New member, just switched over to e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

abogart

Nov 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Hello everybody. :)

I have been reading this forum and its introductory pages (very nice material, btw) for about a week now and finally decided to become a member. I thought I might as well drop in and post my story, and maybe even get a few questions answered along the way.

I was a smoker of about a pack a day and knew that I would have to quit eventually, not only for my own health and my profession, but for the health and safety of my children and those around me. The problem is that I didn't want to quit, I enjoy my smoke breaks. So I decided to purchase an electronic cigarette starter kit for $20 from a local convenience store, the Cig2O. If nothing else I would at least know if I could actually use one of these things. If not, I would have only been out $20. I got the 18mg tobacco flavor, which didn't really taste like tobacco, more like a slight hint of plastic strawberries :confused:. Nevertheless, I found that I actually could use this thing in place of my daily cigarettes. Even if I only smoked 3 to 4 analogs per day, I was saving money and my health.

Now convinced that this was a long-term investment, I decided to explore my options for an upgrade. The best reviews that I could find seemed to point to the Green Smoke (which is strangely not mentioned AT ALL in this forum, wonder if this post will get deleted...) The problem is that the Green Smoke runs for $129 for the basic starter kit, and I would have had to order all refills through the mail. So I searched around and found an electronic cigarette store in my area :D. They showed me a few models and gave me a complementary Marlboro Light carto, which I was surprised actually had flavor, though still tasting like tobacco. I didn't buy a new unit that day, but did pick up a coffee sampler pack of cartos that fit my cheap battery, which seemed to produce an acceptable amount of vapor. Cappuccino was pretty good, espresso even better, the black coffee... SCORE! Found my favorite flavor so far.

Now realizing the difference between 2-piece and 3-piece setups, and that individual parts (batteries, cartomizers, etc.) are not entirely brand-specific, I decided to purchase an upgrade. I went back to the store the next day and told them what I wanted: a black battery with a push-button, blue light, and not much thicker than an analog but possibly longer. The ever-so-helpful woman behind the counter pulled up a fancy black box containing a KR808D-1 starter kit, which I excitedly purchased, along with a carrying case and some more cartos. The only thing that I was leary of was the fact that they didn't seem to advertise the brand of the product that they carry in that store (sometimes I would get V4L cartos and sometimes they would be blank), but I later found that the KR8 was the Smoking Anywhere brand, which seems to be somewhat reputable.

At this point (about 1 week after buying my first e-cig) I had smoked my last analog and switched entirely to e-cigs, without the slightest bit of craving. Surprisingly, I found that after tasting some of the new flavors, I really didn't want something that tastes like tobacco when I could have something much tastier to puff on. In fact, all I could really taste in the last analog that I had was the paper and that carpet glue crap they put in to make them "fire safe." Anyway, After experiencing a few burnt and low-vapor cartos, I decided to try to refill them myself.

Yesterday, following several instructional videos on youtube, I boiled, rinsed, and dried several of my used cartos to be refilled. Today, I bought a 30ml bottle of 24mg coffee juice and managed to successfully drip-fill each of them *insert tasty coffee-flavored vapor plume here*. Not quite sure why, but for some reason I had the urge to peel the labels off of each of the refilled cartos. The bare metal looks neat, all shiny and pretty, but there is still some sticky residue left on a few of them. Oh well. :facepalm:

Which brings us to where I am right now, posting in this forum. The KR808D-1 seems to be a preferred choice for many here, a reassuring fact for me :p. I have been thinking, though, about switching over to a 3 piece unit for my next upgrade. They seem to be a little more geared toward those that like to drip their own juice, but with the atties only lasting a week or so and the carts holding less juice, it doesn't seem worth it. Makes more sense to me just to buy blank cartos and fill them myself. I'm guessing they would last just as long (if not longer) than an atomizer and they go longer between refills/cleanings.

So anyway, that's my story. Glad to meet all of you! If anyone wants to chime in with some advice about the KR8 or refilling cartos and such, feel free! :p

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome to ECF , looks like you at least got off on the right foot . And congrats for getting off the stinky's . Before long , you will probably be wanting a bigger battery type PV (e-cig) longer battery life , more power , blah , blah , blah . There's also a world of accessories out there , but lately the 510 threading is sort of taking over , and the other one's are getting a bit tougher to find . So in that regard , maybe look for a 510 compatible device . That is if the KR8 isn't doing it for you anymore . If it is , then just keep using it . Nothing wrong with that either . Whatever works for you , is the best one to have .

spicyed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
New Jersey
Welcome to ECF! I too had no desire to go after flavors that tasted like the analogs I smoked. I was a menthol smoker, and I actually find myself preferring tobacco and fruit flavors instead of menthol.

I haven't seen anyone recommend carts, mainly just cartos or tanks. My first e cig used carts and the filling kept getting stuck in the atomizer and burning and it didn't hold much juice. Just my two cents.

abogart

Nov 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Welcome to ECF , looks like you at least got off on the right foot . And congrats for getting off the stinky's . Before long , you will probably be wanting a bigger battery type PV (e-cig) longer battery life , more power , blah , blah , blah . There's also a world of accessories out there , but lately the 510 threading is sort of taking over , and the other one's are getting a bit tougher to find . So in that regard , maybe look for a 510 compatible device . That is if the KR8 isn't doing it for you anymore . If it is , then just keep using it . Nothing wrong with that either . Whatever works for you , is the best one to have .

I, also, have noticed that 510 seems to be the popular choice. Although from what I have read, the KR8 has higher voltage and longer time between charges. However, if you have had better performance with a 510, let me know! Personally, I don't really care for the bigger bats (as of yet) because I don't want to look or feel like I'm sucking on an inhaler. I still like the feel of a cigarette in my hand, maybe that's just me though, always subject to change. Thanks for the welcome!

Nardonius

Nov 16, 2011
MD
welcome abogart, I too am rather new here (I've been lurking for a while but decided to make an account recently). Got an off-brand POS version of the eGo as my first PV (it was cheap...shoulda known better) and some relatively low quality juices. Just ordered a new Joyetech eGo-T kit and some juices from Virgin Vapors. I can't wait to get them (PV should be here in a day or two at most and I'm hoping for the juices by Monday)

abogart

Nov 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
Welcome to ECF! I too had no desire to go after flavors that tasted like the analogs I smoked. I was a menthol smoker, and I actually find myself preferring tobacco and fruit flavors instead of menthol.

I haven't seen anyone recommend carts, mainly just cartos or tanks. My first e cig used carts and the filling kept getting stuck in the atomizer and burning and it didn't hold much juice. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the welcome and good info spicyed! I will definitely keep that in mind when choosing my next unit.

abogart

Nov 15, 2011
Michigan, USA
welcome abogart, I too am rather new here (I've been lurking for a while but decided to make an account recently). Got an off-brand POS version of the eGo as my first PV (it was cheap...shoulda known better) and some relatively low quality juices. Just ordered a new Joyetech eGo-T kit and some juices from Virgin Vapors. I can't wait to get them (PV should be here in a day or two at most and I'm hoping for the juices by Monday)

Basically same thing I did, bought a cheap one just to see if it was doable. Better safe than sorry, right? We learn from our experiences and use them to move on to bigger and better things! Welcome to the forum!

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Welcome aboard the wonderful little/big world of ECF !

Cartomizers are awesome. I personally will use mine untill the draw becomes so bad I can't, then I toss them in the back of my drawer for "Vapeageddon" So typically I will use one a couple different cartomizers for well over a week. One for a fruity flavor, one for sweets like mint chocolate. Everyone raves about Boge cartomizer's and I must admit they are pretty good.
crystalclearvaping.com has insane deals on bulk cartomizers you might be interested in. Hopefully they'll have the size you need.

spicyed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
New Jersey
Okay, so for those that use cartos, about how long do they last, or how many times can you wash and reuse them before they are junk? Can they be refilled without washing them first?

I am not really sure how washing carto's works. I tried washing out a few prefilled ones that I had and didn't like the flavor by running them under hot water and blowing them out many times. (Following some advice in a video) I let them sit out to try for 2 days so far. I decided to try to use one earlier and they still have water in them. I would not recommend this method. I'd like some more info on this too if anyone has a good method.

That being said if you keep them wet with juice they can last for awhile. I am still using carto's that I got when I received my PV last week. I had one burn out though I think it was due to the juice I was using. (very dark juice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread