new mod advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogplaynpoker

Verified Member
Jan 4, 2013
Dallas Tx
ok im not a newb but not a vet i have an mvp and my wife has an ego i have plenty of experience with cartomizers and limited experience with rbas but enough to know i love them and now need a new mod because my mvp wont check res and an upgrade never hurts

i have narrowed it down to a vamo or a lavatube version 2 or whatever the newest provari is

i dont really care about varable wattage size doesnt bother me but price is a factor

im looking for actual info not just fanboys (no offense)

also i know i dont want a zmax or vmax because i had a vmax and it jus didnt perform the way i thought it should and sold it within a week
i do know that i would prefer rms as well

so let me know what you guys think even if its something i dont know about

guppy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Southern California
I have both a provari and a vamo. At the moment I'm using the vamo a lot more than my provari because its my new toy :) they both do a good job with the vape but the main difference is that when I hold the provari in my hands I don't worry about dropping it because of the fact that its built so well. The vamo that I have (chrome) is made with good materials as well but the tube consists of 3 pieces and if dropped, will come apart. That's pretty much my only concerns. I haven't got to play with the lavatube V2 but from the reviews I've seen, its much better than the V1 (which I've also had). Bang for the buck is going to have to be the vamo and if you want a quality build that'll last a lifetime, the provari is a good buy.

Here's where I got my vamo (tube only) for $41 shipped with coupon code: 40percentoffecf

VAMO Variable Volt/Watt APV V2

They're currently out of stock on tube only but you can check their kit to see if that's in stock. The coupon code works with the kit as well I believe.

sling00

Verified Member
Jan 29, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Harbor freight has good cheap meters, From my understanding for RBA/Mod use you need Ohms and DC volts (Someone chime in if something else is necessary). and DC volts to check your mod batteries as they come off the charger to make sure they arent charged above 4.2 volts (most batteries, some are different, check manufacturers specifications if in doubt!) **NEVER** Use a mod/LI-ON battery that has been overcharged!

Dogplaynpoker

Verified Member
Jan 4, 2013
Dallas Tx
Harbor freight has good cheap meters, From my understanding for RBA/Mod use you need Ohms and DC volts (Someone chime in if something else is necessary). and DC volts to check your mod batteries as they come off the charger to make sure they arent charged above 4.2 volts (most batteries, some are different, check manufacturers specifications if in doubt!) **NEVER** Use a mod/LI-ON battery that has been overcharged!

Everyone here is so amazingly helpful I love this forum!!!!

OK I think I've decided but now I need batteries and a charger I'm thinking all aw
obviously 2 18350 and 2 18650 but which charger?

sling00

Verified Member
Jan 29, 2013
Birmingham, AL
I decided to go with panasonic high drain (imr-ish sorta...) 2250mAH batteries. When shorted they generate less heat than an AW ( I can't find the link to the test but it was significant, like ~170 degrees for the panasonic and 2xx degrees for the AW. ) Also the panasonic took a longer period of time to reach that temperature. As for a charger, either xtar or PILA if you have the money go for the pila. From all the reading I did on the candlepower forum and here / other vaping sites, the charge is extremely important as if it doesnt shut off right on the money at 4.15-4.20 volts and the battery overcharges, the risk of failure goes up significantly.

I would strongly urge you NOT to stack batteries until you are really comfortable with LI-ON handling/testing for cell stack use. I had planned on 2x 18350 till I read this: Flashlight Explosion

Note this is about a CR123 Lithium primary battery..basically an "unprotected" LI-ON battery Not an IMR or protected battery.
It honestly seems like more danger/work than its worth.. Having to test each battery each time before using it...worrying about it...

Hope this helps, Don't let it freak you out or deter you from using a mod, lithium ion batteries are used in lots of things safely, but respecting them and proper handling is really important and all vendors stress this enough especially about STACKING smaller batts! It's kind of like respecting a gun, or fast car... If you don't, it can get ugly.

Edit: heres the link to the video about the panasonic (The CK Battery) vs the AW in a short circuit scenario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haMDZOfjqsE&feature=player_embedded

Edit 2: updated correct temperatures for the panasonic

Edit 3: Noticed in the above video that the panasonic battery started out at 4.25 volts, figured I'd add this thread to clear up any confusion about "safe" charging voltages. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?337023-What-s-the-safe-charge-voltage-for-18650

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread