New to E-cigs need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stylez777

Jul 21, 2011
nyc
Hey all I jumped on the E-Cig train today! I was a pack a day smoker till I won a contest and was sent a free e-cig starter kit. The brand is smok (little thingy above the o) it looks like a blu cig and i believe it's a 510 battery (female connection). 3 piece system. I've used it all day and it's ok. No real throat hit, looks like decent amount of smoke comes out but I would prefer to have the cartomizers. I tried doing a search for 510 cartomizers pre-filled but didn't find anything (I don't know how I feel about having to fill my own carts). I may keep it but I'm looking for better.

I was planning on buying the V2 brand since i seen it got great reviews and that their battery is a 4.7v (which I was told is pretty good and helps create better smoke). I have seen others say that VOLT or Vapor King was the same as V2 but cheaper, though when I looked I couldn't see anything listed about the voltage of either of those 2 batteries. This is a totally new world for me, so I would like to know what would be a good brand to go with that has a good voltage battery (4.7v like V2 claims. manual or automatic) that doesn't look like a cigar size and has easy to find pre-filled cartomizers with good tobacco flavor. Thanks for the help all hope I can keep of the real smokes for good!

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Don't buy V2. Don't support companies that jack the prices up on ecig parts. Smokeless Image Volt and Vapor4Life.com are the same kind of model and and offer manual batteries which are safer from being damaged or killed by juice leaks and make it easier to get a good hit - most people here use and recommend manuals. And I recommend the larger standard aka 78mm battery - should make it about 120mm w/ a cartomizer and has 60% more charge than the smaller batteries.

Smok - I have no idea what it is it. There are very few prefilled 510 threaded cartos because 510 is sold as a 3-piece - so lots of blank cartos (standard resistance Boge are most popular) but few prefilled ones. LiquidXpress has a small poorly stocked selection of prefilled 510 cartos. Apollo ecigs - they have some - I think they are a 510. Vaporkings.com have some Boges prefilled with Chinese juice. Even if these cartos fit and work on your ecig, that does not mean your Smok is compatible with 510 chargers or PCC cases, nor that 510's are compatible with the Smok charger. Some clones are reverse polarity and their chargers will fry a real 510 battery and vice versa.

Last edited:

reprisal

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
South Carolina
When I first started I was interested in V2, thinking that I should pick one of the "big brands". After a while researching I realized that most of the big brands are basically standard model #s with branding/graphics and are overpriced. I also believe I heard bad things about v2 customer service but I have no personal experience. I started with a kr808d-1 which was good for a cig sized battery but soon upgraded (as most do) to a bigger, better model. I chose the Riva.

Rivas are a little bigger than cig shaped batteries (I thought it would be alot bigger than it was from the look of it in the pics). I'm very happy with my Riva purchase and theres no looking back to cig sized models for me. A Riva kit can be had for only $30 @ liberty-flights.com, Id also recommend cartomizers from crystalclearvaping.com (15 for $20 shipped). The riva kit comes with 2 atomizers but I prefer the cartomizers, particularly the Boge low resistance ones.

If you must go with a cig sized/shaped pv, I've heard good things about the volt, but it still will have the limitations of that size battery.

stylez777

Jul 21, 2011
nyc
I apologize, I meant 4.2v not 4.7. I am going to look into both of those brands. I am mainly looking for an accessible ecig (easy to get refills) I know many people like too do their own refills I probably will myself but for now I want to get what will be easy to find cartomizers that give good hits have good tobacco flavor (not cherry vanilla and the such real good tobacco flavor). Are their any other brands that you could recommend?

reprisal

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
South Carolina
If you decide to go with a cig sized pv, the kr808d-1 is compatible with (and available from, but a bit overpriced) Electronic Cigarette by Halo prefilled cartomizers. I believe Ive heard good things about their prefilleds, not 100% sure though. Id def recommend filling your own cartos though, its easy to do and saves alooooot of money (plus you get a million and one juice options), cartos don't last long on one fill.

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
Welcome!

I'm pretty new around these parts too, and went through one pretty bad hardware purchase before I started reading here and got something that works a little better - at least for me. I figure I've got one more kit to put together before I'm pretty much where I wanna be - and the folks here have been more than helpful.

Neat little community if you ask me :)

Again - welcome.

stylez777

Jul 21, 2011
nyc
Thanks for all the GREAT info!! I have been looking more and more at the stuff you guys recommended. The Riva/EGO from LF looks very good but the more I look the more questions I get :)

The Riva Carto deluxe and deluxe dual coil says that the usb plug is non US so does that mean if I live in the US it won't work for me? Their Special editon and lite bundle says the usb is US but those don't come with carto's. If I went with one of those bundles would I have to buy carto's separate? if so which ones are recommended for ease of use?

The EGO looks interesting also, coming in the 650mah and 900mah starter kits but neither come with carto's only atomizers, so same as above would I be looking to purchase carto's separately? and if so which ones are recommended? (also looks like their isn't a problem with us and non us usb plugs) Also the Tank style is another option and being a newb I have no idea if it's worth it or not.

Is there a real difference between the Riva or the EGO? are they pretty much the same? anyone have an opinion on carto's vs atomizer and cartridge?

E-liquid. I smoke Malboro (ugh I know!) but i'd be looking for an e-liquid that is similar in taste if anyone could recommend would be grateful.

Thanks for taking the time with all my questions, I really do appreciate it!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I'd recommend the Lite Bundle, then add a pack or two of Boge 2 ohm low resistance (LR) cartomizers. That way you'll have the US AC USB power supply (wall wart), and can try atomizers, plus have really solid 2 ohm cartomizers. If LF doesn't have the boge 2 ohm 510 connector style in stock, you might try NEW 510 Mega Low Resistance Cartomizers I believe these are ones I've bought before that turned out to be Boge (you can go to the NHaler web site, send them an email to confirm).

If you prefer to just buy the carto version bundle from the get go, send liberty flights an e-mail to ask if they have any US style USB power supplies suitable for your Riva, they aren't really expensive.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
If you decide to go with a cig sized pv, the kr808d-1 is compatible with (and available from, but a bit overpriced) Electronic Cigarette by Halo prefilled cartomizers. I believe Ive heard good things about their prefilleds, not 100% sure though. Id def recommend filling your own cartos though, its easy to do and saves alooooot of money (plus you get a million and one juice options), cartos don't last long on one fill.

FYI: Halo also offers the "G6" which is also a KR808 device and the one I'm using now - I really like the feel and size :thumb:- the beginer's set comes with both a manual & auto battery - In addition, they offer a 10% discount to ECF members and IMHO - have GREAT Customer service :thumb:. . . Just my :2c: . . .
You can find it here: G6 Basic Starter Kit - G6 E-Cig

Oh - and BTW, I also just order and am awaiting the Volt Pro set (extra "cartos", the "little Coloeful caps", and a couple extra batteries - gotta get ready when I find my WOW ! ! ! !) - seeing the really great sale they are having right now with the "Heatwave" 23% off and the newer PCC is included too . . . :D
You can find it here: Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Volt - Pro Starter Kit - Starter Kits

Last edited:

reprisal

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
South Carolina
Well, atomizers are usually dripped onto every couple of puffs, alot of people like dripping (flavor can be changed on the fly) but for me its not feasible when out and about. Cartridges can be used with atomizers but many people dislike them. I personally like cartomizers as they can be filled at home quickly and several can be brought with me. I highly recommend Boge 2.0's (Low resistance) for a Riva/ego.

I haven't ever tasted a liquid that tastes like the real cig experience, I feel its for good reason though, once my tastebuds became functional again after quitting, real cigs taste disgusting.

Tobacco liquids taste like a fresh pack smells like it will taste (but it doesn't taste that way in cigs because its burnt).

stylez777

Jul 21, 2011
nyc
I'd recommend the Lite Bundle, then add a pack or two of Boge 2 ohm low resistance (LR) cartomizers. That way you'll have the US AC USB power supply (wall wart), and can try atomizers, plus have really solid 2 ohm cartomizers. If LF doesn't have the boge 2 ohm 510 connector style in stock, you might try NEW 510 Mega Low Resistance Cartomizers I believe these are ones I've bought before that turned out to be Boge (you can go to the NHaler web site, send them an email to confirm).

If you prefer to just buy the carto version bundle from the get go, send liberty flights an e-mail to ask if they have any US style USB power supplies suitable for your Riva, they aren't really expensive.

I was looking at mixing and matching. So it give me more options. I too felt the carto's are much easier for on the go usage and I don't see my self dipping or dripping (I just want to plug it in vap away and not be hasseled).

Here would be another question or two:

1. let say I went with the lite bundle I get the 2 riva 750mah batteries. Could I purchase one of those ego-T 1000mah batteries and be able to charge it with the same charger that comes with the Riva kit? Also would I be bale to use those boge 2.0 carto's or the 1.5ohm dual coil carto's with it? (even though the battery is a T I seen that it can be used without the tank system). Also do I need anything special to fill the liquid into the carto's? (like syringes?)

2: any recommendation on a good tobacco e-liquid? (I seen LF had a few choices) are the USA blends better/same/worse than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread