Nice looking box MOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
I just stumbled on that on DX when looking for a cheap torch to mod and got all excited. I have not made a mod yet and don't have the tools or skills required but this modding thing has bitten me HARD :)
After seeing what you guys are doing I just gotta put in the hours and try some mods.
Anyway my original thoughts on seeing that kit was that it could be charged using the usb lead making a more universally available option. Most homes and offices have 1 usb cable you could use if you don't carry one and a simple lighter to usb adaptor for the car. And of course it save the need (for now) to buy a battery charger.
The only problem I thought of was the 5.7v stated output. Is this a little too high? I intended to only mod the torch head ( and if I do will definatley use your RCA mod for this) so don't want to gut the usb part. Any ideas ?

PS Oh do the indicator lights still work on your mod (look at the shiny shiny :) )

Keep up the great work
Chris

Thank you Chris,

The voltage is the same you would get with your pass-through plugged in your computer.

If you prefer the regular 3.7 volts used on most mods and on all factory batteries, you can find a USB pass-through sold with a battery in line to reduce and maintain the voltage at 3.7 when plugged into any type of USB port.

I would not recommend doing this mod if it's your first, the best way to go is a nicostick, not because I think you can't do it, but because you might end up frustrated as I did at some point.

The lights don't work anymore because I completely gutted it, all I wanted was the box since I usually prefer 3.7v and I didn't want/need to deal with the electronics in it and also have chargers for my batteries.

It works great right out of the box as a power source for a pass-through and modding only the torch part might prove a little too much to be worth it, but then again, it's up to you how much you want to do it, apparently the casing of the torch part is sealed and you would have to brake /cut it to get inside.

Good luck with it and I hope you post your results whenever you make it. :)

____

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
The picture confuses me because there are so many types that are used. I just want the ones you specifically used for the box mod you posted about. I looked through Radioshack's site and there are so many types of rca connectors that it's confusing for a noob :( I don't know if they are all the same or if I should be looking for a specific type or if a certain type they sell is more difficult to tear apart versus another and so forth.

Rexa, any news about yours?

just curious to know if you got it and did anything to it.

Thanx

maygood

Aug 23, 2009
Thanks Warp
I think I might be a little out of my depth for the moment so I'll take your advice and make a nicostick first.
I already have a usb passthrough for a 510 which I am not very impressed with so it will be a donor for the connector and maybe i can use the usb part too. I have opened it and there is a pcb the full length of the battery compartment, so my thought of cramming that into the torch head has gone out the window.
I have also had a thought about converting my titan pcc unit as an all in one holder/charger/pv.
Ok back to reality now
will let you know how I get on with the nicostick
Thanks again
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread