Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Yes, but you accept the security risk that comes with using unsupported software. We, on the other hand, do not.
Security software is different than other software and is another thread. Older unsupported software (not talking about security software here) has the advantage that the bugs and security holes are well known and are documented and are easily avoided (unless it is really bad). Newer supported software doesn't have this advantage. Nor are there any company willing to pay for damages if you have been hacked with their supported software. So you're trusting they are better than the world of hackers out there, which isn't promising.

Reddit also doesn't seem to have any security issues running their older version of their forum either. Nor would I expect them to. And while I run both Reddit new and old all the time, I still prefer the older version. A few years from now, I'll probably feel the same way about ECF. Although in ECF case, the old would be long gone. :(

Reactions: Uncle

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Are you willing to pay the bucks for the infrastructure? Keeping two separate systems using the same database isn't cheap.
Maybe y'all need to open a side business with traffic from ECF as an income supplement.... Oh?.. Wait, What ?

Cheers
I

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Hmm. When I first came to the upgraded site, the 'Toggle Sidebar' option was available and I successfully used it to get rid of the sidebar. Now it is not. Available that is. BTW, the 'Toggle Width' has no affect on the display. Now, my primary browser is Pale Moon, which does not have a chromy engine under its hood and also does not support yet some new regex and js stuff that is widely used. Both of these options work as intended when I used another browser, Vivaldi, which is chromified.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    They could have kept both the old and the new. But that would make too much sense and allow you to run which one you prefer. They were doing this when most of us were running the old while some were running the new.

Reddit did it that way. You can pick either the new or the old, it's your choice. ECF should have done the same. :(

Reddit is a custom script. ECF uses an off-the-shelf script (Xenforo). Reddit has paid developers because it has the big advertisers and therefore the big bux.

Websites run on a server which is just a fancy name for a computer that has components better-designed to serve-up information to the internet, so security needs to be maintained just like on a desktop, only it's even more important in many respects. Lack of security not only means the server suffers but also the users of that website/information would be at risk.

Reddit has in-house everything so they can implement security even on an old design.

Xenforo is controlled by Xenforo, not ECF, therefore if Xenforo doesn't support an old version then Xenforo doesn't support an old version (most software companies don't as that gets really expensive really quick which then prices you out of the market). Xenforo is not a behemoth organization like Reddit and obviously neither is ECF.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Hmm. When I first came to the upgraded site, the 'Toggle Sidebar' option was available and I successfully used it to get rid of the sidebar. Now it is not. Available that is. BTW, the 'Toggle Width' has no affect on the display. Now, my primary browser is Pale Moon, which does not have a chromy engine under its hood and also does not support yet some new regex and js stuff that is widely used. Both of these options work as intended when I used another browser, Vivaldi, which is chromified.

The toggle sidebar option is still there fore me.

The toggle width works on FF but only on certain resolutions. Also I use my browser at 140% size so it doesn't work at 140% but it does if I reduce back to 100%. Point is, if it doesn;t have room to widen then it won't.

Reactions: Delilah718

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I wish ECF would set the alerts to be on the navigation bar directly rather than under the username that way the user can see exactly what type of alerts they have at a glance (new forum post vs new conversation post) rather than having to click their username to see what specific alerts they have. All other Xenforo sites I visit have it on the navigation bar directly so I'm guessing this is just a setting in Xenforo or in the theme (but if it is theme-specific it could be the theme is just programmed to not allow it, which would be a bummer).

There's a lot of space on the navi bar so no real need to consolidate the alerts like this. The responsive design will consolidate things like that automatically when mobile or low res is detected so no need to worry about mobile users.

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    The toggle width works on FF but only on certain resolutions.
    Huh, earlier I visited this site with my phone and I had to set the text size from extra large that I had set to a smaller text size. Now, when coming back here with my laptop, and the sites' text size set to medium, the 'toggle sidebar' option is visible in the menu..

Reactions: Delilah718

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    I wish ECF would set the alerts to be on the navigation bar directly rather than under the username that way I can see exactly what type of alerts I have at a glance rather than having to click my username to see what specific alerts I have (new forum post vs new conversation post) . All other Xenforo sites I visit have it on the navigation bar so I'm guessing this is just a setting in Xenforo or in the theme.

There's a lot of space on the navi bar so no real need to consolidate the alerts like that unless mobile is detected.
    watched threads on the navigation bar would also be nice (just like it used to be ;) )

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Looks like my green grin emoji also disappeared :confused:
    never mind, the green guy is gone :?:
    Nope, here he is..

8da76dda985a6b3522812a5a5ed7f5e4[1].jpg

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Hey there! This can be found here
    View attachment 979062
    I still can't see the "More options" column on the right in your screenshot, and no amount of my--very inexpert--foraging for it has revealed it.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    What I'm really not liking about this change is the posts all squashed to the left of the page and this big empty gray space on the right. Since the posts are why we all come to a forum in the first place, it would be nice if they took up more of the page. Is this the only theme that can be used for the forum upgrade? I can't believe they don't have one that puts more emphasis on posts rather than this big empty space on the right.

Click on your username on the top of a page. Click on the icon of a head with a gear next to it. Click on 'Preferences'. You can change text size there. At first I just had my browser text size increased, then I set it back and changed the font size here to 'extra large'..
    For me, toggle sidebar got rid of the junk on the side. I hit toggle width and it made the posts wider but didn't go all the way over so there's still a lot of empty space on the right side.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread