New member, nicotine question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandi75

Jan 23, 2021
Hi everyone, I've been vaping a little over 5 years now and making my own juice for about 4 years. In the beginning, I used flavors, but I like to keep it simple now. I was vaping a cheap pen-style battery (ego/510) and making 50/50 juice with 12 mg nicotine and using a 1.8 coil. That seemed to be a good nicotine amount, as I had started with 24 mg and have gradually cut down. Now, I just got a Smok Nord and the coil is 1.4, but I started getting palpitations and got a little light headed when I started vaping it. I am under the impression that certain coil strengths mean you need to cut down the nicotine? They put a .6 coil in the kit also, and that means I need to use less nicotine for that coil, right? I'm so confused about the nicotine and coil strength, and pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated. Also, if I use the .6 coil, whats a good pg/vg ratio? That needs to change too, right?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi @Brandi75 ,
Glad to hear of your successes!

Drop your nicotine level to 6mg/ml.
If you feel unsatisfied at 6mg/ml, try 9mg/ml.

Using a lower resistance coil may require you to decrease your nicotine level.

I tend to use 6mg/ml for resistances above .45Ω. If I go lower in resistance, I need to lower my mix to 3mg/ml or suffer the discomforts you experienced above.

The 50/50 should be fine unless the throat hit is too strong, then you may want to consider adding another 10% or 15% of VG to the mix.

Welcome to the ECF.
Cheers
I

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
I am under the impression that certain coil strengths mean you need to cut down the nicotine? They put a .6 coil in the kit also, and that means I need to use less nicotine for that coil, right? I'm so confused about the nicotine and coil strength, and pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated.
Lower Ohms = lower electrical resistance = more vapor = more nicotine into your lungs = more nicotine to your bloodstream = more nicotine getting to your heart & brain more quickly. Different people have different body chemistries and process nicotine & other things differently but, generally, lower Ohm's means using lower nic concentrations. Based on your experience as you related it, 6mg is what you'll want in your Nord, as Izan suggested.

Suggest you watch your vaping habits as well. The frequency with which you take puffs, how long they are, how long you hold your inhale ... What worked well with 12mg in a pen-style and what will work with a different nic concentration in a Nord pod kit with lower Ohm coils probably aren't the same but your habits may not have changed. Don't over-think it. Just listen to your body and you'll find what's right for you.

Brandi75

Jan 23, 2021
Thank you both so much! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I knew something wasn't right, and I wanted to be sure because I have so much vape juice made and didn't want to give myself a heart attack trying to vape it all as usual. Now I just need to figure out how much pg/vg to add to make it 9/6 mg. I want to try both. This is all new to me, so thanks again. Might end up with 3 different strengths before the day is done. Good news is it seems my nicotine will last me a lot longer now.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Thank you both so much! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I knew something wasn't right, and I wanted to be sure because I have so much vape juice made and didn't want to give myself a heart attack trying to vape it all as usual. Now I just need to figure out how much pg/vg to add to make it 9/6 mg. I want to try both. This is all new to me, so thanks again. Might end up with 3 different strengths before the day is done. Good news is it seems my nicotine will last me a lot longer now.

It's hard (if not next to impossible) to permanently damage yourself with nicotine through vaping. (Drinking it or even skin exposure to really high levels of nicotine are another story - it can be lethal taken those ways.) With vaping, it takes effect so quickly when it's inhaled that you'll be too miserable to vape long before you get to harmful levels. Common symptoms of too much nicotine are dizziness, nausea and headache, although your palpitations and light-headedness aren't unusual either. Some people even get the hiccups as an early warning sign.

To get 6 mg/ml: Equal parts your 12 mg/ml juice and 50/50 with no nicotine

To get 9 mg/ml: 3 parts 12 mg/ml juice and 1 part 0 mg/ml (To put in another way, add 1/3 as much 0 nic as you have 12 mg/ml, so 30 ml of 12 mg/ml + 10 ml of 0 mg/ml = 40 ml of 9 mg/ml)

And welcome to ECF!

Михаил

Moved On
Jan 30, 2021
  • Deleted by retired1

Михаил

Moved On
Jan 30, 2021
  • Deleted by retired1

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran