Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex8039

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Australia
Are the results you get with variable voltage the same as you get by using higher/lower ohm add-ons to a standard ego type battery?

Also, I think I much prefer lower wattage vapor since it seems to give off more flavor, low resistance vivi nova heads seem to give a harsh tasteless vapor. Is there even any point to get a device that goes to 5+ Volts for me?

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
you have the basic idea... yes it is similar... if you have VV, you adjust the voltage to the resistance... ie. 3.7v for a 1.9 Ohms atomizer.

but some like it hotter or cooler so with VV you can go up or down anytime...

I spent 2 years with a provari and learned how each atomizer's resistance will vape at a certain voltage... so that if i have an eGo I will choose the atomizer with the resistance i know will be perfect for me... ymmv.

I like a 1.5 to 1.9 Ohms with an eGo (some types of eGo batts or clones have different true voltage ie. 3.3v, 3.4v, 3.7 etc.)

as for 5v? i guess you would want to use a higher Ohm atomizer. ie 3.0 Ohms or higher.

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
also the higher the voltage.. the faster you burn juices too...

personally when I'm out and about, I just use an ego 650mah twist with a protank (2.0 ohms) on it.. I never go past 4v simply because I find thats usually the sweet spot for most of the juices I use (3.7-4.0) - anything higher and I burn through juice like a motha

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I have yet to find a clearo that wicks fast enough to handle higher voltage. I can get up to 5.5 volts with a 3 ohm cartomizer in a tank depending on the juice I use. I think it also has a lot to do with the length of drags you take and how hard you drag as well. I tend to take about a 5 second long drag and I suck pretty hard (cannot believe I just said that) so I think clearos just cannot wick fast enough to keep up with my vaping style. I am guessing maybe it's the same for you.

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
For those vapers who use off-the-shelf devices, variable voltage/wattage is the way to go. It used to be said around here "once you go VV, you'll never go back". It allows you to turn the power up and down, fine-tuning your vape to give you the experience you desire. You can most certainly do this by changing from standard to low resistance and vice versa, but changing the device is more cumbersome. All of a sudden you have multiple atomizers/cartomizers/clearomizers with varying resistances, but you only prefer a few of them. Rather wasteful of time & money; simply adjusting the battery power is much easier.

Another advantage of a variable voltage/wattage device is that they will keep the power level constant throughout the life of the battery. From the first hit to the last, each one should be the same. On the other hand, if you want to increase or decrease power throughout the day, depending on your needs, you are able to do just that. The juice you want to use doesn't like that much power?....no problem. Just turn it down a little.

For a decent vape with standard ego batteries, try the T3/Evod/Protank devices. The bottom coils work very well with the standard ego batteries, giving good vapor and flavor without all the heat.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If using a single voltage battery device, you can adjust the quality of the vapor (warm or cool) by using different resistances or adding to the distance the vapor must travel from the heating coil to your mouth (top coil vs bottom coil clearomizersor use longer drip tips). Low resistance (1.5 - 2.0 ohm) will provide a warmer vape, standard resistance (2.0 - 2.5 ohm) a cooler vape.

Having advanced to a variable voltage battery device, I am often adjusting the voltage output to the individual flavor that I am vaping. I switch between 3 - 4 flavors a day. I've found my fruit flavors to taste the best between 3.4 - 3.7 volts. Coffee flavors the best 4.0 - 4.5 volts. My cinnamon flavors to taste best 4.5 - 5.0 volts. Variable voltage allows me to adjust to taste or mood on the fly.

As someone pointed out earlier, the processor in V-V and V-W battery devices will regulate the voltage constantly to what you set regardless of the battery's charge. An unregulated, single voltage battery device's voltage output will fall as the charge weakens so that the quality of the vape falls along with the battery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread