Voltage Drop...once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
I understood what you were saying. But Finite or D.N.E Limits or using a 2nd Derivative to determine Concavity of a Function might not be all that Relevant to the Average Vaper?

:)

Lol yeah, pretty much, but it's important to visualize how quickly the amperage changes to being dangerous with just a minute adjustment.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Lol yeah, pretty much, but it's important to visualize how quickly the amperage changes to being dangerous with just a minute adjustment.

Now that I would Completely Agree with.

Because if you plot Ohms Laws with respect to Resistance and Amps using Voltage as a Scalar, it might surprise Many people how far a Battery's CDR can be Exceeded when a +/- 0.05 or +/0.1 Ohm error in Measuring occurs.

Being able to do Math at Multiple Significant Digits of Accuracy really isn't a Big Deal. Being able to Accurately Measure at those same Levels is another story.

Long n' the Short of it is (to me) if someone just has to go down to the Mathematical Boundary of a Battery's Theoretical CDR with a Mech, then they should be Looking for a Battery with a Higher CDR.

Or just use a Regulated device.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So let's say, on a purely theoretical basis, if the mod's volt drop and the resistance of the coil are measured 100% correct, coupled with a perfect battery, the mod's volt drop could be included into the equation to calculate the actual amp draw?

Sure. Don't see why not.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
If for example the Mech mod has an internal resistance of .1Ω (which would be really high) then if you had a .1Ω build, 50% of the voltage would be developed inside the mod and 50% would be delivered to the coil. So using a 4.2V battery the coil would see a 2.1V drop across it. The battery would be providing 4.2V/.2Ω or 21A. The power developed would be equally split between the mod and the coil. Each would dissipate 44 Watts. As higher resistances are used, greater percentages of the voltage applied would be developed by the coil and the mod would rob a lesser percentage of the total wattage developed. Conversely, batteries loose voltage as load increases. A battery's voltage under a .1Ω load will be less than a battery's voltage under a 1Ω load. Vapers call this voltage sag. In the past it was simply called voltage under load. The internal resistance in a mechanical mod is dependent upon materials used, wire used, surface area of connection points e.g. switch contacts, wire lengths, the connectivity of any threading in the electrical path, etc. This can best be measured by measuring the total voltage across the batteries and the total voltage across the coils simultaneously. The difference in the voltages is the voltage developed inside the mod. From there the resistance of the mod and atty deck can be calculated by calculating the amperage V (coil) / R (coil) and dividing that into the differential of the two measured voltages or in other words the voltage developed within the mod and atty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread