New to vaping but still feel the need to smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devildeath

Jun 23, 2013
Tampa
Hello, this is my first post and I have smoked 3 packs a day for over 25 years now, and just started vaping 4 days ago to try and quit smoking. I went all in for my first set up, a provari with extended battery and a kanger protank. I love the set up, the taste and the replication of smoking, and I feel this is really the best chance that I have ever had to quit. The problem is that I still feel the need to smoke, not that I need nicotine, but perhaps one of the thousands of other chemicals the cigarettes were providing, if that makes sense. Is this normal? If it is, how long until my body doesn't crave these any longer? I'm currently vaping 24mg at 4.5 volts at about 4 mil a day, I've dropped from 47 cigarettes to about 15. Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Blueline85

Jun 7, 2013
Ny, Ny
Hello & congrats... You're on your way. Like yourself I was a pretty heavy "analog" smoker for several years as well and up until about a few days ago, after about a month of vaping & smoking simultaneously, those Marlboro Reds that tasted so delicious to me daily, just happened to make me feel sick. I literally just lost my taste for them. I definitely chain vaped and I think this may have helped. Everyone's body is different. Getting down to 15 is a great accomplishment. You'll do it! Good luck!

analogaddict

Jun 17, 2013
Colorado
First of all I can't even begin to comprehend your pain away from cigarettes right now because I only ever got to a pack and a half a day before I started vaping, but my username isn't analogaddict for nothing. After upgrading from my ....ty-battery-life blu cig to a volcano inferno I dropped in how much I smoke a ton, down to about 2 or 3 cigarettes a day, but I still feel the need. I totally understand where you're coming from and I'm not sure if it's because the amount of nicotine you get from a drag off an ecig is so much less than a cigarette or if it's from the tobacco itself or another chemical entirely, but while some people quit right away when they begin vaping it takes some of us a bit longer than we had hoped. It takes a lot more willpower than you may realize or hope to put into it, but I wish you the best in your struggle to quit. I give you props for trying and I hope I'll be able to as well, but it's just harder than I had wished. Perhaps its the flavors I'm vaping or the nicotine amount. Don't freak out right now, just set yourself goals and begin to smoke fewer analogs slowly. Try different flavors and different % of pg/vg and see what works for you. Eventually you'll find something you love and won't need a cigarette.

iceman68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
Give it time. In some cases it's more of a gradual transition. Everyone is different when it comes to the smoking/vaping crossover. Considering you were a pretty heavy smoker, I'd say cutting down to 15 cigs a day is a vast improvement.

As you become more familiar with vaping, and try new liquids and set-ups, hopefully you will see your cig consumption decrease further. Don't beat yourself up if you still have a few smokes here and there. It's a difficult habit to break.

Lots of info and support here on ECF so keep reading/learning/asking. :)

tatterz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
dfw, tx
I found myself still smoking the same amount of analogs for 2 months after I started vaping. Its all about finding the flavors that will help you really delve into being a vaper. After that, smoking is really just a routine/habit and one that is easy to break out of since you're still getting your nicotine. As my lifestyle began adjusting to vaping, the freedom it provides etc, I can't stand the taste of cigs anymore.

It started off with simple challenges to myself - lets see if i can make it all day without a cig. Now another. Now another day. It only got easier from there cus now I literally just don't want one lol. I'd rather something tasty I can use in my car/room with noo probs

But, I was only a 5-per-day smoker. Cutting back 3 packs to 15 is an accomplishment!

Last edited:

chillaxing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
los angeles, ca
congrats on the switch. Dont worry about still wanting to smoke. I been off of the analogs for 3 months now but i still crave and have a cig here and there. Probably had about 5 cigs since that last time i bought a pack. Mainly when i'm around friends that are smoking or when i'm out at a bar or some sort. Just keep at it. As long as your not smoking the same amount as you were before, your golden.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I agree, it's not the cigarettes you do smoke but the ones you don't. Just think, you are smoking 45 cigarettes per day fewer than you were - that's like a carton and a half a week less - :thumb:

You could try upping the nic level, I know some vapers that started at 36mg and they were only a 1 - 1+1/2 PAD smokers - it's worth a try.

Also, try reducing the triggers, if you know you always love that cigarette after a meal, then make sure you have a stronger juice and your PV with you during that time, maybe do something else when you normally would be outside smoking. If you like that one first thing in the morning, then go for it - but make a deal with yourself that you won't smoke another until lunchtime. The hardest part for me was knowing I would never smoke again - so I just said I won't smoke for an hour, then another hour, then until dinner, then, before too long I had not smoked all day.

I've been analogue free for 2 months now, but the other day I was out grilling and I got such a strong urge to smoke. I didn't, but those cravings can be pretty intense. I just got my favorite juice (Tribeca from Halo) and vaped the crap out of it. But you know if I had have smoked, so what, I've not smoked thousands of cigarettes and one little cig is not a failure, it's just a delayed victory.

Good luck, use the forum as a way to learn and as a support. There are literally thousands of members on here that both understand what you are going through trying to quit, but won't ever judge you for having a cigarette.

You're moving in the right direction, so I wouldn't worry. Just keep at it and after time you'll switch naturally.

How is your vaping technique? I found it hard at first but was vaping the same way I smoked (i.e. short sharp drags). If you're doing like I did, you won't be getting enough nicotine. Youtube vaping techniques and try to find an instructional video showing you how to vape like a vapor instead of a smoker, that really helped me make sure i got enough nicotine from a vaping session.

Ref Minor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
UK
You currently smoke about 1 an hour during waking hours. Keep vaping as much as you can and try to increase the time between cigarettes. Vape as soon as you wake up instead of having the first cigarette, and have it after an hour instead. Then when you need a cigarette, vape more and try to hold out for 1/2hr or even 1/4hr extra. Then as you adjust slowly increase the times until you are on 2 or 3 cigs a day. At that point try to switch to days without or just 1 a day as a treat.

Don't beat yourself up if it goes slowly, you have already cut down by more than I smoked a day total.

VapHer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2013
Houston, TX
Hello there! I have smoked approx 1.5 ppd for about 15 years now (16ish almost)... I have been vaping for just over a week, and although I have drastically decreased my smoking (I'm down to about a half pack per day) I too am still smoking. I am vaping at approx 24mg and 4 mil a day (more or less.)

The decrease in your smoking is phenomenal IMO!

I personally have given myself a quit date with smoking analogs, and for now I am not beating myself up for still smoking the little amount that I am. In time, the full quit *will* come for the both of us :D I am finding the more I vape, the less I am wanting to smoke analogs -- and the more I prefer vaping. That's a GOOD thing!

Best of luck to you!

:vapor:

hmorphone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Fort Pierce, FL, USA
I'm in a similar boat. I've dropped from 1.25 packs per day to about 7 or 8 at 24mg nic level. I just got a 36mg nic juice as an experiment and it seems to drop my urges for an analog even more. I might have given up though if I hadn't heard the success stories on here from folks who dropped the analogs gradually.

Welcome and congrats on the switch! It definitely could take a little while to totally get off of analogs. My husband and I started with Greensmoke when we first decided to quit analogs. It was great for a little bit, not the same taste of an analog, but pretty close, and gave me the same feeling as if I were still smoking. It helped me cut down alot at the beginning. We have been analog free for almost 2 months now, and let me tell you, I feel great! Of course, then my husband got me into vaping.... and I love it! It is just what I need! All the flavors, and equipment, while still very new to me, have been great! We are anywhere between a 12 mg and an 18 mg with most juices, and that is what works for us. We were die hard Marlboro Light smokers, so i think that this affords us the amount of nic that we both need. I think that in this almost 2 months span, I have only really wanted an analog 2ce. Just stick with it! It was a definite change for us, but in a good way! Keep on vaping and trying new things (juice, equipment) until you find your perfect set up and you will never want to go back to analogs again!

Coyote.au

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2013
Victoria Australia
20 days and today was the first time I wanted log, not sure why be I did.
So I picked up my mod and hit it hard. I also picked up my simple ego and
Due to less draw and thicker vape it seemed better than the vamo and kanger which draws
a lot of air. I also switch hit between a tobacco and coffee juice.
Rather pick up a log I went to my desk draw and found my vary last emergency tobacco
And binned it ,last week I gave away packet of logs that were in the truck to an opposition company
driver and wished him well with that .

So just get it into your head that you started up vaping as a personal positive self harm reduction method
to try to feel better because smoking was not making richer or healthier, only makes companies that don,t care
money.

look at my banner and see how much better of I am and I can breath better deeper and I'm also losing weight
Its all good welcome and bin them.

Last edited:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was a 3 pad 40 year smoker. The cravings take a while to master...but I managed to vape thru them. I didn't start vaping to quit...I only hoped that I could cut down some. However, for me it seemed almost too easy to quit.

My wife was a 2 pad 40 year smoker. It took her a few weeks to stop completely. She was smoking every hour or two, so she managed to get down to about 1/2 pad...then slowly quit.

So everyone is different. Give it time...and four days from 2-3 pad down to 15 is a great accomplishment.

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA
Welcome to ECF, and congrats on the great progress you've already made! :thumbs: It took me almost 4 months to completely quit the analogs (today is Day 8!), and I believe most heavy smokers do need to go through a transition period to get to the other side. Believe me, after 30 years on the analogs I NEVER thought I'd see the day when I wasn't smoking, but last Monday something "clicked" and I found that I didn't need to go outside to have that first morning smoke. During my transition period I told myself it was OK to smoke a few a day (because the alternative was just WAY too scary for me :cry:) but at the very end I was down to just one a day. Just keep vaping, go at a pace that's comfortable for you, and don't hesitate to let us know if you need any help or support. You can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread