Newbie from the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I just joined this forum. I started vaping on friday august 4th and I haven't been smoking since. The first days went without problems, but now the craving is going worse. Still, I do not want to go back to smoking. I like the space in my lungs, the absence of stains on my fingers and the smell I used to leave behind me about everywhere.
I'm 60 y/o, have been smoking for 47 years and I'm from the Netherlands.

Welcome to ECF!

It's not surprising that you are having cravings. There are other chemicals, natural and added, in cigarettes that you are probably craving. It may help to raise the nicotine percentage of your juice but it still takes some willpower.
Thanks, Gandymarsh, I just read the article on how to vape and I discovered I did it wrong, so probably there wasn't much nicotine going to my brains. I tried to do it right a couple of minutes ago and let's see where that will bring me. I vape 18mg, which is about the maximum you can buy in the EU. But people here tell me that should be enough. Most vape with much less nicotine.

Hi Petra,
Welcome to ECF.
Tell us a bit about what equipment you are using and the strength of your liquid(s).

Congratulations on your success so far!
You are doing great!

Cheers
I
Thanks, Izan. I have the Aspire Zelos/Nautiles 2 kit and a JustFoqQ2 is underway. I vape tobacco like liquids, on 18mg nicotine.
Despite the cravings I like vaping more than smoking.

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
I quit a 50 year cigarette habit by vaping. What worked for me was dual use. When I craved a cigarette I would take a few draws on my vape, then if I still wanted the cig I would smoke it. Within 2/3 months I no longer wanted a cig, i've now been 4 years cig free. I realize I replaced one habit with another, but hopefully a better one.

I quit a 50 year cigarette habit by vaping. What worked for me was dual use. When I craved a cigarette I would take a few draws on my vape, then if I still wanted the cig I would smoke it. Within 2/3 months I no longer wanted a cig, i've now been 4 years cig free. I realize I replaced one habit with another, but hopefully a better one.
For now we must assume it is a better habit. My lungs are feeling better after 8 days, so that's my gain, never mind the long term consequences.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Welcome Petra :D and congrats on quitting the stinkies. You got this !
Can't lie though i dual used for about a week too before completely quitting, but only 1 per day with my morning coffee that's all :p.

Also good choice on the kit you have choosen it's a good one :)
Cravings are also normal but gotta keep motivated! (what helped me what the flavors i went fruity but i understand some like the tobaco taste)

Reactions: Letitia

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I started with 18 mg on low power equipment. I went up to 24 mg for a few weeks because I was still having cravings. It helped a little.

Smoking is not only addicting, it's habit forming. As we all know, habits are hard to break whether they're addicting or not.

It does get better over time. I still, occasionally, feel like I want to smoke after over 3 years.

Sheilita

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Portugal
Hi all,
I just joined this forum. I started vaping on friday august 4th and I haven't been smoking since. The first days went without problems, but now the craving is going worse. Still, I do not want to go back to smoking. I like the space in my lungs, the absence of stains on my fingers and the smell I used to leave behind me about everywhere.
Hoi Petra welkom
Wat goed van jou dat je na 47 jaar roken gestopt bent.
Gonna write in English now.
I quit analoge smoking 11 years ago and at that time I had to do it the "hard" way. Now we have vaping And already al lot of people could help this with quit smoking.
I hope you will keep trying and try the advice to take a higher nicotine level

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi all,

Hi Petra. Welcome to the ECF.

The 1st Two Weeks after quitting smoking can be Rough. But You Can Make It!

Be sure to drink a lot of Water. Eat well. And try to get a Little more Exercise than you normally would. And make sure you have a Back-Up e-Cigarette and e-Liquids in case something happens to the one you are using.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
18mg is a good level.
People using lower are often vaping higher power. Very heavy smokers quit on 36mg and the 18mg EU law is hard on beginners but I can assure you 18mg at 3 times the power is better than the old days. Cravings are hard to stop but lots of us didn't quit cold, we tapered off. I took me at least 2 months, for example. You can do it! :)

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
18mg is a good level.
People using lower are often vaping higher power. Very heavy smokers quit on 36mg and the 18mg EU law is hard on beginners but I can assure you 18mg at 3 times the power is better than the old days. Cravings are hard to stop but lots of us didn't quit cold, we tapered off. I took me at least 2 months, for example. You can do it! :)
I don't think we have regulations for nic levels here but i stopped using 15 mg the clerk told me higher than that was for like 2 packs a day + smokers. Can't see anyone vaping 36 though 0.0 that seems...... exagerated ?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't think we have regulations for nic levels here but i stopped using 15 mg the clerk told me higher than that was for like 2 packs a day + smokers. Can't see anyone vaping 36 though 0.0 that seems...... exagerated ?

Nicotine Level used is Very Dependent on what type of Hardware one has.

When I switched to e-Cigarette (after 25+ years of smoking) I tried 18mg/ml. I got ZERO satisfaction. And Climbed the walls craving a Cigarette.

So I went to 28mg/ml. It was better. But it couldn't beat back the Intense Cravings I would get 4 or 5 times a day. I tried to just tough it out. But I knew I was starting to cave in.

As a last resort. I ran 2 Setups. One with 28mg/ml as my Normal vape. And in my Second Set-Up I had 36mg/ml. I used this 2nd Set-Up when it All Got Too Heavy. And thoughts of Smoking a Cigarette consumed me.

It Worked.

And after about 2 Weeks I could just go with the 28mg/ml. And didn't need my 2nd (Break Glass In Case of Emergency) Set-Up. But that was a Long Time ago. And the Hardware I was using, a RN4081, pales in comparison to what I use today.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Not really.
We're talking old products and sub 7 watt vapes.
36mg is not much on an original eGo-T; you'd be hard pushed to vape even 2-3ml in a day.
I probably used 2-3ml with a CE4 back then. Things became easier with the rise over 10 watts. Then 36mg became unnecessary for the majority, I guess.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Nicotine Level used is Very Dependent on what type of Hardware one has.

When I switched to e-Cigarette (after 25+ years of smoking) I tried 18mg/ml. I got ZERO satisfaction. And Climbed the walls craving a Cigarette.

So I went to 28mg/ml. It was better. But it couldn't beat back the Intense Cravings I would get 4 or 5 times a day. I tried to just tough it out. But I knew I was starting to cave in.

As a last resort. I ran 2 Setups. One with 28mg/ml as my Normal vape. And in my Second Set-Up I had 36mg/ml. I used this 2nd Set-Up when it All Got Too Heavy. And thoughts of Smoking a Cigarette consumed me.

It Worked.

And after about 2 Weeks I could just go with the 28mg/ml. And didn't need my 2nd (Break Glass In Case of Emergency) Set-Up. But that was a Long Time ago. And the Hardware I was using, a RN4081, pales in comparison to what I use today.
You were most likely a heavier smoker than i was and smoked for much longer (15 years at least) i did a pack a day before and managed to quit on 15 pretty easy tbh but yeah i get that not everyone is the same :p and that to me is the beauty of vaping.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You were most likely a heavier smoker than i was and smoked for much longer (15 years at least) i did a pack a day before and managed to quit on 15 pretty easy tbh but yeah i get that not everyone is the same :p and that to me is the beauty of vaping.

If I had some of the Hardware that is available Today, I'm sure I could have Switched using a Much Lower mg/ml than what I needed back in the day.

In fact, I am Positive I could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread