New and clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarksideBreanne

Feb 16, 2019
hello! My name is Breanne and I look forward to switching to vaping over cigs. I eventually want to cut down on my nicotine and smoking anything in general because I want to have children in the next couple of years. I am absolutely clueless about vaping and a lot of information online has insider speak so it makes it difficult to understand. The young man at the vape shop I went to was real nice and patient with my questions. I normally smoke Marlboro smooth 100s about a pack a day but not quite. Yesterday I bought a smok Nord and 6mg chubby bubble mystery juice. From what I was reading it was correct for me to use the .6 coil for that juice? I think, but the 1.4 coil it also came with would be for salt nicotine? Please correct me if I am wrong. My brother also said I should have gotten salt nicotine juice first. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
hello! My name is Breanne and I look forward to switching to vaping over cigs. I eventually want to cut down on my nicotine and smoking anything in general because I want to have children in the next couple of years. I am absolutely clueless about vaping and a lot of information online has insider speak so it makes it difficult to understand. The young man at the vape shop I went to was real nice and patient with my questions. I normally smoke Marlboro smooth 100s about a pack a day but not quite. Yesterday I bought a smok Nord and 6mg chubby bubble mystery juice. From what I was reading it was correct for me to use the .6 coil for that juice? I think, but the 1.4 coil it also came with would be for salt nicotine? Please correct me if I am wrong. My brother also said I should have gotten salt nicotine juice first. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Personally I believe 6mg nic is likely not strong enough. The only real difference between nic and salts is throat hit, salts are much smoother and can be vaped at higher percentage. Either will work fine in your device. I would suggest 12-18mg for either coil.

Welcome to ECF!

DarksideBreanne

Feb 16, 2019
Personally I believe 6mg nic is likely not strong enough. The only real difference between nic and salts is throat hit, salts are much smoother and can be vaped at higher percentage. Either will work fine in your device. I would suggest 12-18mg for either coil.

Welcome to ECF!

Yeah, I’ve noticed since yesterday I’ve had five cigs still. Don’t get me wrong that’s amazing compared to normal, but I am looking to stop the cigs. I have noticed my throat is a little sore today too. I may try to salt nic when I drive into town again tomorrow. Would I need to switch coils?

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Everybody is different. If 6mg liquid on a 0.6ohm coil gives you the satisfaction you need, then it is a good choice for you for now. If it isn't helping with the cravings, you may need to simply vape more or try a higher nicotine liquid, or a device that provides more vapor per puff.

The biggest difference between salt-nic and regular (freebase) nicotine is that at the same nic strength, salt nics will tend to be smoother (less throat hit) -- this is good for people who need higher nicotine levels but can't tolerate the throat hit of freebase at high strength. There are also claims that salt-nic may enter your system more efficiently (I don't know).

DarksideBreanne

Feb 16, 2019
Everybody is different. If 6mg liquid on a 0.6ohm coil gives you the satisfaction you need, then it is a good choice for you for now. If it isn't helping with the cravings, you may need to simply vape more or try a higher nicotine liquid, or a device that provides more vapor per puff.

The biggest difference between salt-nic and regular (freebase) nicotine is that at the same nic strength, salt nics will tend to be smoother (less throat hit) -- this is good for people who need higher nicotine levels but can't tolerate the throat hit of freebase at high strength. There are also claims that salt-nic may enter your system more efficiently (I don't know).

My brother was telling me that salt nic helped him stop chewing because it helped curve his cravings. I have noticed my last cig I had this afternoon just didn’t taste good.

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas

Hello and welcome to ECF Breanne. Your 6mg nic freebase juice might work with the Smok Nord. Try it, if it feels too light or you're not getting that cigarette-like throat hit, you're probably going to want to go higher; maybe 12mg, 18mg, or 24mg. Your brother's suggestion is valid, most cigarette smokers want that strong throat hit simulating a cigarette. I think majority of Nord users use salt-nic juice in it, but it all depends on you and what you like. The 1.4 coil takes a little longer to heat up > .6 coil.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah, I’ve noticed since yesterday I’ve had five cigs still. Don’t get me wrong that’s amazing compared to normal, but I am looking to stop the cigs. I have noticed my throat is a little sore today too. I may try to salt nic when I drive into town again tomorrow. Would I need to switch coils?
One of the nice things about pod systems like you have is you can use a different juice in a different pod and just swap them out. Not sure if the nord system uses a changeable coil within the pod or if the coil is part of the pod. It’s done both ways and I don’t own one. If it’s part of the pod just put the different juice in the different pod. If it’s not and you only have one pod it might be worth seeing if they have another for sale and if it’s cheap or not.

DarksideBreanne

Feb 16, 2019
One of the nice things about pod systems like you have is you can use a different juice in a different pod and just swap them out. Not sure if the nord system uses a changeable coil within the pod or if the coil is part of the pod. It’s done both ways and I don’t own one. If it’s part of the pod just put the different juice in the different pod. If it’s not and you only have one pod it might be worth seeing if they have another for sale and if it’s cheap or not.

This pod has a changeable coil and it came with a .6 and a 1.4 coil with it. I think the worker said they’re mesh coils. Getting different pods would be a great idea. Thank you

DarksideBreanne

Feb 16, 2019
It’s this one

Attachments

• FAC7B25A-C8E3-4A9C-940F-0C6CB0685518.jpeg
    FAC7B25A-C8E3-4A9C-940F-0C6CB0685518.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This pod has a changeable coil and it came with a .6 and a 1.4 coil with it. I think the worker said they’re mesh coils. Getting different pods would be a great idea. Thank you
My pleasure. You will probably like one much more than the other. At worst you will replace the coil you don’t like with the one you do and then you have a spare pod to carry around extra juice in.

As a new vaper trying to stop dual using, I would say don’t worry too much about using a higher nic juice. Just use what works for you, and when you’ve been totally off the cigs for a while you can start to worry about reducing nic.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Welcome to the forums Breanne. If you feel satisfied with the nicotine at that level you should be good. The great thing about vaping is you can always adjust to fulfill your needs.

I wonder if 6mg for a one pack a day smoker is enough. There was a time when we'd base how many packs one would smoke to how many milligrams one should vape. This is not the case as much any more due to the assortment of delivery devices available on the market today.

Now with that said, and considering the device you are using, I am in agreement with @Letitia and I wonder/don't think 6mg is enough.

My personal experience, just as a simple example: I vape both with a device that put's out a ton of clouds and a pod system similar to what you use. When I vape with my cloud machine I use 6mg, the delivery is just that intense. With my little pod though I use 33mg and it gives me the same satisfaction. Btw, I was a two pack a day Newport smoker.

DarksideBreanne

Feb 16, 2019
Welcome to the forums Breanne. If you feel satisfied with the nicotine at that level you should be good. The great thing about vaping is you can always adjust to fulfill your needs.

I wonder if 6mg for a one pack a day smoker is enough. There was a time when we'd base how many packs one would smoke to how many milligrams one should vape. This is not the case as much any more due to the assortment of delivery devices available on the market today.

Now with that said, and considering the device you are using, I am in agreement with @Letitia and I wonder/don't think 6mg is enough.

My personal experience, just as a simple example: I vape both with a device that put's out a ton of clouds and a pod system similar to what you use. When I vape with my cloud machine I use 6mg, the delivery is just that intense. With my little pod though I use 33mg and it gives me the same satisfaction. Btw, I was a two pack a day Newport smoker.

It’s been a little over 24 hours now and it’s hard to tell because I am not at work and spend a lot of time outside reading on the weekends so I have been chain vaping as of right now, probably why my throat is sore too. I’ve also read it could be the VG and my current juice is 70/30. The major tell will be on Monday when I can only vape so much during the day. I definitely think I am going to drive into town tomorrow and pick up some nic salt and maybe another pod so I can switch them out. I know it’s going to be an experiment on what works best for me. The main concern for me on the salt nics is the higher nicotine since I eventually want to lower it but it might be better to use that while at work for now and just focus on stopping cigs first instead of worrying over nictotine intake.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
This pod has a changeable coil and it came with a .6 and a 1.4 coil with it.

Just my :2c: of course...but...first I'd decide what kind of vaper I'd want to start as...

Mouth-To-Lung...draw vape into mouth then inhale into lungs...or...Direct Lung...inhale vape directly into lungs...

(Most smokers are Mouth-To-Lung.)

The 1.4 coil is made for MTL...the .6 coil is for DL...

Then...second...chose a nicotine or nicotine-salt level...and just increase it until you find satisfaction...

Me personally...as a 1-2 pack/day smoker...I started at nicotine 6mg....then moved to 12mg...where I discovered satisfaction...

(I've never tried nicotine-salts...they're just too expensive for my tastes.)

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
It’s been a little over 24 hours now and it’s hard to tell because I am not at work and spend a lot of time outside reading on the weekends so I have been chain vaping as of right now, probably why my throat is sore too. I’ve also read it could be the VG and my current juice is 70/30. The major tell will be on Monday when I can only vape so much during the day. I definitely think I am going to drive into town tomorrow and pick up some nic salt and maybe another pod so I can switch them out. I know it’s going to be an experiment on what works best for me. The main concern for me on the salt nics is the higher nicotine since I eventually want to lower it but it might be better to use that while at work for now and just focus on stopping cigs first instead of worrying over nictotine intake.

That sounds like a good plan to me. Keep that focus on just eliminating cigs for now. In my opinion/experience nicotine reduction will come naturally as you progress in your journey.

That sore throat concerns me. This time of year a sore throat can simply just be that. If it persists though do not give up, the awesome members here can give sound advice on what the culprit can be.

DarksideBreanne

Feb 16, 2019
Just my :2c: of course...but...first I'd decide what kind of vaper I'd want to start as...

Mouth-To-Lung...draw vape into mouth then inhale into lungs...or...Direct Lung...inhale vape directly into lungs...

(Most smokers are Mouth-To-Lung.)

The 1.4 coil is made for MTL...the .6 coil is for DL...

Then...second...chose a nicotine or nicotine-salt level...and just increase it until you find satisfaction...

Me personally...as a 1-2 pack/day smoker...I started at nicotine 6mg....then moved to 12mg...where I discovered satisfaction...

(I've never tried nicotine-salts...they're just too expensive for my tastes.)

That’s good to know about the direct to lung or mouth to lung thing. I definitely think I do mouth to lung like I’m smoking a cig. Since I’m on the .6 I’ll do the direct to lung way see if that changes anything too.

DarksideBreanne

Feb 16, 2019
That sounds like a good plan to me. Keep that focus on just eliminating cigs for now. In my opinion/experience nicotine reduction will come naturally as you progress in your journey.

That sore throat concerns me. This time of year a sore throat can simply just be that. If it persists though do not give up, the awesome members here can give sound advice on what the culprit can be.

I do suffer some bad allergies so it really could just be that I’m the type of person who has to take singulair and Zertec daily 365 haha especially living in East Tennessee

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I do suffer some bad allergies so it really could just be that I’m the type of person who has to take singulair and Zertec daily 365 haha especially living in East Tennessee

I was born in Union City, but raised in Miami. All of my kin live in a town called Dresden, Tennessee. I ask everyone familiar with Tennessee if they ever heard of it. The answer is always, "No". So, in order to keep tradition in tact I'll ask you-- have you ever heard of Dresden, Tennessee? lol

DarksideBreanne

Feb 16, 2019
I was born in Union City, but raised in Miami. All of my kin live in a town called Dresden, Tennessee. I ask everyone familiar with Tennessee if they ever heard of it. The answer is always, "No". So, in order to keep tradition in tact I'll ask you-- have you ever heard of Dresden, Tennessee? lol

Haha yes I have heard of Dresden which is surprising since I moved here from California in 2015. I haven’t been there though!

Dresden is on the West side of the state if I remember correctly.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Since I’m on the .6 I’ll do the direct to lung way see if that changes anything too.

Or...probably more effective...just switch to MTL on the 1.4 coil...

(The vape will be cooler...and that may help your irritated throat.)

higher nicotine since I eventually want to lower it

You gotta' remember that there are 4000+ chemicals (many carcinogenic) in cigarette smoke...but only nicotine in ejuice...

If you hang around ECF for awhile...you'll run across posts with links to studies showing that nicotine may even be...healthful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread