New to vaping looking to learn more and get advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Friends,
I'm very new to vaping. As in I'm waiting for my first vape to arrive and I know it isn't quality but hopefully will get me started. I already know I will want a better one and hope you can advise me. The situation is that I was a very very heavy smoker (chain smoked 4 packs a day), thankfully both hubby and I stopped smoking 22 years ago on Dec 6, 1996. Lately, I'm craving a smoke more than ever, possibly because my aide smokes though not in my house, perhaps I'm smelling it on her. I can't go back to cigarettes and I don't want to go back to nicotine either. What I am looking for is:
1 - The sensation of smoking without doing it, will use menthol ejuice.
2 - I don't care about a big vapor cloud.
3 - Not looking for a big throat hit, probably smaller is better.
4 - I need a starter kit.
5 - I don't know which is best DTL or MTL. I thought DTL was more like cig smoking but read something that said no MTL is more like it.
6 -Not a topic for discussion on this forum
Any and all advice greatly appreciated on what to get vape and ejuice wise. What not to get etc. Heck, I don't even know the best source for buying stuff.
Sorry, so long thanks for reading this far if you did and any help you can offer.

Last edited by a moderator:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I personally advise against menthol juices in general. Menthol is easily the least healthy juice flavoring there is. I remember coughing up blue while I was smoking menthols. That wasn’t the tobacco. There are lots of tasty flavors that aren’t menthol though, some of which are fairly similar tasting such as mints.
The favored pod system atm around here seems to be the breeze2
The cheapest place to buy is definitely online. The cheapest of the online places are generally located in China and shipping can take months. Big savings though. It often becomes a question as to whether the savings are worth it or not. Frequently they’re not.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I'll be honest that post was easy on my eyes and brain very well put together :thumb:
I will confirm that yes smoking is MTL, doing DTL is more for bigger clouds.
Unfortunately that's all i can do :( I don't mtl much these days and i've got no idea what's out there for that kind of vaper.

We do have lots of folks around here that might very well help you out ! no idea about juice making either sorry again :(

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@bombastinator – curious why you think menthol is unhealthy? Is that because it makes you cough or is there something truly unhealthy with it? I don’t mind a nice menthol hit every once in a while and vape straight Spearmint on occasion. Will admit it is not an all day vape, and I am selective with the coil(s) which I use it with. But find it refreshing.

@GreenFuzzer – as for MTL vs DTL, they are 2 different actions that produce 2 different results. Personally I don’t think you should limit yourself to just one - try them both and draw your own conclusion for non of us can tell you what you may or may not prefer. MTL is an action that mimics smoking, but it may not be the action that draws you away from smoking. Smoking for 35+ years I found DTL to be more satisfying – but that is just me. However, you will never know unless you experience both. Although cloud production is a by product of DTL vaping, many DTL vapers, myself included, do not vape in that action because of the clouds. Some actually feel it offers more taste.

My best advice is to go check out a local store and get to know the goods and different types of e-liquid. If the store offers sampling, take full advantage and try as many juices. Perhaps the store will allow an instore demo of the different types of vape products.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I can't help with pen style vapes but an Innokin Kroma/Zenith kit is a favorite with new and experienced vaper's both. Black Friday sales are coming up if you can wait to order. What do you already have coming?

As for menthol e juice my uncle has been using it for years with no ill effects. He particularly likes Mount Baker menthol ice. We don’t use oils in our juices; e juice is vg, pg, flavoring. Isn't hard to find 0mg juice until you start mixing.

Welcome to ECF.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

Lots of good advise above. I would just say, don't worry about spending some money getting started. It may take awhile to find your "sweet spot". It's still cheaper and healthier than smoking. Once you're satisfied with your equipment and liquids, the cost drops dramatically.

DIY juice is something to consider for the future. The cost is literally pennies on the dollar vs pre-made.

BTW some smokers do DTL. I knew a few that did.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Hi @GreenFuzzer and welcome.

I'm relatively new to vaping as well, but as a long time (almost ex) smoker, here's my 2 cents worth and what's works for me.

See my comments on (5), are you going for menthol as you used to smoke menthol cigarettes? Getting a cigarette tasting vape is notoriously difficult, I'd suggest getting an ejuice that really makes you go "wow" rather than trying to replicate cigarettes per se. It took me about 10 - 12 different purchased samples to get there, just having one or two sample hits isn't enough to determine if a vape will work over time

3 - Not looking for a big throat hit, probably smaller is better.

You want to look at high VG content juice, but this comes at the expense of wearing out coils and wicks faster and less flavour. Personally, I prefer higher VG/PG ratios as it is not as rough on my throat.

4 - I need a starter kit.

Really difficult to advise there, but I started out with a Cleito 120 tank with a Reuleaux RX2 mod. It is solid and gives good battery life with twin 27100 batteries. The paint on the button wore off mine after a few weeks, but the display and menu is easy to navigate and it would probably survive being dropped. It has a nice, solid, comfortable feel to it. While you really should charge batteries in an external charger, you can charge them in-situ at a push.

5 - I don't know which is best DTL or MTL. I thought DTL was more like cig smoking but read something that said no MTL is more like it.

DTL is the only way I can vape, taking the vapour straight into my lungs. I really struggled with MTL (Suck vape into mouth, inhale extra air to pull vape into lungs) as the air/vape mix irritates my lungs badly. DTL worked well for me, and is the only way I could reduce my cigarette consumption to negligible levels (for me anyway). So yes, MTL as a vaping technique is identical to smoking, but your mileage may vary. This will also dictate the kit you buy, what I recommended above is DTL kit. Personally, I'd try both and see what you feel most comfortable with. If MTL sends you into coughing fits, don't despair, try DTL with a wider air intake.

6 - I'd love to be able to make an ejuice that is ... oil (Blue Dream) with menthol. Would I be able to mix the two with some distilled water?

In theory yes, but why would you need to? People use distilled water (and sometimes vodka) to dilute their ejuice, but I've had excellent results with DIY juice without either. Mixing you own ejuice is a bit like theoretical chemistry, what you think will work frequently doesn't, and what you think will fail sometimes ends up a spectacular success. How an ejuice smells when mixed is a very different beast from when it has steeped for a while and is vaped. That's what makes it a great hobby, you'll never be bored experimenting :).

HTH

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@bombastinator – curious why you think menthol is unhealthy? Is that because it makes you cough or is there something truly unhealthy with it? I don’t mind a nice menthol hit every once in a while and vape straight Spearmint on occasion. Will admit it is not an all day vape, and I am selective with the coil(s) which I use it with. But find it refreshing.
It didn’t make me cough. It’s when I coughed I coughed up blue specks. I did read about things though because of your question. My understanding that the crystals cause mechanical damage in the lungs which apparently used to be a thing, and what I had heard, turns out to not be true. It apparently messes with calcium channels of nerves and the cooling sensation is only perceived. Sort of like the opposite of hot sauce I think anyway. Based on this I’m going to have to back off from my belief that menthol is harmful. I guess I should thank you for that. Smarter every day and all. I hate it when I believe things that turn out not to be true.

Before I do my replies I have another question or two. If I understand what I have read to get DTL I need a Sub Omh. As long as the Omh is less than one that makes it Sub Omh and DTL? Or do I have to have one that says DTL? Do I have to have one that says Sub Omh or just the specs saying it is less than one or whatever number you wonderful people tell me it needs to be? I so appreciate all the replies and wealth of knowledge you have shared with me and hope to someday be able to help someone else in the same way.

@bombastinator Thank you for your input. I've been looking at some on Aliexpress and eBay. You mentioned "pod system". Could you explain what that is to the old newbie? Thanks. BTW I'm with you I do like to learn something new every day but I get ticked when I when I find out what I thought was true isn't.

@QcVaper Thank you for the kind words.

@Punk In Drublic Thanks for the help! From what I have read DTL sounds more like the way I use to smoke. Like when I was young and smoked weed. Long slow drag and as deep as possible. Unfortunately, I'm housebound so getting to a shop and checking stuff out isn't an option right now.

@Letitia Thank you for your thoughts. This is the one I have on order 10 Colors 1100mAh USB Charging Electronic Cigarette Kit Quit Smoking Delicate Fashion Mini Vape Pen Kit-in Electronic Cigarette Kits from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group I did it from US shipper so it should be here faster but they haven't mailed it yet. I was also looking at Push Button Battery O Pen Thick Oil Herb Preheat 510 Thread Variable Voltage Kit | eBay since it is or CBD oil. I'll check on the Mount Baker menthol ice.

@gandymarsh Thanks for the help. I'm hoping to be able to do a CBD oil with menthol so I can kill two birds with one stone.

@Storm52 Thanks I appreciate it.

@Old Greybeard Wow! Thanks for all the information!! Yes, I use to be a menthol smoker so that is why I thought it would help.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
We can't really advise you on this forum about making CBD. There are probably other forums on the internet where you could find how to make it. On this forum, no "drug additives" are allowed to be talked about except for nicotine.
Why we don't allow drug talk

There is no reason why you shouldn't use menthol flavor. There are many commercially prepared e-liquids that are flavored menthol, with or without nicotine. These are two of my favorite menthol flavors:

I echo the recommendation for the Kroma/Zenith starter kit. The Zenith tank is a MTL tank that mimics smoking a cigarette with its restricted draw.

Innokin Kroma-A with Zenith Starter Kit
Innokin Kroma-A with Zenith Starter Kit
List Price: $49.99
star4.5.gif
(33)​

This kit is by no means the only good starter kit. I suggest that you read my blog: Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Before I do my replies I have another question or two. If I understand what I have read to get DTL I need a Sub Omh. As long as the Omh is less than one that makes it Sub Omh and DTL? Or do I have to have one that says DTL? Do I have to have one that says Sub Omh or just the specs saying it is less than one or whatever number you wonderful people tell me it needs to be? I so appreciate all the replies and wealth of knowledge you have shared with me and hope to someday be able to help someone else in the same way.

@bombastinator Thank you for your input. I've been looking at some on Aliexpress and eBay. You mentioned "pod system". Could you explain what that is to the old newbie? Thanks. BTW I'm with you I do like to learn something new every day but I get ticked when I when I find out what I thought was true isn't.

@QcVaper Thank you for the kind words.

@Punk In Drublic Thanks for the help! From what I have read DTL sounds more like the way I use to smoke. Like when I was young and smoked weed. Long slow drag and as deep as possible. Unfortunately, I'm housebound so getting to a shop and checking stuff out isn't an option right now.

@Letitia Thank you for your thoughts. This is the one I have on order 10 Colors 1100mAh USB Charging Electronic Cigarette Kit Quit Smoking Delicate Fashion Mini Vape Pen Kit-in Electronic Cigarette Kits from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group I did it from US shipper so it should be here faster but they haven't mailed it yet. I was also looking at Push Button Battery O Pen Thick Oil Herb Preheat 510 Thread Variable Voltage Kit | eBay since it is or ... oil. I'll check on the Mount Baker menthol ice.

@gandymarsh Thanks for the help. I'm hoping to be able to do a ... oil with menthol so I can kill two birds with one stone.

@Storm52 Thanks I appreciate it.

@Old Greybeard Wow! Thanks for all the information!! Yes, I use to be a menthol smoker so that is why I thought it would help.
The line between sub ohm and MTL is a little grayer than that. You can MTL vape as low as .6 or .7ohm depending on exactly how you set things up. Of course you can DL that high as well, again depending on the rig. Sub ohm and DL is characterized by the way the person vapes and the amount of airflow used as much as by the resistance.
Pod systems are a newer type of vape where the atomizer and juice container are a single disposable unit. They are almost always MTL and generally very small. They are no muss no fuss systems and often have very low initial cost but tend to be expensive in the long term because you have to keep buying pods. Hello razor blade model. They are often very compact. I got the impression I guess that you would be an occasional user without a lot of vaping experience so I thought you would be one of the better candidates for a pod system because they’re small, simple, MTL, and cheap as long as you don’t vape all that much.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I don't want to go back to nicotine either.
Welcome and glad you joined.
I vape zero nicotine and really don't miss it. It just one more expense and taste interference in the DIY mix.
After you establish your vape equipment, Mint and menthol should be easy start DIY mixes.
Could read:
Above-Ohm Vaping vs Sub-Ohm Vaping
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
Would I be able to mix the two with some distilled water?
Might like to read:
Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
http://www.ecigexpress.com/shop/diy-e-liquid/diyordie-concentrates.html
The Ultimate Guide on How To Make Vape Juice & E-Liquid
https://www.thevaperstable.com/e-liquid-mixing/
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/wiki/diy_beginners_guide
Please read the stickies below:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/diy-e-liquid.38/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread