New study: "Public Health" practitioners are dangerously ill-educated about THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
«The discrepancy between current evidence and public perceptions of relative risk of various tobacco/nicotine products was marked; for most tobacco types, a large proportion of the population held inaccurate harm reduction beliefs[...] Given the potential benefits of tobacco risk reduction strategies, public health education efforts to increase understanding of basic harm reduction principles are needed to address these misperceptions.»

HRJ | Full text | Deficiencies in public understanding about tobacco harm reduction: results from a United States national survey

Dale Freed

May 29, 2015
I just did a little research on vaping PSA's and there are few and the few that there are, are done by people who look like they vape cannabis oil along with their general flavors (sorry, for that comment, but look around and see for yourself). There seem to be a rather large amount of anti-vaping adds that are more effective, if you actually step back and look at them. There needs to be a professionally done PSA that either can show, direct, and/or explain what the deal is with vaping and the anti-vapors movement. A lot of it has to do with misinformation that is skewed, put into unrealistic conditions, and just flat out lying.

Unfortunately, we have been silent too long. This technology is still relatively new to society and there is not a lot of scientific literature out there to support our new life styles. People do not understand that what we are doing is 1k times better than where we were, and is drastically less dangerous to those around us. It is ignorance that hurting us in this debate. People not knowing the difference between tobacco products and vaping products, they do not know that nicotine isn't the drug that they think it is. People just don't know.

I try when ever I can by talking to those around me some listen and are surprised that I quit smoking, period. Most want to know the difference, some are still disappointed that I still have a nicotine level, then I explain the facts of nicotine (some I have to direct to the Surgeon Generals reports on nicotine) and most if not all are surprised how much crap is in my head, lol. But the general reaction ends up 50/50 because I am just.... well... me.

I wish I could do it but I do not have the talent , writing skills, or voice that someone can put to something like this. Oh and my video editing skills do not exist. Perhaps someone who reads this can put it together or come up with ideas.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I wish I could do it but I do not have the talent , writing skills, or voice that someone can put to something like this. Oh and my video editing skills do not exist. Perhaps someone who reads this can put it together or come up with ideas.
As a community, we're working on it.
In fact, we've been working on it for years now.

We face some obstacles though.

Lack of BIG TIME money is just one of those obstacles.
As is general apathy on the part of the entire community of vapers.

The Powers That Be are numerous and have some of the deepest pockets on earth.
We don't have that kind of money, but we do have passion.

Seeing someone like you, who cares enough to care?
That's what we need a lot more of.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
People do not understand that what we are doing is 1k times better than where we were, and is drastically less dangerous to those around us. It is ignorance that hurting us in this debate. People not knowing the difference between tobacco products and vaping products, they do not know that nicotine isn't the drug that they think it is. People just don't know.
The results from the study have been well known for some time. There has been a number of studies that have shown the misconceptions on the risk of smokeless tobacco, and the increasing numbers that perceive ecigs to be much more risky then it is. Really nothing new here. There is a huge well funded tobacco control industry that spends large amounts of resources perpetuating the big lie that all tobacco products, including ecigs, are equally harmful.

I quoted the above part of Dale's post to point out that likely most in the vaping community are inadvertently part of the lie, including Dale. Tobacco is not the problem. Smokeless tobacco has the same low risk as we hope vaping does. The real difference between vaping is not that it is not tobacco, it is that, like smokeless tobacco, there is no combustion. That is what makes it several orders of magnitude less harmful then smoking. The above statement by Dale shows the same misconceptions that the study is showing.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Just re-watched "Idiocracy". It explains things much better than 'vaper apathy' and big tobacco money. Science means nothing to those who can't use logic. Junk Science addresses the emotions - "the planet is going to die from carbon dioxide, dude" (one of the compounds that keeps it living) .... and "OMG polar bears are dying" (no they're not - Media Misleads On Polar Bear Numbers | The Daily Caller ) "ecigs are tobacco products and are just as dangerous." "ecigs contain formadehyde, anti-freeze and diketones!" "ecigs are a gateway to cigarettes" (actually a gateway from cigarettes).

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
The results from the study have been well known for some time. There has been a number of studies that have shown the misconceptions on the risk of smokeless tobacco, and the increasing numbers that perceive ecigs to be much more risky then it is. Really nothing new here. There is a huge well funded tobacco control industry that spends large amounts of resources perpetuating the big lie that all tobacco products, including ecigs, are equally harmful.

I quoted the above part of Dale's post to point out that likely most in the vaping community are part of the lie, including Dale. Tobacco is not the problem. Smokeless tobacco has the same low risk as we hope vaping does. The real difference between vaping is not that it is not tobacco, it is that, like smokeless tobacco, there is no combustion. That is what makes it several orders of magnitude less harmful then smoking. The above statement by Dale shows the same misconceptions that the study is showing.
Depends how you read what Dale wrote. That sentence might've been less clearly worded than the part of your sentence that I bolded, which can almost as easily be similarly misunderstood.

Then again, Dale might be misinformed. Dale? Smokeless? Snus?

Reactions: DC2

Dale Freed

May 29, 2015
Sorry, i've been working and sick lately, I will get back on this in a day or two. Let me just say, like I have some issues getting the thoughts in my head to follow suit with pen and paper. I was more concerned that free public PSA videos pointing out benefits compared to the negative uninformed videos seem lopsided, as well as constructed poorly. For the most part. I will get into it in more detail later.

I'm going to vomit right now (TMI, I know sorry).

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Sorry, i've been working and sick lately, I will get back on this in a day or two. Let me just say, like I have some issues getting the thoughts in my head to follow suit with pen and paper. I was more concerned that free public PSA videos pointing out benefits compared to the negative uninformed videos seem lopsided, as well as constructed poorly. For the most part. I will get into it in more detail later.

I'm going to vomit right now (TMI, I know sorry).

Take care, and feel better soon, Dale.

Reactions: KattMamma

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Its about $.............Big Pharma/ FDA, and the Tobacco Cartell...........nothing more, nothing less............everyone should see "idiocracy" followed by Atlas Shrugged(preferably the novel, the movie was underfunded since it shines light on the status quo }.........The public is driven by emotion by and large and the media is well aware of it and takes occasion to use it to support their masters..........Truth and Logic mean almost nothing to the masses.......Those whom use Rational Thought are few and far between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread