fired for vaping??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
If you live in a state that has "work at will" policy, the employer doesn't need a reason to let someone go.

Agreed, NC is an "at will" state. You can be let go for no reason whatsoever. But here, a reason was given... justifiable or not, it was the reason for termination, which can be discriminatory. A good attorney will find the terms for the lawsuit, regardless.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
To the OP, in what State were you employed? Several States have an At will employment policy. Unfortunately, if this is the case in your State, there may not be much you can do as the employer can break the employment relationship with no liabilty unless there was an existing contract or you are a member of a union. There are also several other specific exceptions to this policy(in certain States)so, I would still contact an attorney.

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
They may not need a reason, but the employer gave a reason. Had he simply fired him "at will" then really nothing can work. However, the firing is now based upon a very specific reason, so I believe that changes the game.

Lol, beat me to it! And I also agree with another comment made. Blindside them! No warning, no chance to get their ducks in a row. Hit 'em hard and fast, they will most likely settle than go through the public ridicule.

ironlung

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
queens n.y.
Thank you all for the advice. I think the most disturbing factor for me is that I was punished for doing something proactive to better my health. I will be consulting an attorney as well as my labor board to see what can be done. Thanks again.
leting all aside. You may not want to go back to this job even if you win! Only you know what all the circiumstances were which may have led to this, and if the boss was a real ... about this ,you should seek legal coucil. They can lead you in the right direction.

They may not need a reason, but the employer gave a reason. Had he simply fired him "at will" then really nothing can work. However, the firing is now based upon a very specific reason, so I believe that changes the game.
Yes, I believe that very well can change the game

I agree with everyone above. Get an attorney BEFORE contacting corporate. Let the attorney release hounds.
BEFORE IS KEY, but you may still want to file for unemployment the sooner you file the sooner you get the money.If this takes a long time you may need the unemployment,you should talk to a lawyer and follow his direction if it is a strong case, you should be able to go probono/no money paid,all taken after settlement.Otherwise "buyer beware"

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA

It doesn't, the "at will" doctrine simply means the employer & the employee cannot be held liable for ending the employment relationship, regardless of the reason. However, besides the contract and union thing, there are several State specific exceptions, which is why legal counsel should be sought.

More can be read about At will employment here:

At-will employment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
I would get an attorney also. An e cigarette is a non tobacco product and therefore does not fit into there rules.

I would say the boss was looking for a reason to fire you, and used this as his reason.
Before I go on to play devil's advocate here (and I kow I'm not going to be popular for this post :oops:), I just want to say that I think that your employer has behaved appallingly here, but: vapers can't have it both ways.

In the US, you appear to only have 2 choices: either PVs are classed as tobacco products or they are classed as drug/drug delivery devices and subject to FDA application and medical trials. Most vapers appear to be fighting tooth and nail to keep them out of the drug/drug delivery device category since this categorisation would mean that the PV would be pulled from the market during application & trials. (Indeed, the SE/Njoy case is still on-going regarding this.)

Now this happens and everyone is trying to put them into that classification!

Now, we all know that the reality is that PVs do not comfortably fit into either category, but because of their recreational use, they seem to sit more comfortably with tobacco rather than medical products.

Just be careful what you wish for in this particular case!

For the OP: Yes, get some good professional advice, but the first thing I would do is check the ACTUAL WORDING of your company's 'no tobacco' policy. Does it say 'no smoking', or 'no tobacco' or 'no nicotne' use, for example. Any professional you go and see will need to see this in any event, so check it our carefully.

Good Luck! :)

gooney0

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Falls Church, VA
Sorry to hear of your problems, and the fact that your employer treats its employees like cattle.

That said....

Being a small business owner myself, I must point out that employers do have rights as well. No one has a constitutional right to work for my company.

All employee are "at will" contracts in most cases. You can quit at anytime with no cause likewise you can be fired for no cause. There are exceptions to this of course. (race, sexual harassment, etc.)

A disagreement over policy doesn't void the at-will contract unless the policy is illegal. Unreasonable doesn't count as illegal.

Now if you're in a union or have a contract in place that may be another matter all together.

Anyway, I'm sorry you got fired. I'd skip the lawyer and try writing a letter to HR.

Thank you for your post. Hopefully the rest of us can avoid the same situation.

-Gooney0

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
So sorry for you- hope getting an attorney and looking into even having your doctor (if they understand the e-cig) write a note stating the device is for nicotine consumption/ habitual satisfaction and thus should be allowed to be used at work... I would have probably given my boss a heads up on the feelings in the work place though- depends on what and where you work... I am in NC- what company are you with?

Elapid

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Mississippi
First day I went to work with my e-cig, I showed it to my boss. I told him, "now I'm not smoking in your building" and proceeded to vape. I vape at my desk and haven't heard anything about it. This is in a health care facility that doesn't allow smoking indoors. I guess I'm lucky that the administrator has an open mind, that and I believe the e-cig is getting a lot of support from the medical community.

navyboym

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2009
California
Yes let this be a warning! please clear it with your employers before vaping freely as if thinking too yourself "Oh this is legal! har har!". That goes without saying in any public place! I always ask and demonstrate what I'm doing. Some people allow me to vape in their establishments, some don't, and I respect the people that do not allow it just as much as the ones that do.

Ask First!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread