Semi-new to vaping. Need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
Hello.
I’m 38 years old.
I’ve been smoking cigarettes since I was 16.
About a half a pack to a pack a day.
I’ve tried quitting several times since I was 30.
Nicotine gum, nicotine lozenges, nicotine patch, cheap gas station vape pens, a few V2 brand vape pens.
Nothing worked.
On March 2 I decided I would try the Juul.
Surprisingly it worked.
I haven’t thought about a cigarette or had a cigarette since.
I also bought the Smok Infinix to alternate with the Juul.
I use the 45mg Mr. Salt-E juice with the Infinix.

So the Juul pods have 50mg of nicotine salt.
Mr. Salt-E has 45mg of nicotine salt.
The amount of nicotine is becoming too much for me.
I’m getting headaches, rapid heartbeat, etc.
I probably vape it more than I should but it’s keeping me off cigarettes.

I need to get something with less nicotine that still provides the throat hit I get from the Juul and Infinix.
I’m not interested in something that provides big clouds of vapor.
I’m not interested in a large box mod.
Just something small/fits in my pocket and provides a good throat hit at a lower nicotine level.

Any suggestions?
What type of device should I buy?
What type of e-juice should I buy?
How many mg of nicotine should be in the e-juice?

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: stols001

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
The advantage of nic salts is a much smoother throat hit and the ability to use higher strengths. Regular (freebase) nicotine has a much better throat hit, even at much lower strengths. I suspect something in the range of 18 to 24 mg regular nic in a low power mtl setup would work just fine for you. If you went with a high power dtl, cloud machine, something in the 3 to 6 mg regular nic would work.

eta: Welcome to the forum

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
The advantage of nic salts is a much smoother throat hit and the ability to use higher strengths. Regular (freebase) nicotine has a much better throat hit, even at much lower strengths. I suspect something in the range of 18 to 24 mg regular nic in a low power mtl setup would work just fine for you. If you went with a high power dtl, cloud machine, something in the 3 to 6 mg regular nic would work.

Maybe a regular (freebase) nicotine could work for me in my low power mtl device. What are the most popular brands and flavors that offer 18 or 24 mg? I prefer fruit flavors over dessert flavors.

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
Just about anything mtl will do what you need. You could go with a small tank setup like a target mini, or just about any pod mod that allows you to fill the pods yourself. Ive got a PEAs which isn’t bad and would work, for example.

Does the target mini only produce large vapor clouds? Big clouds just aren't my thing. I try to sneak in some vapes in my office so I can't have a big clouds.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Does the target mini only produce large vapor clouds? Big clouds just aren't my thing. I try to sneak in some vapes in my office so I can't have a big clouds.
Nope. It’s a mtl device. They claim it does both mtl and dL but really it’s supposed to be better at mtl. Tiny little LiPo mod. Enough battery to go all day though. The big issue with LiPo mods is you have to charge them through the microUSB2 port and the ports are fragile. MicroUSB2 was never designed to be a primary power port. I personally suggest using a magnetic usb cable

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I'd be concerned that cutting the nic to 1/4 (12mg) of what is currently being used may be too much of a decrease at once.
Different kinds of nicotine though, sounds like he wants to physically vape more but too high of nicotine is preventing him from doing this, nic salts basically hit you faster and leave your system faster, freebase nic hits you slower but keeps you sated longer and the lower nicotine will allow him to vape more often.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you like the pod mod system but want to be able add your own e-liquid:

It would be difficult to make any recommendation on e-liquid brands, primarily because there are so many to choose from and everyone's taste perspective is so subjective and different from one another. Ie...what I like you probably won't, and vice versa.

APA1

Apr 12, 2018

Would a 18 or 24 mg freebase liquid work in my Smok Infinix? I’ve heard people say that you should only use strong nicotine salts in the low power pod mods.

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
Different kinds of nicotine though, sounds like he wants to physically vape more but too high of nicotine is preventing him from doing this, nic salts basically hit you faster and leave your system faster, freebase nic hits you slower but keeps you sated longer and the lower nicotine will allow him to vape more often.

Yes I’m looking to vape more at a lower nicotine level and keep the throat hit. But not looking for a large box mod with large clouds of vapor.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, one of the tried and true MTL setups would be the aspire zelos kit with the Nautilus 2 on top. It's a reasonably priced device that will allow you to try some different coils and wattages (it's adjustable, it's small, though it's not pen style, but it's pretty small. The N2 has a 1.8 coil and the ability to adjust airflow and also coils (there are 1.6 coils and 0.7 coils). It was my quitting tank. I used DIY 18 mg/ml nicsalts and I quit (and was a 3 ppd smoker).

I'd suggest getting some high strength liquid (freebase might be good to try) in something like 24 mg strength and the same flavor in 0 nicotine, so that you can try "different strengths" and find what works for you by mixing the liquids in the correct proportions for you so that you can experiment with higher vs lower strength nicotine. You'll probably want a decent amount of PG since you want to be stealthy and the tank is designed for thinner liquids, be advised that the more PG you have in the mix, the more throat hit. You may love it (compared to nic salts) or possibly even find it a bit overwhelming so that's something to consider, too. Etc.

Best of luck, and if you want to vape more, certainly considering different devices, types of nicotine and etc. will all be to your benefit.

Anna

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Would a 18 or 24 mg freebase liquid work in my Smok Infinix? I’ve heard people say that you should only use strong nicotine salts in the low power pod mods.

You can use freebase in anything you choose, just as you can use nic salts in anything. It's all a matter of what works for you and keeps you from smoking. As suggested above by @stols001 pick up some (regular) 24mg juice and 0mg in the same flavor and adjust the nic to your liking.

I use 18mg standard juice in my pod systems (different brand but look similar enough to your Infinix) and they work just fine. I've also used 35mg nic salt juices and found them to be pretty much comparable in throat hit and no improvement at all in device performance. I mostly use juice from a local vape shop, though I like Naked 100's juices too, and they make nic salt juice in lower concentrations if you want to stick with that. I find I can chain vape 18mg juice all I want without the annoying nicotine headache, and it still has nice throat hit.

I'm very happy with my Suorin Drop system, if you're looking for something to replace the Juul that works with any e-liquid. There are lots of other reviews and recommendations over in the pod systems sub-forum too.

Congrats on switching to vaping!

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
I use 18mg standard juice in my pod systems (different brand but look similar enough to your Infinix) and they work just fine. I've also used 35mg nic salt juices and found them to be pretty much comparable in throat hit and no improvement at all in device performance. I mostly use juice from a local vape shop, though I like Naked 100's juices too, and they make nic salt juice in lower concentrations if you want to stick with that. I find I can chain vape 18mg juice all I want without the annoying nicotine headache, and it still has nice throat hit.

I'm very happy with my Suorin Drop system, if you're looking for something to replace the Juul that works with any e-liquid. There are lots of other reviews and recommendations over in the pod systems sub-forum too.

Congrats on switching to vaping!

Thanks. I think I might try 18mg standard juice in my Infinix. I hope I still get the throat hit. I’ve been looking at the Time Bomb Vapors brand. If that doesn’t work I will try getting a lower nicotine level nic salt.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thanks. I think I might try 18mg standard juice in my Infinix. I hope I still get the throat hit. I’ve been looking at the Time Bomb Vapors brand. If that doesn’t work I will try getting a lower nicotine level nic salt.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Sounds like a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread