New to vaping, paranoid about getting fired for having my E-Cig at work!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R211

Aug 23, 2013
United States
Hello,

I'm a college student with a part time job at a movie theater. Today I brought my e-cig to work, and discreetly vaped in the bathroom during bathroom breaks when no one else was in there, in the elevator, and in the corners of dark, empty, theaters.

No one saw me vape, but I am super paranoid because a coworker told me that managers have kicked out customers for using E-Cigs at the movies, and are "super strict" about it.

I am paranoid and am afraid maybe one of my coworkers will say something to a manager, because I told a few of them about it, or possibly that they will catch me doing it on camera or something. I'm not going to do it anymore, but I'm just super paranoid for some reason.

Basically, I'm not smoking or using tobacco, would they have grounds to fire me over it anyway? If I explain that I wasn't aware I wasn't allowed to vape, and that no customers were around, and that there is no policy on it and will simply refrain for it in the future, am I fine? A friend of mine told me that they cannot legally fire me over that because I could claim they are firing me for the medical condition of nicotine addiction, and I broke no company policies or rules because the only rules in the company handbook is "no tobacco products or smoking on the property."

I'm being paranoid for no reason I'm sure, it's just I was vaping all throughout the day at work, and am afraid someone saw something or will say something :/.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I had the same fears. I work security, and frequently that means I'm sitting at a desk at a Hospice for 4 hours, (1-2 a week, other shifts I'm driving or no ones around so I say screw it.) I suggest just going into the bathroom stalls, and vaping it up on your break. If you just relax and act like its nothing, than others will probably think the same. Plus, it's usually a conversation piece.

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
Why not just ask them? The worst they could do is say no, and since you're not going to do it anymore you didn't lose anything. If they say you can, but impose limits on it (during breaks, in specific areas, etc.), then you'll be able to vape and won't have to sneak around in fear of losing your job.

In today's world of e-mails, text messages, social media, etc., we've lost sight of the most effective means of human communication - actually talking to somebody face-to-face.

Mattmancool34

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2013
Pittsburg, Ks, USA
A company can implement any policy they want regarding vaping. I would suggest the aforementioned vaping outside. Then maybe an employer will see it and ask you about it and explain how it works. I would assume vaping in a movie theater could cause vapor to block the screen so that other customers experiences would be degraded, however maybe your employer will tell you when and where inside you could vape if you brought it up to them.

FordPrefect

Aug 20, 2013
Sparta, TN
Not to spark your paranoia, but its true that they could fire you for virtually any reason they wanted. As far as whether they can "Legally" do it or not would have to be later decided in court and would be very costly and kinda ridiculous.

However, the lingering effects of vapor and odor from vaping is virtually non-existant so vaping in the bathroom should not be too much of an issue if you MUST do it. But, you should probably just vape up on your breaks or in designated smoking areas and avoid the stress and hassle. You will probably find that a lot of people (smokers) are very intrigued by vaping and the devices so it will be kinda cool and you might convert some people.

Also, the higher your juice is in PG the less "smoke" it will create. Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread