New to Vaping with so many questions. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashif

May 26, 2019
Hi everyone,

Trust you are fine. This message is going to be long so I try to be as brief as possible. New to vaping and still smoking. I smoke Benson and hedges. Its been a very tough ride to find a flavour which actually tastes like a cigarette. Tried many which claimed to be pure tobacco but to me they tasted sweet. I then tried Black Note Quartet and found it close to a real cigarette so that issue is now solved. My questions are:

1) My plan is to go nicotine free over time. Started as 6 mg ejuice and will lower the nicotine strength gradually and ultimately take it to nicotine free vape but will continue to vape to don't feel deprived. So with a lower dosage of nicotine or then with completely nicotine free will I feel a difference in taste of the juice or if it will taste same to me? What is your experience when you lower the nicotine strength in your ejuice?

2) I use a basic Smok Infinix device but someone told me that this device is good only for Nic salts and not for juices. How true is that and also someon else told me that if I have to use it I must use a 50/50 PG and VG. But why its like this because of the low wattage of the device? Please explain and if Infinix is not recommended what kind of device shall I use? I don't like the big tanks. Prefer something sleek and easy like infinix is. But kindly let me know if I need to switch then what device is good for me which is safe and looks elegant and sleek (money is not a problem. I just need a good product)

3) This question if for vapers who have been vaping for years that how safe vaping you find than the conventional smoking?

I hope to get many replies. Thanks for your time.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi everyone,

Trust you are fine. This message is going to be long so I try to be as brief as possible. New to vaping and still smoking. I smoke Benson and hedges. Its been a very tough ride to find a flavour which actually tastes like a cigarette. Tried many which claimed to be pure tobacco but to me they tasted sweet. I then tried Black Note Quartet and found it close to a real cigarette so that issue is now solved. My questions are:

1) My plan is to go nicotine free over time. Started as 6 mg ejuice and will lower the nicotine strength gradually and ultimately take it to nicotine free vape but will continue to vape to don't feel deprived. So with a lower dosage of nicotine or then with completely nicotine free will I feel a difference in taste of the juice or if it will taste same to me? What is your experience when you lower the nicotine strength in your ejuice?

2) I use a basic Smok Infinix device but someone told me that this device is good only for Nic salts and not for juices. How true is that and also someon else told me that if I have to use it I must use a 50/50 PG and VG. But why its like this because of the low wattage of the device? Please explain and if Infinix is not recommended what kind of device shall I use? I don't like the big tanks. Prefer something sleek and easy like infinix is. But kindly let me know if I need to switch then what device is good for me which is safe and looks elegant and sleek (money is not a problem. I just need a good product)

3) This question if for vapers who have been vaping for years that how safe vaping you find than the conventional smoking?

I hope to get many replies. Thanks for your time.

Hi and welcome,
With a device like the Infinix, a nicotine level of 20mg/ml or higher is needed.
I have a Justfog minift pod and a Vaporesso Zero, I use freebase nicotine in both at approx 25mg/ml. IMO, throat hit is mild.
Since pods are small coil, small wick devices, juices with 70% or less VG tend to work more reliably. When mixing for pods I aim for 60%-65% VG.

I smoked for almost 30 years.
I've been vaping for the last 7 years, I started at 24mg/ml and dropped to 6mg/ml three years ago.
I like nicotine and don't plan to reduce my intake.

I don't think vaping is "safe", per se, but it is much less harmful than smoking.

Welcome to the ECF.
I

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I was a heavy smoker for 35 years, and started vaping before salts were a thing, at 24 mg/ml.

My goal is not to be nic free, but over time I needed less nic. I now vape mostly 6 mg freebase, and occasionally use a pod type thing with 25 mg salts.

So 1) you should be able to tell when you’re ready to decrease. And you may taste a little difference, but it won’t be much, as low as your nic is now.

2) What pg/vg ratio you need is dependent on the atomizer and ohms if the coil. Salts can be used in anything, but the commercial ones tend to be higher pg than sub ohm tanks can handle.

If the ohms if your coil are .8 or less - and this isn’t carved in Stone, but a close guess- you’d want higher vg. 50/50 is fine for .8 and higher. And the higher the ohms, the lower the watts.

If you’re happy with your device, then it’s right for you. I would say get a back up or two.

3) I believe vaping is vastly safer than smoking. I’m careful about batteries, I take care of my gear, I keep my atomizers clean, I make my own coils and juice. So I have as much control over what I’m vaping as possible. I also try to stay informed on all aspects the best I can.

I’ve been vaping over 5 years and I don’t notice any ill effects.

I will say I may be a bit biased on the subject as I watched my husband of 31 years die of lung cancer. I saw the effects of smoking up close and personal, and it would take some major evidence to convince me that vaping could be anywhere near as devastating.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I was a heavy smoker for 35 years, and started vaping before salts were a thing, at 24 mg/ml.

My goal is not to be nic free, but over time I needed less nic. I now vape mostly 6 mg freebase, and occasionally use a pod type thing with 25 mg salts.

So 1) you should be able to tell when you’re ready to decrease. And you may taste a little difference, but it won’t be much, as low as your nic is now.

2) What pg/vg ratio you need is dependent on the atomizer and ohms if the coil. Salts can be used in anything, but the commercial ones tend to be higher pg than sub ohm tanks can handle.

If the ohms if your coil are .8 or less - and this isn’t carved in Stone, but a close guess- you’d want higher vg. 50/50 is fine for .8 and higher. And the higher the ohms, the lower the watts.

If you’re happy with your device, then it’s right for you. I would say get a back up or two.

3) I believe vaping is vastly safer than smoking. I’m careful about batteries, I take care of my gear, I keep my atomizers clean, I make my own coils and juice. So I have as much control over what I’m vaping as possible. I also try to stay informed on all aspects the best I can.

I’ve been vaping over 5 years and I don’t notice any ill effects.

I will say I may be a bit biased on the subject as I watched my husband of 31 years die of lung cancer. I saw the effects of smoking up close and personal, and it would take some major evidence to convince me that vaping could be anywhere near as devastating.
I’m curious why you say that 50/50 juice is better with coils 0.8 ohms and higher? And higher vg is better in sub-ohm tanks? I use 50/50 exclusively and my atomizers are 0.13 ohms with mesh up to 0.8 ohm with my highest ohm coils. Just wondering your reasoning because I’ve never heard this, (I don’t think) I wouldn’t put it past me to have, not only heard this, but also to have recommended it at some point with my memory being what it is, lol.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I’m curious why you say that 50/50 juice is better with coils 0.8 ohms and higher? And higher vg is better in sub-ohm tanks? I use 50/50 exclusively and my atomizers are 0.13 ohms with mesh up to 0.8 ohm with my highest ohm coils. Just wondering your reasoning because I’ve never heard this, (I don’t think) I wouldn’t put it past me to have, not only heard this, but also to have recommended it at some point with my memory being what it is, lol.

I always thought high VG clogs up the lower ohm coils quickly.
    But I'm no pg/vg expert:)

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    1) Nicotine to no nicotine is your own path to follow, however you think you can get there.
    I personally started with 48MG almost 7 years ago. A month or so later, I was down to 36. Several months after, down to 21 (which at that time was the one of the 2 main strengths you could get easily) A year or so later, 18. About 3 years ago, I started using sub-ohm devices - Down to 12 - 9 - 6 pretty quickly to 3mg. I still have a flavor I bump up to 5mg and I know when I vape that one too much as I start to get Nic sick (The sweats, nauseous, rapid heartbeat) and I lay off for a bit.
    I do not plan to go nic free, but you never know....

2) The ratio of your eliquid is up to you, regardless of the device. Some devices (toppers) will not like too much PG, some won't like too much VG. For the PG hating devices, add some VG until it works good. For VG hating devices, if you do not want PG in the mix, you can add small quantities of Distilled Water (DW) to thin it down.
    I normally mix what is called Max VG eliquids, meaning the only PG in them is from the flavors I use, if they have it. I do mix up 20PG and 80 VG mixes though.

3) Vaping almost 7 years now, after smoking for 36. While I have gotten a lung full of formaldehyde now and then (Dry Hits) and thought that would cause me to cough a lung out, I never did. Don't get me wrong, I have issues, but none of them are from vaping. I felt I was almost at the end of my rope with the smokes I just couldn't quit 7 years ago. I have actually gone days without a vape where if I was smoking I wouldn't last 2 hours. Some nights I would wake up after a few hours just to smoke.. I do not have that problem with vaping.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio

Just my experience. Higher ohm coils don’t seem to wick thicker liquid as well. Mind, I use drop ins for those. If you make your own, that may not be true, but almost all of my RBAs are dl.

And those do better with a bit thicker liquid because it helps prevent dry hits and leaking. I have a couple RTAs that require max vg or they’ll leak like mad.

That said, you seem to have different atties than I do- I only have a couple that take pre made mesh coils and I hardly use them. And whatever works for you is fine. I prefer the vape I get from a 25pg/75vg and I tend to go for atties that handle it well.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    1) Nicotine causes a burning sensation in your mouth and throat. You may miss this as part of your vaping experience, but if you reduce the nic level slowly you may not miss it at all.

2) VG is quite viscous (thick) and PG is quite runny. If the atomizer is quite small then the juice will need to be appropriately runny to allow if to flow into the atomizer correctly. This is also dependent of factors like airflow and the amount of power you use. It can require some trial and error to get this balance right with any device.

3) Most people here consider vaping as harm reduction, putting anything in your lungs other than fresh air is not desirable. However the Royal Collage of Physicians have publicly stated vaping is at least 95% less harmful than smoking. So as an alternative to smoking which is known to cause sickness and eventually death, the numbers are pretty good.
    I smoked for over 30 years, and I have been vaping for over 9 years. When I smoked I would get debilitating bronchitis at least twice a year. Since I started vaping I have not been properly sick even once.

Links to the RCP articles -
    E-cigarettes inquiry
    Nicotine without smoke: Tobacco harm reduction

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    What is your experience when you lower the nicotine strength in your ejuice?
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    I vape zero nic and I have no problems with bad nic or the expense,hassels nic can produce. Go for it. As for the other questions, you might want to try the ECF search function located in the upper right hand corner of this thread. You may get more information than you might want.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Been vaping 8 years and its truly incredible how my body has healed from 30 years of smoking...there is no doubt in my mind that vaping is the best way to stop smoking. One thing I see alot is new vapors immediately saying they want to reduce nic , which imo shouldn't be something that you should really be concerned about now. One should totally focus on quitting smoking, period, no matter the nic. Perhaps next year when you feel that cigs are pretty much behind you, then perhaps make a plan...when that time comes, if you can reduce nic without increasing juice consumption, that's ideal, but if you lower and at the same time vape much more juice, then you probably aren't lowering anything. You also have to think about daily nic intake at that time and if you are vaping 4mls at 20mg per day let's say, that's 80mg daily . Now if you lower to 10mg juice, but now are vaping 8mls per day, it's really the same nic, but now your inhaling more chemicals......getting to zero at the same mls is fantastic if you can do it, but your still vaping chemicals, no matter if there's nic or not....the best of luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nancy D

May 21, 2019
    New York
    Been vaping 8 years and its truly incredible how my body has healed from 30 years of smoking...there is no doubt in my mind that vaping is the best way to stop smoking. One thing I see alot is new vapors immediately saying they want to reduce nic , which imo shouldn't be something that you should really be concerned about now. One should totally focus on quitting smoking, period, no matter the nic. Perhaps next year when you feel that cigs are pretty much behind you, then perhaps make a plan...when that time comes, if you can reduce nic without increasing juice consumption, that's ideal, but if you lower and at the same time vape much more juice, then you probably aren't lowering anything. You also have to think about daily nic intake at that time and if you are vaping 4mls at 20mg per day let's say, that's 80mg daily . Now if you lower to 10mg juice, but now are vaping 8mls per day, it's really the same nic, but now your inhaling more chemicals......getting to zero at the same mls is fantastic if you can do it, but your still vaping chemicals, no matter if there's nic or not....the best of luck

So true. I quit the last week of March, and started vaping 3mg since it's all they had.
    I was still smoking since obviously that was not enough by a long shot. Then I got a better device and 6, 12, and 18mg juice so I could adjust it.

It's two months now and my milligramage is all over the place still, but I have no plans to cut down or quit. That's like opening a possible door to ciggie relapse, imho.
    Really good post!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    So true. I quit the last week of March, and started vaping 3mg since it's all they had.
    I was still smoking since obviously that was not enough by a long shot. Then I got a better device and 6, 12, and 18mg juice so I could adjust it.

It's two months now and my milligramage is all over the place still, but I have no plans to cut down or quit. That's like opening a possible door to ciggie relapse, imho.
    Really good post!
    Thanks.....its so hard because everyone is so different. For some it could be just the hand to mouth action with visable vapor and not the nic. Some it's more mental then physical, but I do think for most it is all about the nic and nic in vaping is such a bad word....I guess it's no different then smoking, as so many think nic is the worst thing about cigarettes, so when they get to vaping they immediately want to reduce...I bet there are many who start vaping and in their first juice purchase buy a lower nic because they immediately have that lowering in mind and imo it's not the correct thought. I personally think at first one should be aggressive in their choice and stay aggressive, not only until they completely quit, but have that mind set that they will never touch another cig....after that , small step downs with trying not only to lower their juices mgs, but to lower their daily intake. For us older folk, who are in it to the end, stay with what has worked.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I can only speak for myself here, but my overall health since switching to vaping has never been better. I had high cholesterol and was also about to be diagnosed with COPD. I don't have the faintest hint of a wheeze now and my cholesterol levels normalized so I don't have to take meds. To be fair, I was a decades long smoker who was smoking about 3 ppd by the bitter end.

Vaping is much safer than smoking. I don't plan to quit nic anytime soon. I have heart attacks and Alzheimer's in my family and I will take the heart attack (nic may help with the big A it's not ALL bad.)

Also, and no offense intended you may want to actually quit smoking before worrying about how you will get to zero nic.

Anna

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    The reason why high-VG liquids (70% and up) are popular in sub-ohm setups is simply because the PG throat-hit can be quite harsh otherwise.
    I dont sub ohm (well I do, but vape mtl at 20 watts) or use drop ins, but there may be a little truth in sub ohm using higher vg. Some of those monster drop ins have huge juice holes and it can be possible that thinner juices can be a little gurgling. Also I do think thicker juices hold up a little better at major wattages...again, I dont know this for sure because it's not my vaping style, but from reading posts here and there, it might have some truth to it..I'm not saying you cant vape a 50/50 at 150 watts with a smok sextuplet coil, but a thicker juice might perform a little better....

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I can only speak for myself here, but my overall health since switching to vaping has never been better. I had high cholesterol and was also about to be diagnosed with COPD. I don't have the faintest hint of a wheeze now and my cholesterol levels normalized so I don't have to take meds. To be fair, I was a decades long smoker who was smoking about 3 ppd by the bitter end.

Vaping is much safer than smoking. I don't plan to quit nic anytime soon. I have heart attacks and Alzheimer's in my family and I will take the heart attack (nic may help with the big A it's not ALL bad.)

Also, and no offense intended you may want to actually quit smoking before worrying about how you will get to zero nic.

Anna
    I use to be on cholesterol meds a couple years back, but stopped going to doctors since then . I really need to go back and get another check up and am hoping that my numbers are better because of perhaps the pg. That would be so awesome if I no longer needed that medication.....when I started vaping I was only hoping for 2 things, one was to never smoke and the other was for my ailments to not get worse. What I didn't expect was for my ailments to go completely away!! Truly amazing

Nancy D

May 21, 2019
    New York

You should have a blog, these posts are really good.
    They're helping me and other people, and the original guy.
    Thanks.

• Agree
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I was off meds for about two years (couldn't afford them or labwork) and when I went to my first PCP checkup with labs I fully expected to be scolded, put immediately back on the medicine.... NOPE. I'm so glad I couldn't afford it I guess cigarettes were the TOTAL culprit because it's all I changed.

It was pretty sweet. Good luck if you GO!! :)

Anna

• Love
    Reactions: Nancy D
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread