Newbie - Should i start with mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

I want to switch from manual to vaping. i was searching on internet and this forum to see what is vaporising all about and what is the best way to start and after reading and reading i found out the real deal is mod.
After looking for different brands and models of all types of e-cigarettes i came to like the nemesis mod.

It looks nice and it seems that with kayfun tank it is one of the bests. But my question is that is it ok for a starter to start vaping with a mod or is it better to start with an e-go and then switch to mod later.

My second question is what are the things that i should buy with Nemesis mod? I know that i need to buy a clearomizer / cartomizer and e-liquid. what else do i need to buy in order for it to be ready to vape?

Third questions is that i have found a Nemesis mod clone, is it good to buy the clone or no.

More information about me is that i am smoking for 3 years around 15 sticks a day. (just in case if it can help for guiding me to start with mod or e-go)

Thank you all in advance and hope i can switch to vaping soon.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
In my opinion, if you wanted to start off with a rebuildable atomizer and a mod, I'd get a VV/VW mod instead of a mechanical mod. With a VV/VW mod, like a MVP2, SVD, VAMO, or even a Provari, you can change the settings of the mod to match your build. That way, if you build a 2.0 ohm coil, you can vape it and set it to an optimal setting. If your build came out 1.8 instead, it's just a matter of switching the voltage or power to adjust to an optimal setting.

With a mech mod, you are stuck with whatever voltage level the battery is currently at. That could be anywhere from 3.5 to 4.2 volts. So the only way to achieve your optimal vape is to build the coil that provides the vape you want. That will need a bit of experience before you can do that consistently.

Also, as a new vaper, your tastes will change a lot in the next few days/weeks. I use to cough if I get too heavy of a throat hit or the vapor was too thick. Now I can't stand a weak vape. I look for that thick vapor to satisfy me. Also throat hit has become less of an issue for me, then when I first started on vaping.

Jscheiben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Ontario, Canada
as stated above i'd recommend starting with a vv/vw device before diving into a mech, also i'd start with a tank system before you get into rebuildables to find out if you're gonna like and stick with vaping. If you do get into mechs/rebuildables you'll need items such as;

Mech
batteries for mech
charger for batteries
multimeter

rebuildable tank(kayfun) or dripper
kanthal wire
wire clippers/nail clippers for cutting wire
wick material(cotton, silica, ecowool, etc...)
something to wrap coils on(drillbit, small screwdriver)
ohm meter for testing coils.

oh and a good understanding of ohms law.

That's everything I can pull off the top of my head. If you start with a vv/vw device such as the MVP 2 and tank system that's all you're going to need other than replacement atomizers and juice.

Hope that helps with the decision process a little. And others can fill in anything I missed.

jwinn1179

May 13, 2014
United States
I would say each person starts at different levels. That being said, my mind was blown by all the confusion of best staring devices, atomizer, mods, resistance, etc. when I started. My suggestion would be to go to a reputable vape shop that can help you find a comfortable starting point for you. Ecf has helped me a lot, but it helped me to get a hands on feel for the devices and find my starting point. I would personally recommend starting with something a little less technical like an ego or itaste to learn the ins and outs before making the switch to a mechanical mod like the Nemesis. Hope that helped.

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
If I was to do it again... I would get a VV/VW mod and a good charger {a nitecore I2 would work} and non-protected imr rechargeable batteries. The battery base is important as the power supply but the topper is what can make the difference in your vape. Over the long run you will save money this way as you only replace a battery when needed.

renorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Reno, Nevada, United States
If I had to start all over I'd go right to the MVP 2.0. It's regulated, vape is better than an ego style variable voltage and battery life is exceptional. It can also be used as a regulated mod with rebuildable attys. and until your ready to actually do that just about every clearo, or carto fits it just fine.

Good luck with your decision, gave my :2c:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi.

I want to switch from manual to vaping. i was searching on internet and this forum to see what is vaporising all about and what is the best way to start and after reading and reading i found out the real deal is mod.
After looking for different brands and models of all types of e-cigarettes i came to like the nemesis mod.

It looks nice and it seems that with kayfun tank it is one of the bests. But my question is that is it ok for a starter to start vaping with a mod or is it better to start with an e-go and then switch to mod later.

My second question is what are the things that i should buy with Nemesis mod? I know that i need to buy a clearomizer / cartomizer and e-liquid. what else do i need to buy in order for it to be ready to vape?

Third questions is that i have found a Nemesis mod clone, is it good to buy the clone or no.

More information about me is that i am smoking for 3 years around 15 sticks a day. (just in case if it can help for guiding me to start with mod or e-go)

Thank you all in advance and hope i can switch to vaping soon.

Get an MVP2; highly recommended for new vapers.
It's a high capacity passthrough battery.

The next step up from the MVP2 would be a regulated container for batteries; plus you'd have to get batteries and charger.
Examples: zmax, evic, vamo, lavatube, sid, provari, semovar, svd

The nemesis is just a battery tube with a 510 thread interface on it; if you get one, at least get a kick module for it so yu can set the wattage and get some basic protections.

===edit===
Apology; just noticed the 15 cigs a day:
for that rate I think an eGo setup will be best to start with. You will probably run a good year or 2 on 2 ego sized batteries:
- itaste vv v3 preferably; (this one can check your ohms, and also offers regulated watts);
- or else an ego-twist, or vision spinner, or smoktech winder (these offer regulated volts);

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
A regulated mod is the safest path to building, and with the advent of 30 watt and higher capable regulated mods, makes for a compelling option. Nice thing about regulated mods, they have an ohm meter built in, and protection for user. Then once one becomes competent and can max out 30 watts, then mechs may be a viable consideration.

The main advantage mechs have, is their is no circuitry to fry or fail. The major disadvantage is there is no circuitry to protect you and the vaper is the safety feature and must know their chit or come to possible harm.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
A regulated mod is the safest path to building, and with the advent of 30 watt and higher capable regulated mods, makes for a compelling option. Nice thing about regulated mods, they have an ohm meter built in, and protection for user. Then once one becomes competent and can max out 30 watts, then mechs may be a viable consideration.

The main advantage mechs have, is their is no circuitry to fry or fail. The major disadvantage is there is no circuitry to protect you and the vaper is the safety feature and must know their chit or come to possible harm.

ditto that: forgot to mention that: especially important for new vapers; the regulated mods like the vamo etc have a screen and can display information for you such as your ohms, volts, watts and these things are important for you to figure out what is going on.

With a simple battery tube like a nemesis, even if you added a kick module, you don't see a screen telling you if there's something wrong with your ohms or volts.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Below are some blog posts by ECF member Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping. He has 14 different blog entries but these listed below are great for beginners.

1. A Good Starter's Setup for a Beginning Vapor
2. Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods
3. Proper terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments.
4. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

Thank you all.

As it seems vaping needs more knowledge and reading. i have searched for the models of VV/VW that you have said and i think i will go with SVD.

the blog posts of Baditude were very helpful and i would appreciate if you direct me to tutorial posts for VV VW settings. I mean the posts that teach me how should i set these things, what are the differences of different settings, etc.

I have read a little but was not suffice. e.g. for eliquid i understand that i have to start from 50-50 PG VG and adjust until i find the perfect mixture for myself. but for voltage, ohm, and wattage I'm still confused.

Thanks again.

I wouldn't start off with a mechanical mod or any tank/dripper system you'll have to build. They require some understanding of electricity, coil building, etc. and it would be somewhat overwhelming to begin with. They're also rather expensive to get set up, and it may turn out vaping isn't for you.

Start with an ego battery and a clearomizer tank, and if all goes well then look into getting a mech. Digital mods are becoming obsolete, IMO.

PuFFdaDragon

May 4, 2014
USA
Honestly I WOULD suggest you get a mech as your first mod! If you get the right and safe equipment a mech will last you forever and they're durable as hell. No chips no wires, just a battery and a tube. The beauty of a mech in its simplicity and reliability. Perfect for a beginner. But I'm not suggesting you a mech or even a mod period for your first device.

Honestly I WOULD suggest you get a mech as your first mod! If you get the right and safe equipment a mech will last you forever and they're durable as hell. No chips no wires, just a battery and a tube. The beauty of a mech in its simplicity and reliability. Perfect for a beginner. But I'm not suggesting you a mech or even a mod period for your first device.

You would suggest it, but you're not suggesting it?:confused:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Thank you all.

As it seems vaping needs more knowledge and reading. i have searched for the models of VV/VW that you have said and i think i will go with SVD.

the blog posts of Baditude were very helpful and i would appreciate if you direct me to tutorial posts for VV VW settings. I mean the posts that teach me how should i set these things, what are the differences of different settings, etc.

I have read a little but was not suffice. e.g. for eliquid i understand that i have to start from 50-50 PG VG and adjust until i find the perfect mixture for myself. but for voltage, ohm, and wattage I'm still confused.

Thanks again.

It doesn't need to be complicated. When you get the SVD - I have one - set it to variable watts. You don't need to choose both watts amd volts at the same time, and can't. If you set it at certain wattage, it reads the ohms (resistance) of your attachment on top and then sets itself to the right voltage for the power (watts) you set.

Don't start with a high setting - start low and work your way up. So you set the watts - click up the watts until it tastes right to you, and vape at that setting. That's it.
There's a link in my sig below with a bit more explanation.

Last edited:

DFireOnly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
Texas
A lot are set on VV and VW mods here. I do both mech mod and controlled devices. Anything can fail if not done right. Awesome if you want to do a mech mod. I will not run you away from this as it can be fun. I enjoy a build of 0.25 ohms to 0.5 ohms. If you really want to do mech mod find someone at a shop and have a seat. Vape and ask questions. Im sitting here with a fogger .8 ohms on a 18650 vtc5 30 amp battery in a Nemesis Style Mechanical Mod. I always used dippers and still do. The fogger v3 is my first tank rebuild-able 28g Kanthal A1 with organic cotton wick.

Being safe is a must and it helps to have someone with knowledge around to get you started on mech mods. 6 pm news isnt a good place to be. lol Happy vaping and enjoy.

militiascene

ECF Veteran
Also, as a new vaper, your tastes will change a lot in the next few days/weeks. I use to cough if I get too heavy of a throat hit or the vapor was too thick. Now I can't stand a weak vape. I look for that thick vapor to satisfy me. Also throat hit has become less of an issue for me, then when I first started on vaping.

+1 on this buddy. Since I made my way to the mech world, I can't stand regulated devices (too weak IMHO). You definitely have to work up to it though. My old lady tries to take a hit from my M16 every once in a while and she just can't do it. Still stuck on that twisty. I can hardly taste anything on my old MVP 2 now though and that used to be like my third hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread