News: SE is set to battle FDA as BT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
I found a link on tobacco.org that links to the St Petersburg Times that proclaims:

Electronic cigarettes set for battle with FDA - St. Petersburg Times

Excerpts:

The FDA announced on July 22 that a laboratory analysis of e-cigarettes found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze.

Matt Salmon, the president of the Electronic Cigarette Association, criticized the report as too narrow in scope and not including a peer review.
"My personal feeling is that it was a lot more about public relations than public health," Salmon said.

If Smoking Everywhere wins the lawsuit and becomes part of the big boys club of tobacco companies, it still faces rough waters.
At the end of June, President Barack Obama signed the Family Smoking Prevention and tobacco Control Act to create stricter tobacco regulation.
Despite this legislation, Linscott said Smoking Everywhere is ready to face the challenges of being a tobacco company.

"If we are correct that it is a tobacco product, we are subject to all of the limitations and regulations of Marlboro and any other traditional cigarettes that you can name," he said.

Tobacco roadblocks (info for future directional of action)
If e-cigarettes are found to be tobacco products, here are some ways the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act could pose some issues for Smoking Everywhere:
• By October, tobacco companies will no longer be able to make candy or fruit-flavored cigarettes. Smoking Everywhere has different flavors of cartridges such as vanilla and strawberry.
• Tobacco manufacturers may no longer sponsor sporting, athletic and entertainment events using tobacco product brand names and logos. This year Smoking Everywhere sponsored several large entertainment events, including the 40th Annual NAACP Image Awards, the Grammy Awards and the Oscars.
• A new Center for Tobacco Products will oversee the science-based regulation of tobacco products, which would ultimately put the control of tobacco products in the FDA's hands.

Hmmm! That way the liquid nic would be available and we could all add our own flavorings! ;) A few more hoops to jump but I love the grandfathering in aspect!
...btw, www.tobacco.org is a webcrawler that finds anything from around the world about all things related to tobacco and the e-cig, sometimes hourly...just a heads up for researchers!:D Opinions?

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
If it goes through, I am thinking that a 30ml bottle nic juice will cost an extra hundred dollars in taxes.

Nah I suspect the juice versus cart purchase will be the equivalent of the roll your own tobacco pouches. Lots cheaper. Further, there are no excise and federal taxes as well as MSA monies added to the price as there is in tobacco products. The tobacco companies are actually the ones funding the new FDA bill on tobacco and have a seat on the board but it is a non-voting seat. Keep in mind this is an attempt to keep the product available and protected as cigarettes are.

The implications for suppliers and experts in the e-cigarettes are enormous.;)

jimik

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Spring Hill, Fl
Nah I suspect the juice versus cart purchase will be the equivalent of the roll your own tobacco pouches. Lots cheaper. Further, there are no excise and federal taxes as well as MSA monies added to the price as there is in tobacco products. The tobacco companies are actually the ones funding the new FDA bill on tobacco and have a seat on the board but it is a non-voting seat. Keep in mind this is an attempt to keep the product available and protected as cigarettes are.

The implications for suppliers and experts in the e-cigarettes are enormous.;)

That would be pretty sweet.

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
same here I started with 18mg four months back and already transition into 6mg. my next purchase will be half 6mg and half 0mg and will split it to 3mg. And Im hoping to go to zero after that. I really do enjoy vaping and I hope that this will continue....But what blows my mind is why can they just hit the liquid and not the devices.....what if the sellers only sold aroma juices that have no nicotine at all and the ecig devices...thats wont be a drug delivering device....this just makes no since to me at all.

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
same here I started with 18mg four months back and already transition into 6mg. my next purchase will be half 6mg and half 0mg and will split it to 3mg. And Im hoping to go to zero after that. I really do enjoy vaping and I hope that this will continue....But what blows my mind is why can they just hit the liquid and not the devices.....what if the sellers only sold aroma juices that have no nicotine at all and the ecig devices...thats wont be a drug delivering device....this just makes no since to me at all.

The association of "health claims" made by a few suppliers with the e-cig has reaped this interest from the FDA. I wonder if the allegations against flavored carts with no-nic would still be viewed as "training wheels for children" to pick up the habit of smoking, whether by e-cigs or a "gateway" to smoking tobacco. I hope not...I love Cola and Red Bull flavors!:D

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
The association of "health claims" made by a few suppliers with the e-cig has reaped this interest from the FDA. I wonder if the allegations against flavored carts with no-nic would still be viewed as "training wheels for children" to pick up the habit of smoking, whether by e-cigs or a "gateway" to smoking tobacco. I hope not...I love Cola and Red Bull flavors!:D
but how can the FDA hammer all the suppliers:confused:...i know most on this forums make s no health claims at all just only as an alternative.....

Mighty Cowphin

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Oregon Coast
Sigh. Why doesn't the FDA go after Smirnoff for Apple Vodka???? Or Sparks/Joose for Energy Drink flavored malt liquor? Same principle after all.

I ABSOLUTLY agree... (I am not a drinker) But it has always ...... me off that cigs were taxed so high and they will kill you in 60 years and alcohol can kill you right now... they hold alcohol to a different standard and it is a drug... and very much advertised to children....

Very good point!!!!!!!!

Now can we get the FDA to pull their heads outta their butts long enough to figure this out????

Mighty Cowphin

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Oregon Coast
Personally, I believe that if there's any businesses and suppliers who are taking part in this battle for ecigs against the FDA, we should flood them with our orders. We need them, and they need us. Time to show it.

I do what I can... although SE is really not a place I want to buy ... NJOY I could prolly support.. I know... they are fighting the big fight for us... I will go and see if they have anything...

Satyr

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Franklin Park, Illinois
Nah I suspect the juice versus cart purchase will be the equivalent of the roll your own tobacco pouches. Lots cheaper.

Then you'd suspect wrong! I was rolling my own for a while. Check this out...

SCHIP Tobacco Tax Rate Increases | RYO Revolution

Federal tax on RYO tobacco used to be $1.10 per pound. That was before the April 2009 increase. The new tax on RYO tobacco is now a whopping $23.78 per pound. That's an increase of 2,159%! And that's just for the Federal taxes. Don't forget about state and local taxes. It's not cheap to RYO any more.

To say they won't tax the hell out of e-liquids based on their equivalent in number of traditional cigs is just crazy talk. They have to make up the loss of tobacco tax revenue somehow. That's probably their biggest issue. They haven't figured out exactly how much they'd tax it yet.

Last edited:

RandallFlagg

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Denver, Co, USA
Then you'd suspect wrong! I was rolling my own for a while. Check this out...

SCHIP Tobacco Tax Rate Increases | RYO Revolution

Federal tax on RYO tobacco used to be $1.10 per pound. That was before the April 2009 increase. The new tax on RYO tobacco is now a whopping $23.78 per pound. That's an increase of 2,159%! And that's just for the Federal taxes. Don't forget about state and local taxes. It's not cheap to RYO any more.

To say they won't tax the hell out of e-liquids based on their equivalent in number of traditional cigs is just crazy talk. They have to make up the loss of tobacco tax revenue somehow. That's probably their biggest issue. They haven't figured out exactly how much they'd tax it yet.

Same here. My bags went from $12 per pound bag to about $50.
Absolutely insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread