New vaper/Weird plastic taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PotleCloud

Jun 22, 2015
I started vaping on a Joyetech 510cc because it was the cheapest option. However, I fumbled around and got juice everywhere but tried to clean it up as best as I could. I put 100% VG honeydew juice from Virgin Vapor in it and tried it out. It tasted mildly like melted or burnt plastic that had a TINY hint of honeydew. It just left my mouth with a sickly feeling and taste. So I got rid of that juice in the tank and put in floral juice, again 100% VG. Same taste but now with a tiny hint of roses. I opened up the atomizer and saw that the wicks and coil were drenched. I fired it up and it sparked the juice all over the coil to all over my desk. Dried that out, put it all back together, tried it. Same thing, I just don't know how to fix it. I took up vaping because I bought a pack of cigarettes, questioning if it would be so bad. After 3 weeks, I picked up a vape pen. Is this really how it's supposed to be? I was under the impression that the flavors would actually taste very close to the flavor. I've read that 100% VG juice tends to be very thick and not be absorbable without distilled water, but then I also read that Virgin Vapor's juices are very thin so I figured the water wouldn't be needed. I don't care much about vapor production or throat hit, I just want good, realistic flavor that will detract from cogarettes and maybe even unnecessary snacking. I don't know if I have any allergy to juice ingredients as it hasn't been long enough to tell.
Edit: I also do not cough or get any irritation from lung or mouth hits. My father is a smoker but I don't really get much secondhand from him. I thought this was weird even though I did smoke for a very short period.
Another edit: the metal band in the very center separating the battery and tank gets VERY hot. If I touch it for more than 3 seconds, it's scorching.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
the hot part isnt a good sign.... sounds like the atomizer is malfunctioning... find a local vape shop and get an upgraded tank... a decent tank can be slightly pricey ( 15-40$) but at least they are worth it in the long run.... also, no need to tighten the tank to the battery too tight, just make it slightly snug.

ata: try turning the battery on without an atomizer and see if it still gets hot in the portion you mentioned to rule out the possiblity of the battery/510 connection point is bad or not..

Jace75

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2015
Start thresh wash everything. If you've not got any alcohol based cleaner hot water will work. If you pressed the fire button to early that burnt taste will stay for ever I'm not overly familiar with your set up but in general if you get a bit to excited like me and you don't leave it soaking for five minutes you could of burnt the cotton or the coil. New coil required and patience. Or you could of just had a faulty coil from the get go it happens when aspire brought the atlantis v1 0.5 out the coils were very hit and miss. Now they use natural cotton which has improved them tenfold. Good luck.

Jace75

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2015
The 510cc uses the Joyetech C1 atomizer heads. That's where your problem is.
Either it can't cope with VG liquid, or it just can't cope... they were never very good. This is outdated technology that i.m.o. should not even be on sale any more.
Have to agree just had a quick look and it's nothing more than an ego pen 100% vg maybe to much for it.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I couldn't get these atomizers to work with any ratio at all. They burnt out and got overheated with 80(PG)/20. The model (type) before were even worse. It's so frustrating.
Joyetech bundled some sort of atomizer and cartridge set-up with the EVIC that couldn't even manage the lowest setting (VV/VW) on the EVIC. Burn-out at 3.0v. w.t.h. ?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Off the top of my head, I'd say the first hit was dry and you burnt the wick. Those wicks are silica (fiberglass) and they do taste plastic-y/burned when that happens. If the wick is burnt, it can't be fixed; the coil is trash. If I'm reading Joye's website correctly, the atty has replaceable coils; so replace it and prime it-- put a drop of juice or two down the middle tube, or just soak the whole thing in a shot glass of juice-- before you fire. Replacing the whole atty with an eGo threaded tank--Kanger makes good ones-- is probably a better idea. I'm not trying to run down your gear here, but that thing is old tech and I don't think much of it. I suspect you'll have trouble as long as you own it. I'd move up to at least an eGo twist battery and a kanger T3D or mini pro tank. If the budget will stretch, I'd go farther.

PotleCloud

Jun 22, 2015
Well this is upsetting to hear. I'm quite hesitant to go into a physical vape shop but I don't want to say I threw 30 bucks down the drain. :oops: Can this very simple and small pen really be used with another tank though? That's surprising to hear, I thought only those high-tech mods could have different interchangeable parts.

Reactions: redrebel821

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Well this is upsetting to hear. I'm quite hesitant to go into a physical vape shop but I don't want to say I threw 30 bucks down the drain. :oops: Can this very simple and small pen really be used with another tank though? That's surprising to hear, I thought only those high-tech mods could have different interchangeable parts.
It may only be a burned wick in the coil. Try replacing it. I honestly don't know if you can use that battery with another tank-- I've never actually seen one of them-- but it wouldn't surprise me. Joye also makes the eGo batteries, and the thread is quite common in the small diameter tank market. In general, you can't get replacement parts for anything not very expensive, yes, but this doesn't apply to the threaded connection between tanks and batteries in most cases. Those are intended to be swapable. The most common is the 510 thread, used on larger equipment, and the aforementioned eGo for the small stuff. (There are two others i know of but not common.) I suppose Joye might have threaded your system with something other than their hugely successful eGo type, but why? One other poster here says his wife uses your battery with different tanks; I wouldn't be surprised if it worked. Unfortunately, I know of no other way to check than to go to a store and try. I can't comment on the normality of your coil appearance. I've never seen one.

Reactions: redrebel821

PotleCloud

Jun 22, 2015
It may only be a burned wick in the coil. Try replacing it. I honestly don't know if you can use that battery with another tank-- I've never actually seen one of them-- but it wouldn't surprise me. Joye also makes the eGo batteries, and the thread is quite common in the small diameter tank market. In general, you can't get replacement parts for anything not very expensive, yes, but this doesn't apply to the threaded connection between tanks and batteries in most cases. Those are intended to be swapable. The most common is the 510 thread, used on larger equipment, and the aforementioned eGo for the small stuff. (There are two others i know of but not common.) I suppose Joye might have threaded your system with something other than their hugely successful eGo type, but why? One other poster here says his wife uses your battery with different tanks; I wouldn't be surprised if it worked. Unfortunately, I know of no other way to check than to go to a store and try. I can't comment on the normality of your coil appearance. I've never seen one.
I'll be totally honest, I had trouble understanding you reply. XD the only knowledge I have so far does not have much to do with the actual equipment, just the concept and process of vaping and ingredients...

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I'll be totally honest, I had trouble understanding you reply. XD the only knowledge I have so far does not have much to do with the actual equipment, just the concept and process of vaping and ingredients...
Let me try to be clearer. In the base of your tank is a removable metal part containing both the heating element and the wick that brings juice to the heating coil. All replaceable-coil tanks have one, and rebuildable tanks provide space for the operator to construct one. I think the manufacturer of your equipment call this an "atomizer head;" they are commonly called coils or coil heads. This is a wear part, it must be replaced after a certain amount of use in all vape tanks. What I think is wrong with your gear is you accidentally fired your e-cig while the wick was dry; that is before it became saturated with juice. If so, the wick is probably burned. That's where the burnt plactic taste comes from. It can not be repaired, it must be replaced. Joye makes the replacements, you may have gotten one or more in your kit. It's a small metal part with a short "chimney" sticking out of one end, and threaded on the other where it screws down into the tank. Open your tank and remove the bad one, replacing it with a new one. Make sure the wick is wet before reassembly. This can be done by putting a drop or two if juice down the chimney, or just soaking the whole assembly in juice and removing the excess before putting it in the tank. Next, reassemble your gear and fill with e-liguid. Take several pulls on the mouthpiece without pressing the button to assure good juice flow to the wick. Then hit the button and vape. If that doesn't work, post again and we'll try again.

PotleCloud

Jun 22, 2015
Let me try to be clearer. In the base of your tank is a removable metal part containing both the heating element and the wick that brings juice to the heating coil. All replaceable-coil tanks have one, and rebuildable tanks provide space for the operator to construct one. I think the manufacturer of your equipment call this an "atomizer head;" they are commonly called coils or coil heads. This is a wear part, it must be replaced after a certain amount of use in all vape tanks. What I think is wrong with your gear is you accidentally fired your e-cig while the wick was dry; that is before it became saturated with juice. If so, the wick is probably burned. That's where the burnt plactic taste comes from. It can not be repaired, it must be replaced. Joye makes the replacements, you may have gotten one or more in your kit. It's a small metal part with a short "chimney" sticking out of one end, and threaded on the other where it screws down into the tank. Open your tank and remove the bad one, replacing it with a new one. Make sure the wick is wet before reassembly. This can be done by putting a drop or two if juice down the chimney, or just soaking the whole assembly in juice and removing the excess before putting it in the tank. Next, reassemble your gear and fill with e-liguid. Take several pulls on the mouthpiece without pressing the button to assure good juice flow to the wick. Then hit the button and vape. If that doesn't work, post again and we'll try again.
Looks like I'm going to be ordering a replacement atomizer. My brilliant ... decided to make the same mistake with the second atomizer my kit came with because the first one didn't go well. When I removed the top of the atomizer that had the wick, there was indeed a tiny coil... Is it okay if this is drenched? When I fired the atomizer without the wick and tank, it didn't glow red at all. Just sparked liquid near my eyeballs.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Looks like I'm going to be ordering a replacement atomizer. My brilliant ... decided to make the same mistake with the second atomizer my kit came with because the first one didn't go well. When I removed the top of the atomizer that had the wick, there was indeed a tiny coil... Is it okay if this is drenched? When I fired the atomizer without the wick and tank, it didn't glow red at all. Just sparked liquid near my eyeballs.
Yes, it's ok if the coil is wet. It has to be, that's where the vapor comes from. The function of the wick is to wet it. It probably shouldn't be in a puddle of liquid, but wet is good.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Not heard good things about there products of late which is annoying I've been using there delta 2 for a long time and it's been flawless. The coils are indestructible. Build quality is A+.
Yeh.. I'm sure. They difference is old (should be obsolete) vs latest technology.
The newer stuff is mostly excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread