Nic Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNameless

Jun 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Would it be safe to store my unflavored nicotine liquid in mason jars? I've heard stories of e juice eating paint, and the bottoms of the lids on the jars are painted. So I wasn't sure. I have 480 ml of 48 mg in vg. I plan on putting it in the freezer for long term storage, and the plastic bottles the nic came in are obviously no good for this, but I've got tons of mason jars lying around.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
480ml of Nicotine Base would seem to big a Significant amount of money. I would make two suggestion.

1) Spend a few bucks and buy a decent bottle or two. Something perhaps like this.

Cobalt Blue Boston Round Glass Bottle 4 oz w/ Cap - 24/400
(30ml = 1oz => 480ml = 16oz)

Also, Light is not good for e-Liquids. I would not store e-Liquids in clear glass.

2) Before you freze your entire 48ml supply, consider frezeing 15 or 30ml as a test. I froze some e-Liquid one time and it just didn't taste right after it was thawed out. Not saying it was bad, it just tasted sort of off.

You might also read this thread and do some ECF Google searching and Storing e-Liquids.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...29-storing-unflavored-nic-liquid-freezer.html

TheNameless

Jun 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the replies guys. The bottoms of the lids are definitely painted. There may be a layer of hard wax on top of that, but im not sure. Im going to just play it safe and get some bottles from specialtybottle.com, better safe than sorry. Zoidman, were you freezing flavored e liquid, or an unflavored base? I've heard of people getting a bad taste after freezing e liquid, but never after freezing the unflavored base liquid.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the replies guys. The bottoms of the lids are definitely painted. There may be a layer of hard wax on top of that, but im not sure. Im going to just play it safe and get some bottles from specialtybottle.com, better safe than sorry. Zoidman, were you freezing flavored e liquid, or an unflavored base? I've heard of people getting a bad taste after freezing e liquid, but never after freezing the unflavored base liquid.

I did both Flavored and Unflavored.

The Flavored tasted Bad. The unflavored didn’t really taste bad. Just off.

Like I said, I would try doing a small taste batch Before you do the entire 480ml.

Last edited:

TheNameless

Jun 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I did both Flavored and Unflavored.

The Flavored tasted Bad. The unflavored didn’t really taste bad. Just off.

Like I said, I would try doing a small taste batch Before you do the entire 480ml.

Alright, I will do that. I'll freeze a couple ml for a week or so and test it out after. Thanks for the advice.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Alright, I will do that. I'll freeze a couple ml for a week or so and test it out after. Thanks for the advice.

No big deal if you find that freezing a couple of milliliters and it turn out bad. But I would hate to hear that something happened to the entire 480ml.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
I have used the cobalt blue glass bottles with the polyseal caps in 4 different sizes to store my 100mg PG based nic for about 6 months now in the freezer and have not noticed any changes. So far so good for me. As stated above I feel the key is keping it away from light and air as much as possible.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
After 19 months in the freezer, I detect no change at all in any of my stored nic.

If the mason jars are like mine, with rubber gasket, the PG or VG might leach plasticizers. Might end up with rubber tasting juice. And if there is any PGA in it, that will happen even more. I think its best to use bottles designed for organic chemicals, such as the SpecialtyBottles amber or cobalt. The eurodropper insert acts as a nice gasket. Be sure to leave about 1 mL or a little more of head space. I had a bottle of 100 mg VG that was filled right to the rim. Didn't expand in the freezer, but it did expand a little when I brought it to the temp of a rather hot office and made a bit of a mess on itself when I opened it. That was a "now don't do anything stupid" moment. Gloves on, paper towels, made a couple juices, problem solved.

I have used the cobalt blue glass bottles with the polyseal caps in 4 different sizes to store my 100mg PG based nic for about 6 months now in the freezer and have not noticed any changes. So far so good for me. As stated above I feel the key is keping it away from light and air as much as possible.
Thats good news. I feel pretty certain that freezing will be fine now. Im actually going to put the bottles in a few brown paper bags to help keep out light. Even though im getting amber bottles, I'd like them to get absolutely no light.

Careful if you do keep it in a mason jar that you don't mix 'er up with yer moonshine now.
Lol :lol: That would sure add a little extra kick to your moonshine. A kick of death :evil:
After 19 months in the freezer, I detect no change at all in any of my stored nic.

If the mason jars are like mine, with rubber gasket, the PG or VG might leach plasticizers. Might end up with rubber tasting juice. And if there is any PGA in it, that will happen even more. I think its best to use bottles designed for organic chemicals, such as the SpecialtyBottles amber or cobalt. The eurodropper insert acts as a nice gasket. Be sure to leave about 1 mL or a little more of head space. I had a bottle of 100 mg VG that was filled right to the rim. Didn't expand in the freezer, but it did expand a little when I brought it to the temp of a rather hot office and made a bit of a mess on itself when I opened it. That was a "now don't do anything stupid" moment. Gloves on, paper towels, made a couple juices, problem solved.
Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to leave a little headroom. I definitely don't want nic juice all over my counter tops. Always good to hear from one of the resident chemists.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I think I am going to retest freezing some e-Liquid.

Seem like I am the Only person who got an Off Taste when they did it.

What happened?

I store w/ minimal air cap at 5F.
Inside zip lock baggies, inside igloo cooler inside freezer.
Some was in whitie plastic 30ml bottles that lasted over a year w/ no problems.
Some is in very clear plastic 250ml bottles that's still ok.
Some is in Glass bottle that I haven't got to yet.

Last edited:
Well now im thinking about just freezing my nic in the plastic bottles they came in. That way I wouldn't have to expose them to more air/contaminants. And it'd save me a few bucks, which I could put towards my Silver Bullet fund. I think its mostly PG that leeches the plasticizers. It sounds like VG should be fine, but I could be wrong.

MrByte

Moved On
Jan 24, 2011
Earth
I get mine in amber bottles, and store them in the fridge. The bottles are clearly marked as "Not something to drink" and we don't have little ones running about here.

I make/sell juice locally, so I have the "mother bottle" in the fridge all the time, and the "shuttle bottle" gets refilled as needed and goes out with me and then goes back in the fridge after. I suppose I run a risk of condensation in the bottle, but I haven't see a problem yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread