Nic Juice Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

invididual

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Im thinking of getting a 100mg bottle of nic, and i was wondering... after i dilute it (i plan to pre-dilute to 24) would it be safe to store in an empty soda bottle? also, ive read about freezing it, being as ill have more than i can use for months, what would be the best solution for long-term storage?

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Last edited:

sanman969

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Seattle, WA
Maybe don't dilute? It is already mixed in PG or VG (depending on what you buy). Use three bottles, one large and two small so that you can occasionally thaw (bring to room temperature, it doesn't really freeze) one of the smaller bottles. I'm assuming you would be making some DIY batches and can add the nic as you mix, thus arriving at the desired nicotine level.

Glass is the way to go. I try to fill the bottles as much as possible with very little air. Then seal the bottles and store in a large tupperware in the freezer.

I buy my bottles here: Specialty Bottle - Glass Bottles, Glass Jars, Tin Containers, Vials, Plastic Bottles, Plastic Jars for Food, Cosmetics, Candles and Aromatherapy

Very reasonably priced.

Hope this helps.

DeFib

Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Los Angeles
I have been told by a VERY well known suppliers, who stores and ships in plastic that the issues about plastic contamination is false. They made it very clear that ALL of the nicotine they order and then dilute, even down to the 100MG level comes from their overseas supplier(s) in LARGE plastic containers and is stores in them for a long period of time prior to it being sold to us DIY folks.

I would love to see peer reviewed research that shows this "contamination" from plastics.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I have been told by a VERY well known suppliers, who stores and ships in plastic that the issues about plastic contamination is false. They made it very clear that ALL of the nicotine they order and then dilute, even down to the 100MG level comes from their overseas supplier(s) in LARGE plastic containers and is stores in them for a long period of time prior to it being sold to us DIY folks.

I would love to see peer reviewed research that shows this "contamination" from plastics.

There is a very well respected Chemist on this forum that has taught us that plasticides can and will leach into our liquids when stored in plastic. There is much information from many well known and respected sources stating the same thing. It is a well known fact and I would nottake any chances if i were you :)

It is not contamination, it is a chemical reaction.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
This is just one post that I found from the chemist that I speak of

mwa, sorry for the delay in responding. Been rather involved with family health issues the last few days.

+10 for Pete54s list. I've not done much experimenting on this aspect of storage. I do know that PG and VG, and actually nic itself, will leach plasticizers from some plastics. That is the taste you get if you taste plastic. Plastic itself has not taste. My personal experience is that early on in my vaping, I had some squeeze bottles of premixed juices which over time did take on a plastic taste, and I stopped using those bottles. I have not tasted any plastic at all with my 3, 6 and 10 mL squeeze bottles from USPlastics, never had any issues and I have used some bottles for years without noticeable change. These are all cloudy softer plastic, however, so if they are more cloudy now I could not say. They are LDPE and are designed to hold liquids far more reactive than e-juice without reaction or leaching.

That said, I do only store long term in amber glass (SpecialtyBottles.com). For daily usage, the soft squeeze bottles I get from USPlastics should be fine, since they are designed for biological and chemical storage.

Nalgene® Dropper Bottles | U.S. Plastic Corp.

I cannot speak to bottles from vendors, without knowing exactly their source for them. Chances are they are LDPE, it seems the ones I mentioned earlier were something else which delivered a distinct plastic taste. Not had that with the ones I use now, or any cracking or obvious morphological changes.

The clearos I first bought a year ago or so did crack eventually, and I do not use cinnamon or clove, both of which will kill hard plastic...and yes, I would call it etching, since if you grind cloves in a hard-plastic-lidded coffee grinder, the oils will render the smooth surface very cloudy. Both of those oils are very corrosive. So I would guess the clearos cracking would have happened a lot quicker with clove or cinnamon juices. Don't ask me what I think of people that vape that stuff. The kind response would be "you are playing with chemical fire, and you are a fool". But I will not sidetrack this important thread with that lung and membrane chemistry...google it.

Oh, and a rubber dropper bulb may over time dissolve with contact with VG or PG. I think this because we used to use EG in dropper bottles for lab lube, and those rubber bulbs would eventually dissolve from it, and VG and PG are not much different chemically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread