Drop RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
I didn't think to as but what type of coils are you trying to use? I mean kanthal, ss, etc., what are the resistance of the coils and how many are you attempting to use?
First time I was trying to use two fused clapton coils, one per side, and the container says resistance is about .4 ohms and after I went to adjust one of the coils after a test fire, it flashed on the second test fire and the coil literally snapped right off the second I touched it

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
First time I was trying to use two fused clapton coils, one per side, and the container says resistance is about .4 ohms and after I went to adjust one of the coils after a test fire, it flashed on the second test fire and the coil literally snapped right off the second I touched it

If the coil flashed, then it was a hotspot and?or too high wattage. It could also be a sharp spot in the post, I've had several RDA's that would cut wire when tightened down. Then again could be just a bad coil, if you remove the flashed coil, the other should work. 1 coil .4 ohms so 2 would have been .2 ohms.

Could always remove all coils and test bare RDA, should show attach atomizer or something and read no resistance, as nothing is connected.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Tested out bare rda on both and it is still only saying ohm too low
Examine your deck and see if there is any small scraps of wire laying anywhere on it. Sometimes a stray leg clipping can bridge the gap between the positive and negative sides of the deck. This would cause all sorts of issues.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
It just takes a very small clipping to ground out the positive post. When I first got my Drop after I installed and clipped the coils I had the same problem. I took the RDA completely apart and found a tiny piece of the clapton coil wrap. I cleaned it off, put it back together and haven't had any problems since then.

This is a good reason to have an ohm meter and know how to use it.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I agree that an Ohm meter can be a very handy tool. Always good to have a separate tool for verification. You can get the more expensive ones that allow you to fire the coil, or just a simple cheap one that only reads the resistance of the coil that will also identify any shorts. I use some cheap generic one that runs off of AA batteries.

You also have to be careful when tightening down your posts with multi stranded coils such as claptons. Too tight and one strand can cut right through another. Tighten down enough so that the coil does not move

With any coil, especially premade ones, there will always be a variance between what is advertised, what your mod reads and what is the actual resistance of the coil. Given how easy it is to build on the Drop RDA, mount 1 coil only, place it on your mod and see what the resistance is. Adding an identical second coil in parallel will half that resistance which should give you and good idea if your mod is ample enough to handle your projected build.

I always count the trimmings that I cut off to ensure one is not left behind inside the deck or found its way to the floor. Nothing worse than having a piece of metal in your foot, or if you have pets and sprogs (little people sometimes referred to as children)

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
To ask the question that has been overlooked.
Most premade have long leads, you are trimming them once snugged into place, right?
If not and the lead touches the base in the positive leg you get a dead short.

Try installing a single coil on one side, then fire it (low wattages) and see the resistance the mod reads. With dual coil it will basically be one half the resistance of a single.

If still stuck post a pic of your build etc and we will try to help.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
If not and the lead touches the base in the positive leg you get a dead short.
Not true. The deck on the drop is split down the middle, one side + and one side -. If the leads touch the deck it will just be touching the corresponding polarity of the post it is attached to.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
Not true. The deck on the drop is split down the middle, one side + and one side -. If the leads touch the deck it will just be touching the corresponding polarity of the post it is attached to.
Well true but,
Since the positive post base is round in the middle its is very possible to hit it with a long negative leg.
But I digress.
Just making sure he was trimming the leads basically.

PuffKnight

Sep 12, 2018
So I ended up going into my local shop anyways and got chatting with the attendant and I had it in my case in the car, we took it apart, and part of my clapton coil had lodged itself way down inside the damn thing. We had tried firing off a mech mod first and it immediately started glowing way off down to the side. I appreciate all the help everyone! Going to just be much more careful building. Thank God for the newer mods with the protections and whatnot. If I'd been running off a mech mod and went about it differently I'm sure it wouldve/couldve caught fire on me.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
So I ended up going into my local shop anyways and got chatting with the attendant and I had it in my case in the car, we took it apart, and part of my clapton coil had lodged itself way down inside the damn thing. We had tried firing off a mech mod first and it immediately started glowing way off down to the side. I appreciate all the help everyone! Going to just be much more careful building. Thank God for the newer mods with the protections and whatnot. If I'd been running off a mech mod and went about it differently I'm sure it wouldve/couldve caught fire on me.
Glad to hear you safely found the issue.

That is one thing that bothered me about the drop, your coil trimmings has nowhere to go but into the juice well. I recommend trimming your coils before installing them. With tge drop you dont have to be super accurate on leg length so that's a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread