Nic level and vaping questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddy

Jan 25, 2011
Virginia
I am / was a pack and half a day smoker. I have been vaping on 18mg nic and seem to be vaping more than I was smoking the analogs. I've been vaping for about a week now (still occasionally grabbing an analog, maybe twice a day). I plan on quitting nic completely. Is it normal to vape more than you smoked when you first start vaping? What level of nic are most other ppl using? I heard that 18mg was the same as a "light" analog which is what I was smoking. Is this right?

Free2BeMe

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Kentucky
I vape alot more than I smoked. I think one because it was new and two because you don't have to go outside and all of that stuff. I can just do it anywhere. I was always under the impression that 18mg was relatively like medium. I could be wrong. I've only vaped for about a month. I only vape 11 or none. I think if you vape all day you need to get some juice that is low so you don't OD on nic.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Most people start vaping with 18 or 24 mg so you're on par with most others new to vaping. It's also really normal to vape more than you smoked, especially in the beginning. Nothing to worry about there unless you feel signs of nic overdose and then with minimal signs give yourself a break from the nic for a short time and you'll be fine. It sounds as if you have concerns but no real problem at this point so dont over worry about how much you vape. What's most important right now is that you find what's right for you to give up those analogs if that's what you wish to do. Some people do it quickly and for others it takes longer. We're all different so don't worry about comparing yourself to others you read about. If you continue to have a problem giving up those last few analogs in the next week you might want to get some 24 mg and give it a try when you feel that strong urge to have an analog. Use 18 mg the rest of the time if it works for you. If you feel the 18 mg is doing its job but are really worried about vaping too much get yourself some 12 mg and use that for right now only when you're chain vaping(for me that was when I was sitting at my computer in the evening) and use the 18 mg the majority of the time. You'll have plenty of time later after you've kicked that analog habit and you're on solid ground with vaping and free of all the other addictives in cigarettes to start working your way down the nic mg levels if that's what you plan to do.

I'm one that has worked my way down to zero nic and the best advise I can give is don't rush the process and while you're doing it don't be afraid to use the higher level at times you feel you need it. If you're lucky little by little you'll need less and less of the higher levels. When you're ready use a lower nic parts of your day and higher level other parts of your day until you find yourself only using that lower level. Get comfortable at the new lower level and then start working some of an even lower level in your day.

Good Luck!!!

aewolfe

Jun 28, 2010
Boston MA
I also have had the same concerns / questions. I find the time it takes the nicotine to hit my system is longer than with an analog. So, with a smoke, I know when I am done (or full). With the e-cig, by the time I feel 'done' I am past it and will be somewhat hyper or a little shaky. I assume that is a normal reaction. I also assume it is a little difficult to truly O.D. with a low cart (12mg) since you will feel the affects of the nicotine and want to stop long before you actually get sick....Or am I wrong?

Sorry if I grabbed the thread.

JohnnyMac

Dec 26, 2010
Phelan, CA
I haven't even thought about getting a lower nic lvl for when I'm at home but that's a good idea. I pretty much chain vape, with a handful on mins between a handful of hits, from when I get home from work till I go to bed. I'll think about getting some 12 mg for that part of my day but for work I definately need that 18. Today i actually had my first analog craving after a guy ...... me off and I've been analog free for a month :(

Freddy

Jan 25, 2011
Virginia
Thanks for the info. I'm only going back to the analogs because they are just a familiar "friend". My boy missed the bus this morning and slept in missing part of the school day, missing exams, calls me at work ... first thought, "I need a cig". Old habit is all. I really don't miss them they just are a pacifier for me. No issues vaping at all ... just curious, cause when I get stressed I still reach for the analogs.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
I also have had the same concerns / questions. I find the time it takes the nicotine to hit my system is longer than with an analog. So, with a smoke, I know when I am done (or full). With the e-cig, by the time I feel 'done' I am past it and will be somewhat hyper or a little shaky. I assume that is a normal reaction. I also assume it is a little difficult to truly O.D. with a low cart (12mg) since you will feel the affects of the nicotine and want to stop long before you actually get sick....Or am I wrong?

Sorry if I grabbed the thread.

You're reaction is pretty normal. It's still possible to OD on 12 mg but if you're paying attention to what your body is telling you and you take a break from the nic when you feel those symptoms you'll be fine. To ignor the symptoms, even at 12 mg, and continue to give yourself more nic would be a mistake. If you find yourself hyper or a little shaky often then it sounds like you're ready to do some mixing of your 12 mg with some lower 8 or 6 mg. vaping. I knew I was ready to step down my nic level, at least part of my vaping time, when I felt like you're describing.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Thanks for the info. I'm only going back to the analogs because they are just a familiar "friend". My boy missed the bus this morning and slept in missing part of the school day, missing exams, calls me at work ... first thought, "I need a cig". Old habit is all. I really don't miss them they just are a pacifier for me. No issues vaping at all ... just curious, cause when I get stressed I still reach for the analogs.

Yeah, that habit of reaching for a ciggy in times of stress can be the worst to get over. I remember many times in the beginning that when a habit factor hit me I reached for my PV and chain vaped as hard and as long as I could to get over that wish for a cigarette. It worked, but not without a lot of effect and determination not to give in to that urge to smoke. Good luck !!

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
yeah it's normal - just don't over-nicotine yourself. And what kind of cigarettes did you smoke? full strength lights or ultralights? (their nicotine amounts fall in different range)

if a person was going to vape about how much they smoked or a bit more these nic levels often work
full strength cigs -> 24mg and some need 30+
light cigs -> 16-18mg and some need 24
ultralights -> 10-12mg abd some need 16

re the some need values - if you smoked extra long cigarettes or just feel you need more to get off cigarettes then consider the higher level. And if someone vapes 2x or more than they smoked they might need a lower level for times when they are vaping heavily. Some noobs over-nic themselves. I did it once on a juice I couldn't stop vaping (a peach and it was even 1 level lower than my normal nic juice)

When I first started vaping I tried to keep it to about the same amount as I smoked. Now I am vaping more, but not vaping constantly - I don't let myself vape constantly because I do want to lower my nicotine. I figure when I first lower my nicotine I might want to vape more for a while. If I am already vaping all the time then that would be impossible.

I was a lights smoker and started on 16-18mg. Lately I've been buying only 12mg juices including my faves and some new ones I can't wait to try. I will start phasing them in soon - doing some 12 and some 18 and thne hopefully get to all 12mg.

aewolfe

Jun 28, 2010
Boston MA
You're reaction is pretty normal. It's still possible to OD on 12 mg but if you're paying attention to what your body is telling you and you take a break from the nic when you feel those symptoms you'll be fine. To ignor the symptoms, even at 12 mg, and continue to give yourself more nic would be a mistake. If you find yourself hyper or a little shaky often then it sounds like you're ready to do some mixing of your 12 mg with some lower 8 or 6 mg. vaping. I knew I was ready to step down my nic level, at least part of my vaping time, when I felt like you're describing.

True. I have been watching my intake. I do have some 0mg cartos that I could use just for the action of vapping. Or, maybe I should move down to a 6mg all of the time. I'll play with it and see how it works out.

Dirsan

Jan 19, 2011
East Granby, CT
I too smoked 1-1.5 packs of Marlboro Lights/Camel Lights (whichever was cheaper) a day for 16 years. I've only been vaping about a week and am using 24MG, vaping pretty much all day. So far, I haven't had any side effects, and don't crave any higher levels, not sure what would happen if I lowered the nic level though.....I'm still smoking 3 smokes a day, but I'm happy with my progress at this point. Good luck!

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
True. I have been watching my intake. I do have some 0mg cartos that I could use just for the action of vapping. Or, maybe I should move down to a 6mg all of the time. I'll play with it and see how it works out.

We're all so different, but when I tired to just move down a level all day long it went GREAT for the first week and I thought all was well and I had succeeded. It was in the second week that I suddenly had nic cravings again. So up I went for a few days and then took myself back down a little at a time mixing up my levels throughout the day and little by little worked my way all day to the new level. And then started down again sometimes going back up for a day or two. It felt kind of like that 2 steps forward, 3 steps back, three steps forward 2 steps back, 3 steps forward, 2 steps back with finally making it 5 steps forward and no steps back. It wasn't terribly hard once I understood how I was going to react, but it did take a lot of patience.

aewolfe

Jun 28, 2010
Boston MA
I too smoked 1-1.5 packs of Marlboro Lights/Camel Lights (whichever was cheaper) a day for 16 years. I've only been vaping about a week and am using 24MG, vaping pretty much all day. So far, I haven't had any side effects, and don't crave any higher levels, not sure what would happen if I lowered the nic level though.....I'm still smoking 3 smokes a day, but I'm happy with my progress at this point. Good luck!

After a few days I stopped smoking cigs. I don't even have the urge for them anymore. Vaping is just fine for me thus far. I rans out of the 12mg cartos and I have a few 16mg ones. I do notice a difference with those in that I get a little dizzy from them. When I had an urge to smoke a cig, I would just vap till it was gone or mostly gone. You'll also find that your sense of smell will return rather quickly and you won't want to smoke a cig.

Steelmage

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2011
Wake Forest North Carolina
I was able to completely quit analogs after 3 days of starting to Vap. That was 52 days ago. I started with 24mg and I'm still at the same level. I vap a lot so I am going to try a lover nic level as I have developed cramps for a couple of days and had the jitters several times due to much nic. I cleared up the cramps with cranberry juice as it flushes out the kidneys and bladder. Checked with my doctor and he agreed it was the nic as nothing else showed up as any infection in that area. He still approved of my Vaping instead of smoking and told me to just slow down on the vaping or go to a lower level of nic. I have been hesitant to go to a lower level as I don't want to go back to smoking. For the first time in 42 year I'm smoke free and enjoying it. After having tried and failed with all the stop smoking remedies, patches, pills and other stuff (including hypnosis), I had resigned myself to eventually dying of a smoking related illness. Vaping was suggested by one of the guys I work with and it worked for me. I still find it hard to believe that after almost 2 months without a smoke, I still don't want one and truly enjoy vaping. I'm sure I sound like a talking billboard for vaping but for me personally it has made my life and health better. By the way who invented these things? I'd like to send them a thank you note :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread