New Supplier, New Philosophy, and a 10 Day Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy Thunderbear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2015
NOWHERE, SD, USA
@55_Gallon_Drummer OK folks, I have a serious question that probably should be in the DIY section, but I need Drummer's mixing expertise to tell me how the heck this happened. I was testing vape MOAR's Mellow Gold (really nice mild tobacco flavor) and when I finished the tank, I decided to try a little experiment. I added a few drops of Capella's Strawberry flavor, or at least I thought I did (turned out I grabbed the raspberry bottle by mistake). I puffed it awhile and decided that wasn't the topping I wanted, so located the strawberry bottle and added a few drops to the tank (got the right flavor this time). Still not what I was looking for, so I added a few drops of some mixed berry concoction and it tasted pretty darn good. That gave me a nice smooth tobacco flavor with this berry overtone that makes you want to have another hit right away. Then I unscrewed that tank and set it aside because I had more of their juices to test. Now, two days later, I put that same tank back on my little iStick and the first suck liked to blow me away. There is just no way this is the same stuff I created two days ago! But I couldn't quite figure out what it was, so I kept sucking. About an hour later, it hit me like a ton of bricks! Hazelnuts! I thought my mouth/nose must be dreaming up something to explain the odd flavor, so I handed my binkie to Wifey and asked her to tell me what that was. She immediately said, "Nuts. Yeah, hazelnut." We have no flavor anything like any kind of nuts, so it can't be a case of I put the wrong thing in here. All I can figure is that, somehow, the combination of various berries in the tobacco turned into hazelnut. Unfortunately, I mixed this in the tank, not a bottle, so I can't send it to you for analysis. Got any bright ideas? Any of you folks...??? (Drummer, you can use this if you can figure it out)

55_Gallon_Drummer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2015
Hartford, WI
www.vapemoar.com
@55_Gallon_Drummer OK folks, I have a serious question that probably should be in the DIY section, but I need Drummer's mixing expertise to tell me how the heck this happened. I was testing VAPE MOAR's Mellow Gold (really nice mild tobacco flavor) and when I finished the tank, I decided to try a little experiment. I added a few drops of Capella's Strawberry flavor, or at least I thought I did (turned out I grabbed the raspberry bottle by mistake). I puffed it awhile and decided that wasn't the topping I wanted, so located the strawberry bottle and added a few drops to the tank (got the right flavor this time). Still not what I was looking for, so I added a few drops of some mixed berry concoction and it tasted pretty darn good. That gave me a nice smooth tobacco flavor with this berry overtone that makes you want to have another hit right away. Then I unscrewed that tank and set it aside because I had more of their juices to test. Now, two days later, I put that same tank back on my little iStick and the first suck liked to blow me away. There is just no way this is the same stuff I created two days ago! But I couldn't quite figure out what it was, so I kept sucking. About an hour later, it hit me like a ton of bricks! Hazelnuts! I thought my mouth/nose must be dreaming up something to explain the odd flavor, so I handed my binkie to Wifey and asked her to tell me what that was. She immediately said, "Nuts. Yeah, hazelnut." We have no flavor anything like any kind of nuts, so it can't be a case of I put the wrong thing in here. All I can figure is that, somehow, the combination of various berries in the tobacco turned into hazelnut. Unfortunately, I mixed this in the tank, not a bottle, so I can't send it to you for analysis. Got any bright ideas? Any of you folks...??? (Drummer, you can use this if you can figure it out)
Well, our tobacco blend, like most people's , has things other than tobacco to loosen up the flavor a bit. Tobacco by itself is a very harsh flavor (even regular full flavor paper cigs have a small amount of Menthol to even them out). Mixing finished flavors can sometimes do this, and it's super hard to replicate. The amounts are important, as are your temp and variable settings. I can say that Filbertone is the primary ingredient in the flavor we recognize as hazelnut. I won't comment on whether that particular chemical is in our blend or not, for obvious reasons ;) but it's possible something in the tobacco is tasting nutty in response to one of the chemicals in one of the flavors you added. It's strange what compliments what, even when it's to flavors you'd never think would go together. IMO that's because we generally deal with only a fraction of the actual flavoring compounds in an ACTUAL flavor, which makes them close, but susceptible to radical changes with just a few ingredients. Some things have weird tendencies to overpower other things in unexpected ways. That's why you go through the process of development and R&D, to learn what's interacting with what and optimize the interactions.

Great post too. I always like hearing what people are doing and how it's working out :)

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
Wahoo! My bundle o' goodness got here today!

Thanks again 55_Gallon!

Already started tasting on my little Squid RDA. Cool Green is definitely menthol! Not for me, but I know somebody who only vapes menthols so it'll get a good home. Mellow Gold is on right now, reminds me of one of my old favorites Fuzion's Southern Longleaf. Yum! Bakery's are coming next, then fruits!

Got a long evening ahead but it's gonna be tasty!

55_Gallon_Drummer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2015
Hartford, WI
www.vapemoar.com
Thanks for the feedback. I'm stumped because, while I excelled at atmospheric physics, thermodynamics, and electrical engineering, I am not a chemist or even a very good mixologist. o_O
Funny how that works isn't it? For the record, I'm a better mixologist for others than I am for me HAHA. In fairness, we have a chemical engineer and a full time PHD chemist on staff, they do most of the science stuff. I'm just attentive and love to learn, so I pick things up. Also, it's sorta my job, so there's that :w00t:

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Funny how that works isn't it? For the record, I'm a better mixologist for others than I am for me HAHA. In fairness, we have a chemical engineer and a full time PHD chemist on staff, they do most of the science stuff. I'm just attentive and love to learn, so I pick things up. Also, it's sorta my job, so there's that :w00t:

You mean there's science involved in DIY? :ohmy: No wonder I suck at it. :facepalm:

RaceGun59

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Owensboro, KY
Just my :2c: on tobacco flavors.
Being a former smoker of cigars and pipes as well as cigarettes I can tell you differant tobacco has differant flavors.
Depending what location on the plant the leaves are determines their classification
Trash--bottom row of leaves and maybe the second if it's a really big plant.
Lugs--middle rows. usually full leaves with little to no damage
Tips--very top row, or maybe two, also depending on plant size at harvest.
You have prior, AKA dark, this is usally used in chewing and twist products. it's flue cured.
Burley is for cigarettes. It's also the main product used to harvest nicotine as it has the highest concentration. it's air cured.
Cigarettes usually gets what is called "trash" and some lugs. Tips and better condition lugs are for the mass produced cigars.
You have candella, which is green,
EMS< English Market Select, which is light brown or tan.
These are usually wrappers on better cigars.
There's Maduro, a dark sweet leaf. Also a cigar wrapper product.

Who knows what type of tobacco gets used to harvest nicotine from that gets imported.

55_Gallon_Drummer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2015
Hartford, WI
www.vapemoar.com
Just my :2c: on tobacco flavors.
Being a former smoker of cigars and pipes as well as cigarettes I can tell you differant tobacco has differant flavors.
Depending what location on the plant the leaves are determines their classification
Trash--bottom row of leaves and maybe the second if it's a really big plant.
Lugs--middle rows. usually full leaves with little to no damage
Tips--very top row, or maybe two, also depending on plant size at harvest.
You have prior, AKA dark, this is usally used in chewing and twist products. it's flue cured.
Burley is for cigarettes. It's also the main product used to harvest nicotine as it has the highest concentration. it's air cured.
Cigarettes usually gets what is called "trash" and some lugs. Tips and better condition lugs are for the mass produced cigars.
You have candella, which is green,
EMS< English Market Select, which is light brown or tan.
These are usually wrappers on better cigars.
There's Maduro, a dark sweet leaf. Also a cigar wrapper product.

Who knows what type of tobacco gets used to harvest nicotine from that gets imported.
You, sir, clearly know your tobacco. That was actually super informative. It's also an interesting take. The source of the nicotine probably doesn't matter as much as the actual leaf does for a smoker, but it definitely makes a difference.

RaceGun59

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Owensboro, KY
You, sir, clearly know your tobacco. That was actually super informative. It's also an interesting take. The source of the nicotine probably doesn't matter as much as the actual leaf does for a smoker, but it definitely makes a difference.

State Total Tobacco Acreage
1. North Carolina 170,083
2. Kentucky 87,641
It was my summer job during 4 years of high school. I think that is why I don't do tobacco flavors They remind me of that sweaty "raw" tobacco taste you got cutting and housing tobacco.

What might come as a surprize to many is that the US is fourth behind China,India, and Brazil in total production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread