Newbies - remember to DRINK MORE FLUIDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Add an extra two glasses of water / cups of tea a day if you vape as it dehydrates a little (nothing to get alarmed about though.) You'll thank me later. They never tell you in the vape shops. It's common knowledge to most posters on here, but no harm in mentioning it every now and then.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Coffee in the morning. Water throughout the day, with just enough coffee to keep from getting caffeine withdrawal. Vodka at night.;) Mixed with various fruit juices... Never straight!

Not had a soda in years and has been over 25 years since I drank them regularly. No longer drink sports drinks since Gatorade changed their flavor years ago. Never had an energy drink. Not even a sip!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
We brew coffee at a slightly lower strength than recommended on the package, but my wife and I will finish off a pot together in the AM. I'm constantly drinking water periodically throughout the day. I like iced tea at meal time, but sometimes we like a Coke or two (small 7 oz. size can) during the day.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not one person in the history of vaping has convinced me why this should be true....
However, seeing as most people don't drink enough water, i concur with the message ;)
I've always been told since I began vaping to drink plenty of liquids.

Pg and Vg (propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin) are both classified as humectants. Humectants are ingredients found in lotions and cleansers that hydrate the skin by attracting water molecules like a magnet. Chemically speaking, humectants are hygroscopic substances that form hydrogen bonds with water molecules.

The Pg and Vg in the vapor allegedly will attract water (moisture) from the mucus membranes, resulting in a dry mouth and throat. Therefore, drinking more liquids will replace the moisture lost from vaping. That explanation works for me.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
There's no doubt that you get a dry mouth vaping. Sips of water or any liquid will help. A warmer liquid generally relieves that better. However, it dies not cause dehydration, just dry mouth. Even if you vape 30ml of juice a day, your mouth will be dry but 1 ounce of that is not going to make you lose quarts of water from your body. It's not a diuretic and won't be sending you to the bathroom every hour.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
It sounds plausible - everyone knows the anecdotes so it must be true, right ?
Has anyone ever tested the exhaled vapour for additional moisture over a regular breath ? Not that i know of.
I have however noted that simply breathing through your mouth causes you to lose moisture and can cause dry mouth. And what do vapers do a lot of ?
The advice, in most cases, is sound but i question the validity of the reason.
I am, however, a pedant. :pervy:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Ahhhh a topic I luv to bust...

VG PG "attracts" about 40% of its volume ( max) in water... so if you vape 100ml of juice in a day, you loose 40 ml of water from your system due to that function...

and Bad, Im gonna pick on your post... " Humectants are ingredients found in lotions and cleansers that hydrate the skin by attracting water molecules like a magnet."
"The Pg and Vg in the vapor allegedly will attract water (moisture) from the mucus membranes, resulting in a dry mouth and throat."

HUH?? o_O

If VG/PG coats the mouth when vaping ( as it would like a skin lotion to attract moisture) then it should moisten the inside of the mouth shouldnt it?? and Im glad you said allegedly too ;)

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
HUH?? o_O

If VG/PG coats the mouth when vaping ( as it would like a skin lotion to attract moisture) then it should moisten the inside of the mouth shouldnt it?? and Im glad you said allegedly too ;)
The alleged part is my hypothesis. ;)

If pg and vg attract water from the mucus membranes, as vapors we blow off that moisture when we exhale. leaving the mucus membranes less moisturized than before. If not, why is the dry mouth and throat such a common issue with vapers?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Use to get severe leg cramps when I smoked – would wake me up in the middle of the night. Don’t think I have ever suffered from one since I started vaping, and I know I do not consume more water/fluids – if anything I probably consume less.
Interesting. I used to get those with some regularity before I switched to vaping. I can't say I never get them anymore because I did a couple of weeks ago, but I'll say it's a lot less frequent now than when I smoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread