Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
I'm running this Drop rda on the smok Alien 220w. It gives me live volt, ohm, and amp readouts with every squeeze of the unit. When I'm building would it be wise to still invest in an OHM reader if my device already gives me an active readout? Thoughts and opinions? Any suggestions for building on the Drop? Right now I'm just using pre-wrapped coils that came in a multipack by demon killer and cotton bacon prime.

Attachments

• 15367569847232376738179222612975.jpg
    15367569847232376738179222612975.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Unless you are building super, super low, I'd say it's fine to use a regulated mod to read the ohms and lots of folks do.

I mention the "super low" part only because it's a Smok mod, and I'm not sure how accurate they are always, nor the quality of their QC (always) so I personally might exercise some caution there due to probably (minor) inaccuracies that could be the case for that mod, although minor inaccuracies could be the case for any non DNA mod, to be fair, and as long as you aren't trying to build to the very lowest resistance possible you should be fine.

I have no build suggestions for you, I'm MTL not DL but I'm sure others will be along with suggestions, etc.

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
been vaping for over a year now (using rda for 6+ months including the Drop)
Never even thought of an 0hm reader as mods these days are already pretty accurate to build upon.
Build wise it's like anything ie: personnal preferences. What i like you may not and vice versa, what i can do is give you an example of what i'm currently runnin in my own Drop: Dual kanthal A1 (3.5mm diameter, .44 0hms)

I don't use claptons anymore and imo they're overrated, i much prefer simple round wire build since i get MUCH more battery life out of those.

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
been vaping for over a year now (using rda for 6+ months including the Drop)
Never even thought of an 0hm reader as mods these days are already pretty accurate to build upon.
Build wise it's like anything ie: personnal preferences. What i like you may not and vice versa, what i can do is give you an example of what i'm currently runnin in my own Drop: Dual kanthal A1 (3.5mm diameter, .44 0hms)

I don't use claptons anymore and imo they're overrated, i much prefer simple round wire build since i get MUCH more battery life out of those.
So as I understand the only purpose of all these fancy Clapton and tiger coil things are just to increase surface area or something right? I used to have an rda way back right before my first vape broke and I got back into smoking cogs and all I had was round wire and I preferred that honestly.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
So as I understand the only purpose of all these fancy Clapton and tiger coil things are just to increase surface area or something right? I used to have an rda way back right before my first vape broke and I got back into smoking cogs and all I had was round wire and I preferred that honestly.

I can't get into much details as i'm not a "connaisseur", i just went from experiences as i've never noticed a difference between both, if anything i thought i got more flavor from simpler builds. Round wire build also mostly get faster ramp up and down times (ie heating and cooling times)

Imo it's also easier to control temperature since my rda dosen't get as hot as quickly as when i used claptons.

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
I can't get into much details as i'm not a "connaisseur", i just went from experiences as i've never noticed a difference between both, if anything i thought i got more flavor from simpler builds. Round wire build also mostly get faster ramp up and down times (ie heating and cooling times)

Imo it's also easier to control temperature since my rda dosen't get as hot as quickly as when i used claptons.
I thought I wasnt getting as good of a ramp up time as I used go and I was confused. I'm running relatively new equipment. So maybe that's why....

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You are probably right about the exotic coils increasing surface area, and they do suck up a lot of power and increase the ramp up time to heat up a coil.

Surface area is just a part of the equation of building coils. The key factor, I'm told by many experts that seem to know more than myself, is the heat flux.

I've always been a fan of the KISS principle. Keep it simple, stupid! I've only used round wire to make simple coils. Doesn't really matter if they are spaced coils or compressed, but I've found compressed coils are more durable if you re-wick your coils a lot.

I used to work in a vape shop where there were, who I considered to be master coil builders, who made Clapton, Aliens, and other exotic coils. I vaped their coils and didn't see much difference in their flavor production. They produced a lot more vapor than I did, but that wasn't my end game. They were vaping at 0.2 ohm resistances where I was vaping at a more reasonable (to me) 0.6 ohm resistance. They were also changing out their batteries 2 or 3 times a day while I got by changing it out once a day.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm wavering on the exotics now I quite like them, but that first time (I am ashamed to admit it though it's happened before) my batteries were low, things improved once I stopped getting that "llow battery" warning. They're both fine now maybe a smidge more ramp up time. They also taste good, not gonna lie.

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I prefer multi wire coils, seems like I get a fuller more satisfying lung hit and to me better flavor. Also a smoother hit. Try a single wire build, you may find you still like it better. DIY and building gives such freedom when finding where your happy places are.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I prefer multi wire coils, seems like I get a fuller more satisfying lung hit and to me better flavor. Also a smoother hit. Try a single wire build, you may find you still like it better. DIY and building gives such freedom when finding where your happy places are.
But not all are created equal. Some builds need a bigger atty, some need smaller. Trial and error. If you want to test several exotics get a wheel of coils such as the UD ferris wheel or the daemon coil kit. There you'll be able to pick and choose what you like.
When I buy a brand new atty I install the stock coils. There have been great surprises, so, don't pass them by!

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Honesty, I just find ohm readers pointless if you have regulated mods. The only reason I can see owning one is if you own only mech mods. Beyond that Id be surprised if the ohm readers had anything different PCB wise then a regulated mod, probably worse.

Yoh should enjoy the Drop I have one myself and love it. Probably the best an RDA can be. I use my Dead Rabbit mainly because my Drop has some weird melted PEEK insulator in a small part, probably not a big deal. But I dont notice much difference between either. I use Demon Killer Alien V2s and was just ordering some SS316 Aliens or stag. fused claptons. I find my Demon Killers ohm out weirs numbers sometimes, not sure if its the Drop with the melted insulator or just poorly crafted coils.

Long story short, dont bother with ohm reader unless you find yourself with only mech mods.

Also, if you see someone in youtube using it with a regulated mod, its just product placement. 90% of those videos are product placement or trying to sell you something. Only reason to watch them is get an upclose look at a product. Other then that their paid/sent products to try and sell you on them. Id trust people around here far more then anything from youtube. Id trust a shady car salesmen over anything on youtube.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I don't think you need an ohm reader but one never hurts to have around. I have one but never use it just a mod to build on.

I didn't use to care much for multiple wire coils but have changed to liking single coil Clapton. Nothing low with high ramp just around .4 ohm. Usually can run it around 30 W.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
There is one advantage to me with a separate ohm reader: a steadier base to build on.
I agree that the circuitry of most mods is likely as good or better than most ohm readers.
When I started rebuilding I got a Coilmaster kit that has a reader in it. It made me feel a little more secure (in my mind) when I was learning.
I still use it because I don't have to worry about it falling over.

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
There is one advantage to me with a separate ohm reader: a steadier base to build on.
I agree that the circuitry of most mods is likely as good or better than most ohm readers.
When I started rebuilding I got a Coilmaster kit that has a reader in it. It made me feel a little more secure (in my mind) when I was learning.
I still use it because I don't have to worry about it falling over.

Nothing wrong with it, and it would double as a nice build stand. All it really comes down to is if OP is on a tight budget. If OP has a pretty hefty amount of money to throw around, doesnt matter. But if OP is tight on money id say dont bother. I just use an old dead mod to build on. Or OP could just as easily dig out a peice of foam/styrofoam and build on that. Basically boils down to how much loose cash he has. But I personally wouldnt spend 20-40+shipping for one. Or at the least wait for one to be on sale OP.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I use both multi strand fused claptons and round wire. I find that the claptons do use more power, but depending on the wires used it could be only by a little. I use claptons wrapped in 40g and it doesn't take very much more power to run them. But if you have claptons wrapped in say 32g, it can take a lot more power to run them.

The flavor I get from fused claptons is slightly better than round wire, but not by much at all (may just come down to what flavor you run). I can run either and and be just as happy either way.

The reason I use Clapton wire more is the durability. I just changed one that I had been using for about 4 months straight on a daily basis, 10-15ml per day. Still had life left in it too, i just felt like installing a new coil. I can dry burn and rewick a Clapton a lot more times than the round wire builds I make. I end up wrapping a new round wire coil once every couple weeks because it gets pulled out of shape much easier when I dry burn and rewick (I use 28g wire, so it's kind of delicate). If it wasn't for that I would use round wire exclusively.

When it comes to ohm readers, it is personal preference. Unless you need one for an unregulated mod or mech mod, your regulated mod will do the trick. With your current set up, that would be your judgment call. They can be nice to have around but it isn't a mandatory piece of kit, for you.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
All very helpful info, my next question would be, is Cotton Bacon, or Cotton Bacon Prime, the best stuff to be wicking with? It was what they had in the shop and sometimes what they have available isnt always the best thing to be using.

Cotton bacon works well, not my favorite, I prefer Muji pads. The pads are easier to get multiple consistent size pieces. Bacon you have to kind of learn to get the feel for it, nothing wrong with that. Now supporting local shops is great but I'd also look online, around me shops gouge the heck out of cotton prices.

As for a meter, I use my mod but I also have a meter. I use the rule 1 is none and 2 is 1. In that if your mod's meter quits, you have no meter. So if you have 2 mods with meters or 1 mod with a meter and a meter, you have a backup. If you decide to get a meter, the coil master 512 mini has been going for under $20. It will meter and test fire coils, plus uses an external 18650 battery.

No matter what, I'd suggest (if you don't have) a decent jig base to screw an atty into to build on (you can make them cheaply). It's so much easier than building on the mod, they fall over and such, lol. Now not saying needed as your life depends on it, but as an extra that makes life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread