bit by nature.
I will second that and add this to what you said by stating that you will also experience bronchitis type symptoms at first and it is not due to the vape itself but rather that as you smoke less and vape more your lungs will start to cleanse themselves of the tar that you have been inhaling from smoking cigs for numerous years. Smoking itself dries the lungs out and when you vape it actually adds moisture back into the lungs in a very similar fashion as using a nebulizer breathing treatment machine. My primary doctor used me as an experiment per se by documenting the effects on my health as a result of tansitioning from a 4 pack a day habit to vaping.
To be in full disclosure I had tried all the prescription drugs and things like the gums and losenges for nicotine cravings and nothing helped me quit or reduce my smoking. I knew that I was making a pretty sizeable investment purchasing my first vape rig, so I committed to putting the cigs down and giving vaping a whole hearted chance. My doctor did a baseline breathing test, blood oxygen sturations, and a battery of other tests one week before I was going to purchase my rig this way we could track the effects as I went on this journey.
Like I stated in my initial reply to this thread I was not a dual user and did not have any eliquids that mimicked the flavor of tobacco products; I used dessert flavors exclusively. As a matter of fact, I still remember my first flavor purchases; they were Twinky, strawberry milkshake, peanutbutter cup, caramel vanilla cappuccino, and blueberry crumble. Each of these were 10ml bottles and at 24mg. I didn't touch another cig for 2 weeks until the dropped tank episode and well that was the last drag I've ever had. I lost 27 pounds in the first 2 months my blood oxygen saturation had improved by over 80% in the first 90 days, my blood pressure which has always been good was even lower it was 68 over 105, and my lung intake capacity had improved by 40%. I spent the first 30 days coughing up globs of stuff that I won't begin to describe in detail but I welcomed it because my chest didn't feel as heavy and I wasn't running out of breath climbing stairs anymore. Oh and I did not take any antibiotics, I let my body do this naturally. I found that I enjoyed eating healthier I wasn't having to over season my foods, vegetables and fruits tasted like something instead of just being a texture in my mouth, I wasn't snacking all the time either because I had more energy from sleeping better and a higher oxygen concentration in my blood stream.
I promise you that my doctor was simply amazed at the transformation I had made by the 6 month mark. He went as far as when I had to go for my wellness exam as listing me as tobacco free and gave me a clean bill of health. I have had numerous chest x-rays and my lungs are clear and according to what he said it takes 5 years for the lungs to heal themselves to a point that they are like one has never smoked I am now over 6 almost 7 years smoke free and my lung pics are clear and I am able to run and exercise without it resulting in becoming dizzy and falling out. My doctor actually after documenting my health transformation recommends vaping to patients looking to quit smoking. He asked me why I had succeeded using a vape when everything else had been a failure and I stated that it was because I didn't have a nicotine crash and it satisfied the hand to mouth and deep inhale characteristics that smoking involved. I always smoked more when I was stressed and some habits are really hard to break.
I told him I managed to change quite a few triggers like instead of having a cig and a coffee like I had done every morning, I had a vape and tea, when I was out for an evening instead of having a cig and beers, I had a vape and a Tanqueray and tonic. I just made new habits that were exclusive to vaping and now it doesn't matter because what I did smoking is no longer an issue but at first it could have been because we as humans are creatures of habit. Each person needs to look at what you commonly do when smoking and deviate from that by substituting something similar but very different to accommodate the vape so that it doesn't trigger an urge to return back to the former habit.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
it is not due to the vape itself but rather that as you smoke less and vape more your lungs will start to cleanse themselves
Great observation! Be sure not to conflate the tobacco-cessation symptoms with the starting-vaping symptoms.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
Great observation! Be sure not to conflate the tobacco-cessation symptoms with the starting-vaping symptoms.
It is one of the greatest misconceptions that people transitioning will encounter and it is used by anti-vape communities as a crutch to dissuade people by misleading them to believe that vape is worse than cigs and the cause of such symptoms. I feel that since having had my journey tracked by a medical professional it is my duty to inform newcomers to vaping that this is what they can expect and why. There is far too much negative propaganda out there and most of which is unsubstantiated by any medical science, that is why forums like this are paramount for providing real world experience and truthful success stories.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
It is one of the greatest misconceptions that people transitioning will encounter and it is used by anti-vape communities as a crutch to dissuade people by misleading them to believe that vape is worse than cigs and the cause of such symptoms. I feel that since having had my journey tracked by a medical professional it is my duty to inform newcomers to vaping that this is what they can expect and why. There is far too much negative propaganda out there and most of which is unsubstantiated by any medical science, that is why forums like this are paramount for providing real world experience and truthful success stories.
In that case, it would be a great idea to start using paragraph breaks so as not to discourage your readers with massive walls of text.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Smoking itself dries the lungs out and when you vape it actually adds moisture back

This does make sense, but I heard this wasn't entirely true...i have definitely seen this out there, that vaping kind of puts water or whatever in your lungs , but its usually said by anti vapors . I then see our side saying that this is kind of b/s.....with what your saying, after you have healed from smoking and your lungs are not dried up any more then vaping will continue to add moisture? Perhaps moisture and water collecting and staying are two different things , so maybe it's a fine line?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Foggyroomz said:
Smoking itself dries the lungs out and when you vape it actually adds moisture back.
I'd like to see some scientific documentation on that last statement.

Although as vapers we tell nonvapers that its not smoke, but water vapor, thats not entirely true. The Pg and Vg in the vapor are dessicants which draw moisture from tissues. Hense the dry mouth and throat that many new vapers complain of and spurs the veterans to say drink plenty of fluids or suck on hard candy while you vape.

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
This does make sense, but I heard this wasn't entirely true...i have definitely seen this out there, that vaping kind of puts water or whatever in your lungs , but its usually said by anti vapors . I then see our side saying that this is kind of b/s.....with what your saying, after you have healed from smoking and your lungs are not dried up any more then vaping will continue to add moisture? Perhaps moisture and water collecting and staying are two different things , so maybe it's a fine line?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
There are things that are wet, that aren't water. Added moisture isn't always a good thing either. Too much moisture in the lungs is called pneumonia.

Reactions: vapdivrr

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are things that are wet, that aren't water. Added moisture isn't always a good thing either. Too much moisture in the lungs is called pneumonia.
Water in the lung technically is called Pulmonary Edema. Pneumonia refers to inflamation or infection of the alveoli sacs in the lungs.

(Retired physician's assistant and registered nurse)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The Pg and Vg in the vapor are dessicants which draw moisture from tissues.
I'm not sure I'd call them desiccants. They are hygroscopic for sure, meaning they will pull moisture from the air or wherever they can get it, but they also do a nice job of holding moisture in place. Try applying some VG to dry skin...

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I don't know much about this or that, but I know my story and I think I had a purpose like your 's does.

you see, I smoked all my life, but in my business, being military/government it has come to be frowned upon. The smell, the breaks, the standing outside in the freeze...Just being weak and not quitting. I tried everything to quit, was frustrated, addicted, tired, and demoralized. At my rank, something had to change.

Several semi-friends had switched to vaping and I watched and asked questions. I had a purpose that a Soldier could grasp onto. An old and rebellious Soldier at that. I didn't care about anything other than getting rid of cigarettes and all the crap that came with them.

One of those friends took me to a shop and got me set. I smoked the rest of that day and decided that the next day would be vaping only. The nic content was 24mg juice whereas the friend said 18mg vape similar to a Marlboro Red. I wasn't going to do this "tenderly".

I got up and took 3-4 draws and sat it down. I figured my body would tell me when it wanted more nicotine. You see, the nicotine is the addiction. I figured that I just had to ensure that it would work.

45 minutes later my tongue started itching..3-4 more draws. I did this for the morning and realized that it worked. If I worked with it.

Flavor sucked because my taste buds were burnt. My sense of smell was very messed up, too. I did not care. I was getting my need and not smoking a cigarette.

I did notice that vaping takes 1-2 minutes to get into the system, okay, I can deal with that. Morning coffee needed more...I took a couple more draws...in the kitchen. Woo-hoo, I can vape in the house! NEKID!

After about 2-3 weeks my smell started to come back. Wow! My closet stank. "Clear a path to the washer!" .

I gotta say, taste took a lot longer. I see it like tasting a piece of Apple pie. At first it was just some sort of Apple that was gummy. Then better Apple and some cinnamon. Then the crust got some clarity. It too several months.

So what! Big freakin' deal, I was not smoking!

Another thing was that I decided was that I could spend the same amount of money that I did on vaping as I did on smoking, so long as I did not smoke. I tried different things with different hardware.

Juice, I tried a lot of fancy, smancy ones, then have up on flavor testing until I could accurately judge a flavor as good or bad. A light peppermint cream worked well enough.

One thing that helped a lot is that I made it a hobby. I eventually found this forum and I read every day, taking notes of abbreviations, accronyms, and the slang and tried to answer those. I just started learning and meeting others and reading their experiences. I read a lot. Still do every day.

Eventually, I got picky and started to diy. Whoa! That is a hobby all in itself. My wife said I should wear a chef's hat and open a store. What she didn't know was that no two people have the same taste buds.

I am pretty much always thinking and experimenting, it is satisfying. Wait, I got a hobby!

I sloooowly lowered my mix content and my doctor very much approves. The tests show it.

Life is good. I had a purpose and I switched...overnight. It is in my signature. You have to WANT to get rid of cigs. You have to put on your war face and not give up. Go in hard and stick to your purpose.

Do you want to get your nic needs a different, and, healthier way? Do you have a war face?

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I don't know much about this or that, but I know my story and I think I had a purpose like your 's does.

you see, I smoked all my life, but in my business, being military/government it has come to be frowned upon. The smell, the breaks, the standing outside in the freeze...Just being weak and not quitting. I tried everything to quit, was frustrated, addicted, tired, and demoralized. At my rank, something had to change.

Several semi-friends had switched to vaping and I watched and asked questions. I had a purpose that a Soldier could grasp onto. An old and rebellious Soldier at that. I didn't care about anything other than getting rid of cigarettes and all the crap that came with them.

One of those friends took me to a shop and got me set. I smoked the rest of that day and decided that the next day would be vaping only. The nic content was 24mg juice whereas the friend said 18mg vape similar to a Marlboro Red. I wasn't going to do this "tenderly".

I got up and took 3-4 draws and sat it down. I figured my body would tell me when it wanted more nicotine. You see, the nicotine is the addiction. I figured that I just had to ensure that it would work.

45 minutes later my tongue started itching..3-4 more draws. I did this for the morning and realized that it worked. If I worked with it.

Flavor sucked because my taste buds were burnt. My sense of smell was very messed up, too. I did not care. I was getting my need and not smoking a cigarette.

I did notice that vaping takes 1-2 minutes to get into the system, okay, I can deal with that. Morning coffee needed more...I took a couple more draws...in the kitchen. Woo-hoo, I can vape in the house! NEKID!

After about 2-3 weeks my smell started to come back. Wow! My closet stank. "Clear a path to the washer!" .

I gotta say, taste took a lot longer. I see it like tasting a piece of Apple pie. At first it was just some sort of Apple that was gummy. Then better Apple and some cinnamon. Then the crust got some clarity. It too several months.

So what! Big freakin' deal, I was not smoking!

Another thing was that I decided was that I could spend the same amount of money that I did on vaping as I did on smoking, so long as I did not smoke. I tried different things with different hardware.

Juice, I tried a lot of fancy, smancy ones, then have up on flavor testing until I could accurately judge a flavor as good or bad. A light peppermint cream worked well enough.

One thing that helped a lot is that I made it a hobby. I eventually found this forum and I read every day, taking notes of abbreviations, accronyms, and the slang and tried to answer those. I just started learning and meeting others and reading their experiences. I read a lot. Still do every day.

Eventually, I got picky and started to diy. Whoa! That is a hobby all in itself. My wife said I should wear a chef's hat and open a store. What she didn't know was that no two people have the same taste buds.

I am pretty much always thinking and experimenting, it is satisfying. Wait, I got a hobby!

I sloooowly lowered my mix content and my doctor very much approves. The tests show it.

Life is good. I had a purpose and I switched...overnight. It is in my signature. You have to WANT to get rid of cigs. You have to put on your war face and not give up. Go in hard and stick to your purpose.

Do you want to get your nic needs a different, and, healthier way? Do you have a war face?
Your story is inspirational! Thank you for painstakingly tapping that out.

Victortyday

Moved On
Jul 30, 2019
  • Deleted by Misty

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    (Wow, I did all that with one finger on a tablet! I must know it will work. GRRRR!!!!)
    Here's a tip from another one finger warrior- install a keyboard called SwiftKey. It helps by suggesting words. Really cuts down on the work and I find it much easier than my pc board.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread