New member - vaping for 1 year, want to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiedegno

Verified Member
Jun 11, 2012
Akron
Hi! I've been using the safecig for one year now and am sick and tired of their poor customer service, quality issues, and spotty stock. I tried ProSmoke and promptly returned it. I also tried a Vea, and am VERY disappointed. All their cartos taste burnt right from the package. I tried refilling them, but something just isn't right. The menthol isn't minty at all and after 3-4 draws, it tastes burnt again.

Here is my ideal wish list:

- longer lasting battery
- low maintenance
- refillable
- simple (I get a little freaked out by some of the mods...my head is swimming)
- prefer cartomizers

I see a lot of provape users on the site....is that worth the investment? I am not going back to analogs and have given the vea a fair try, but I've been back on my safecig 18 mg menthol all day.

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
Provari from Provape certainly has some standout features, and until recently some these features were unmatched. But, today there are some lower cost options that seem come very close. Look at the new Lavatube version 1.5' (or what ever they are called now) and you'll find higher current handling, resistance measurement and more. I like my Provari a lot, don't get me wrong. It's just not the only game in town now.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
If you can steer your way clear to spend $200+, the Provape Provari is a fine e--cig. Their other models aren't that special for the price.

It sounds like you're having more problems with the cartomizers than you are with the battery on that Vea. Have you tried other cartomizers on it? Just get a box of blank cartomizers and fill them yourself. It's just a battery and a battery is no better than what you put on the end of it.

If you want something longer lasting and low maintenance, than you need a mod that takes replaceable batteries, not something like an eGo or Vea where you have to throw the whole e-cig away when the battery wears out. A non-disposable e-cig will let you get new performance back with a $5 battery instead of an entire new unit.

If you don't want to spring for a Provari or you're not interested in a variable voltage right now, there are a lot of options.

For a reasonably priced, simple, fixed voltage with replaceable batteries, you can try an e-power. They'll last as long as the batteries you put into them. Here's one from a good vendor for <$60 shipped.
Crystal Clear Vaping

If you want something more permanent and durable that they can bury you with. Look at the Silver Bullet from Altsmoke.com It's nearly indestructible and you can put a 3100mah battery in it. That should last you a good 3 days or more between charges. It's the fixed voltage PV by which all others are measured. It's simple. You just stick a battery in, put a normal 510 cartomizer on it and push the button.

If you want to try variable voltage, you can get a Vtube from apolloecigs.com for less than the price of two disposable eGo Twists. They ahve a 30% off coupon now, Vtube30.
Apollo VTube Kit

Last edited:

dshark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Twin Cities, Minnesota
I've been slacking a bit here.... well actually really busy as I went back to work for a few weeks but that will be ending again here soon.

But anyway - WELCOME to ECF..!!! You are amongst some very knowledgeable, respectful, friendly and kind folks who are more than willing to help when asked upon.

Take what you need from here today and leave the rest for another day..!!

:vapor:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Here is my ideal wish list:

- longer lasting battery
- low maintenance
- refillable
- simple (I get a little freaked out by some of the mods...my head is swimming)
- prefer cartomizers....

Let me try to clarify a few things.

Longer lasting battery. When e-cigs were first invented, the e-cig WAS the battery. Unfortunately, that model stuck. But there is no longer any reason that an e-cig should be a battery. Nobody buys flashlights that way. Your electric drill is probably not the battery. It USES batteries. It's not THE battery.

An e-cig itself shouldn't be limited to a certain length of time between charges. The only limit to the time between charges should be the size of the battery that fits in it. When you say a longer lasting battery, think of what capacity of battery the e-cig ACCEPTS, not what size the e-cig IS. Bigger batteries will also have a longer overall lifespan because they don't have to be recharged as often. A 2000mah battery will, on average, last twice as long as a 1000mah battery.

Low Maintenance. With few exceptions, there is no significant difference between the maintenance of one e-cig and another. If you mean low cost of operation, that's a different matter. That's what replaceable batteries are for. A low maintenance cost e-cig is not one you throw away when the battery ages and no longer holds a charge. Buying a car because it's cheaper, when you can't change the tires on it, is false economy. Yeah, there's no maintenance. You just send the car to the junkyard when the tires wear out. But it's not low cost.

Refillable. That pertains only to the cartomizer or whatever device you put on the end of your e-cig. All of them are refillable unless you get the kind that are pre-filled and can't be refilled. Everything else comes in an empty form and can be refilled.

Simple. A mod is just an e-cig that takes a separate battery. You don't get freaked out when you change the batteries in your radio or your flashlight, do you? There is very little difference. The batteries are the same as in the disposable e-cigs, they only difference is that they are not sealed inside where you can't get to them.

Prefer Cartomizers: All e-cigs can use cartomizers. Most can use off-the-shelf standard blank cartomizers. Your Vea can use any brand of cartomizer with a compatible fitting. An e-cig with a 510 connector uses a 510 carto. An e-cig with an 808 fitting uses and 808 cartomizer. And so on. You can even use a 510 cartomizer on an 808 e-cig with a cheap adapter.

Last edited:

Jamiedegno

Verified Member
Jun 11, 2012
Akron
You're right, sailor, it's the cartos from JC that are so disappointing. I thought the Arctic menthol juice would be better, but it just isn't. I was able to use a safecig micro carto on the Vea, but it didn't work right until I put it back on the safecig micro battery. It's too bad because the customer service from JC was excellent.

The eGo Twist takes a 510 carto?

Eaglegsw14

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
If you are sketchy about trying a vv mod then try the cylon from electronic stix or some other LT similar device. My cylon kit was $70 plus a tank and cartos. It come wiTh 18650 batteries. I personally have one and have gotten two days of vaping out of a single battery. I bought it to see if vv mods where for me. And they are so it's time for me to start saving for a Darwin or provari

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
You're right, sailor, it's the cartos from JC that are so disappointing. I thought the Arctic menthol juice would be better, but it just isn't. I was able to use a safecig micro carto on the Vea, but it didn't work right until I put it back on the safecig micro battery. It's too bad because the customer service from JC was excellent.

The eGo Twist takes a 510 carto?
Yes, it'll take a 510 carto.

Honestly though, when you are in the age of the $50 permanent variable voltage, it's silly to buy disposable ones with a much smaller feature set. You'd need two Twists so you can use one when the other is charging. tha means you'll pay as much or more than you could get a Vtube for from Apollo. The Vtube has a year warranty, which is longer than the entire lifespan of a Twist.

It's like buying a car with non-repaceable tires. Totally false economy, even if it WAS cheaper. But it's not.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I take the iPhone/iPad approach to replacing batteries! :laugh:

If the battery wears out, or a switch gets stuck, do you throw away your iPad?
All batteries wear out. They decline with age and hold their charge for decreasing periods of time.
With a disposable, you have to decide whether to put up with it or buy a new one.
With separate batteries, you pay a couple bucks and restore it to "like new" operation.

Plus, the batteries in you iPhone, or the batteries you buy separately are MUCH better quality than the ones sealed inside of an eGo. They're safer, cheaper and have a much higher capacity. You can buy a safe chemistry battery with twice the capacity of the biggest Twist for $8. It will last over 2x as long as your twist does, hold it's charge 2X longer, and be safer in the process.

Last edited:

elocrian

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2011
Birmingham, AL USA
My Two Cents...

Don't know how much money you are looking to spend. After several months with eGo 510 batteries, I recently bought my first mod. I wanted something simple, well-built, that was not too expensive. I got some advice from a few other vapors and went with the BombShell Kit from HotVapes. For $99.00 you get the BombShell Vaping Device, one 3.7v 18650 Li-ion protected battery (3000 mAh), a battery charger and an atomizer w/drip tip. So everything you need to get started.

You can vape at 6.0 by stacking with the BombShell, but I have not explored this. Once I matched up the BombShell with 306 attys, I was in vaping heaven!!! I bought a few extra batteries so I always have a freshly charged one (though the 3000 mAh 18650's last for two or three days on a single charge).

I will tell you that the charger they provide is one of the cheaper ones out there, and I broke mine after a few months - but a new charger was pretty inexpensive on Amazon. On the plus side the Big Heart Banana Fandango juice sample they sent me - which I would never have tried on my own - was Frickin' Fantastic!!!

But hey, if you have the $$$ Provari seems pretty cool. If I had that much money to spend on a PV, I'd get a GLV-3... I've been drooling over the GLV's since I first discovered them!

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Ok, I've made a decision - I ordered a Vtube and used the coupon (thanks a million for that). I hope it comes quick - I go into stalker mode tracking my online orders! I've also contacted JC for a return shipping label for the Vea (so disappointing).

As NGIB said, you'll want a second or third battery. The best one available is the 2250ham Panasonic CGR18650CH available for $8 shipped from Orbtronic.com

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I own 18650 trustfire and AW batteries and recently bought some Pannys based on sailorman's recommendation. By far the superior batt and well worth the price.

As NGIB said, you'll want a second or third battery. The best one available is the 2250ham Panasonic CGR18650CH available for $8 shipped from Orbtronic.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread