New here (sort of)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
First, I'm back and forth between Ontario, Canada and Southern California.

I joined several months ago after getting an Ego S kit while in California. I was shocked at how I didn't even think of a cigarette. It was a spur of the moment decide to buy it and AFTER the fact, I started to read online. I was going to be going back to Canada in a couple of weeks and discovered that in Canada e-cigs with nic were not 'recommended.' So I went back to analogs. At customs going to Canada, I asked the customs agent about e-cigs and he said it wasn't on their list and unless I said I was bringing it back for resale or large volume, he would not have flagged me for check. I was surprised given that I know stuff is getting seized at the border. In any event, I returned to California a few weeks later and when coming back to Canada I brought back my stuff.

So I'm on day 3 now of serious e-cig usage. I had been smoking 2-3 packs a day. I'm 45 and started at 16. Consumption had dramatically increased maybe 4 years ago with life stress from an average of 33 a day (based on how often I'd purchased cartons - that was how much I smoked for well over a decade). I've not smoked around 90 analogs in these 3 days. I've been using a timer to increase the time between analogs (a min more each one). Some analogs I want more and I find myself looking at the time and there's 20+ min left. Other times, the timer goes off and I add another 30 minutes. The taste and smell of analogs is getting to me now.

I am rotating between a fruity strawberry mango 11 mg and golden blend 24 mg. I'm feeling like I need something in between these 2 levels. I can't chain vape 24 mg and 11 mg just feels like it's not enough.

I realized today that I wasn't vaping properly today and it made a huge difference when I learned how to. Also, chain vaping bursts is really making it easier.

There's a place I'll be getting e-liquids from that has nic levels in 2 mg increments and has 7 ml and 30 ml bottles. I'm getting a few flavors in 7 ml at 20 mg, The plan is to gradually lower the level.

I've tried quitting a dozen times in the past. Twice as long as 6 months. But the brain fog for me is really tough. Plus, I'm normally an upbeat person and even after months quit, I'd feel depressed. Not about not smoking but general depression symptoms.

I'd love to be entirely free of any 'crutches' - smoking and vaping..... I don't know if it is the nicotine that resulted in the brain fog and depression before. If that is the case, it's nice to know there is a safer option than regular cigarettes now.

Another issue I'm contending with is that I've had very low blood pressure and when being off nicotine entirely before - my caffeine consumption also drops - and bp level drops to dangerously low levels. BUT about 6 weeks ago, I had some serious asthma issues and had to use inhaler many times. I saw a nurse practioner who said rhr was at 118 (!) vs normal 56 or so and bp was up. This was likely due to increased inhaler usage. But it was scary. Asthma has been better but I'm feeling anxiety a bit after that so it's part of the impetus for me wanting to quit analogs now.

I've spent these past few days reading up about quitting and e-cigs. Wow, the amount of misinformation on e-cigs is amazing in mainstream smoking cessation groups online. One forum I joined and posted on, I was jumped on for mentioning e-cigs. I was told they are dangerous, I could die from them, they were full of poison, they'd explode on me and on and on. Ironically the worst 2 had quit using Chantix!

Whew... long enough first post :)

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Welcome to the forum SharonH, as a 2 pad a day smoker, I actually chain vaped 24mg in the beginning, that's what it took so that's what I did. I have recently stepped down to 18mg and have been fine. I also have very low blood pressure, but it hasn't dropped too much since I started vaping. I would suggest drinking plenty of water as vaping is dehydrating , it helps you detox and might help with your blood pressure. I tried just about every method over the years to quit smoking and vaping has worked, so hang in there and good luck :)

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Welcome to the forum SharonH, as a 2 pad a day smoker, I actually chain vaped 24mg in the beginning, that's what it took so that's what I did. I have recently stepped down to 18mg and have been fine. I also have very low blood pressure, but it hasn't dropped too much since I started vaping. I would suggest drinking plenty of water as vaping is dehydrating , it helps you detox and might help with your blood pressure. I tried just about every method over the years to quit smoking and vaping has worked, so hang in there and good luck :)

Thanks so much! The water tip is VERY useful. That was the first time I heard that and it would explain part of the weirdness I'm feeling (mild dehydration). Congrats on 102 days!

General FYI - the packs I referred to are 20 not 25. I can't imagine ever having 75 cigarettes in a day (although 60 isn't that far from it).

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Thanks so much! The water tip is VERY useful. That was the first time I heard that and it would explain part of the weirdness I'm feeling (mild dehydration). Congrats on 102 days!

General FYI - the packs I referred to are 20 not 25. I can't imagine ever having 75 cigarettes in a day (although 60 isn't that far from it).

You welcome Sharon, I usually drink a fair bit of water anyway and I really had to up my intake when I started vaping thanks for the congrats and hopefully everything will smooth out for you :)

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
You welcome Sharon, I usually drink a fair bit of water anyway and I really had to up my intake when I started vaping thanks for the congrats and hopefully everything will smooth out for you :)

Had a lot of iced green tea today and was feeling loads better. So yes, dehydration was probably an issue. Analog count dropped again today - yay. I was able to get a bit of normal work done but am far from 100% focus level. I've had 42 cigarettes since Sunday vs anywhere from 120-160 - so a huge difference.

I am feeling a bit of heaviness and tightness in chest area today. I didn't vape that much - maybe 1.5 ml - 1/2 24 mg and 1/2 11 mg. So not sure if it's the not smoking or what. It's not painful or worrying to me with just one day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Abbell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Nicotine restricts capillaries and that in turn would increase blood pressure. When researching vaping I saw that the nicotine intake with vaping is much lower than with analogs (real cigs), but it was for more consistent. I believe I saw it on PBusardo's website http:/..................../

I have to have a big glass/tub of water handy when I chain vape due to dehydration.

Last edited:

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Had a lot of iced green tea today and was feeling loads better. So yes, dehydration was probably an issue. Analog count dropped again today - yay. I was able to get a bit of normal work done but am far from 100% focus level. I've had 42 cigarettes since Sunday vs anywhere from 120-160 - so a huge difference.

I am feeling a bit of heaviness and tightness in chest area today. I didn't vape that much - maybe 1.5 ml - 1/2 24 mg and 1/2 11 mg. So not sure if it's the not smoking or what. It's not painful or worrying to me with just one day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Wow that's great progress, your really reducing those cigarettes, slow and steady wins the race !I get a heaviness in my chest when vaping 70pg/30vg and am alright a 50/50, there are also a few flavors that do that to me. If it doesn't go away you might want to switch out your juices a bit. Keep us posted :)

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
thanks Abbell! Saved that site to Evernote since it looks like something worth checking out.

It's not worth checking out... It's a must. PBusardo is IMO by far the best best e-cig reviewer thats out there in the english speaking world, if you want to learn some stuff go to his site.

By the way... Keep on vaping and a warm welcome to ECF!

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Wow that's great progress, your really reducing those cigarettes, slow and steady wins the race !I get a heaviness in my chest when vaping 70pg/30vg and am alright a 50/50, there are also a few flavors that do that to me. If it doesn't go away you might want to switch out your juices a bit. Keep us posted :)

Thanks... last night was a bit tough: both my batteries needed recharging at the same time and I don't have passthrough :( So I had a few more cigarettes yesterday then I expected. Today has been much better - will be at probably 8-9 for the day.

I've only been using 100 VG. I think the issue for me was just chain vaping on 24 mg that day. It's been better since.

I got some 70 pg/30 vg today 18 mg and it feels much tougher than 24 mg 100vg... odd. No way I could chain vape that!

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
It's not worth checking out... It's a must. PBusardo is IMO by far the best best e-cig reviewer thats out there in the english speaking world, if you want to learn some stuff go to his site.

By the way... Keep on vaping and a warm welcome to ECF!

Thanks..my head is a bit foggy still with the physical changes to focus on the site. But getting there. Thanks for the welcome too! I'm from Montreal myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread