Nickel Poisoning Concerns - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejack102

Jan 7, 2018
I own the Halo Reactor Mega (80W). LINK: https://www.halocigs.com/reactor-mega/starter-kit/

The product comes with a Ni200 0.15 ohm Coil Head.

I have been using 100% Pure VG Menthol flavoring, but the recommendation for the product is rated for 70 VG/30 PG.

I didn't not see anywhere where it said a warning about it until a person warned me at a Vape shop and I later found on the website that "Nickel coils must never be used be used in Variable Wattage, Smart, or Bypass modes."

I am new to vaping, and I didn't realize. I was using the product in the default mode it came in, Wattage Mode, where it only allowed me to control the wattage between 30 watts and 80 watts, and I was firing it at all the various wattages. I have used the vaporizer for months!

How dangerous was this to my health? Do I probably have toxicity from nickel toxicity? What are the risks, concerns, etc that I am now facing?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I own the Halo Reactor Mega (80W). LINK: https://www.halocigs.com/reactor-mega/starter-kit/

I have been using 100% Pure VG Menthol flavoring, but the recommendation for the product is rated for 70 VG/30 PG.

I didn't not see anywhere where it said a warning about it until a person warned me at a Vape Shop and I later found on the website that "Nickel coils must never be used be used in Variable Wattage, Smart, or Bypass modes."

I am new to vaping, and I didn't realize. I was using the product in the default mode it came in, Wattage Mode, where it only allowed me to control the wattage between 30 watts and 80 watts, and I was firing it at all the various wattages. I have used the vaporizer for months!

How dangerous was this to my health? Do I probably have toxicity from nickel toxicity? What are the risks, concerns, etc that I am now facing?
Your device came with a user manual. Now would be a good time to review it.

You probably aren't going to die, but you should THROW AWAY that coil and use the one(s) designed to be used in power mode.

joejack102

Jan 7, 2018
Your device came with a user manual. Now would be a good time to review it.

The default coil it came with (nickel) and the default mode (vw) are unsafe, yet there was no warning. The manual mentions to use nickel in temperature control, however it was not listed as a warning or caution. My ignorance yes, however if the risk is this high, common sense would suggest the company should place it as a warning somewhere, not in the fine print. Something important to human health should never be in the fine print.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I was and still am new to vaping, but I do not recall experiencing anything particularly unpleasant.
Then I'd say you're a-ok. Nickel is bad when it's overheated. If your coil stayed wet enough to give you a pleasant vape, it's doubtful it got hot enough to harm you in any way. I'd toss the coil and use SS or kanthal from now on. Nickel is a dumb choice nowadays.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I think you will be ok health wise.
The concern with nickel is if it's heated to very high temps dangerous oxides can form.
Since you are using drop in coils and not dry burning them, they probably never reached very high temps.
Jinx....I win!

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The default coil it came with (nickel) and the default mode (vw) are unsafe, yet there was no warning. The manual mentions to use nickel in temperature control, however it was not listed as a warning or caution. My ignorance yes, however if the risk is this high, common sense would suggest the company should place it as a warning somewhere, not in the fine print. Something important to human health should never be in the fine print.
You're right. That is unsafe and I wouldn't get anything else from a vendor that ought to know better.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
While it is possible that you inhaled some nasties if it overheated you probably would have tasted it, generally we use nickel in TC only because as the wire heats the resistance increases, this leads to a wildly inconsistent vape and is not ideal.

Honestly I know I'll get some backlash for this but manufacturers should just stop producing coil heads with Ni and Ti, SS316L works great in TC and is also fine for wattage mode.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The Kit apparently comes with 2 x .15 ohm nickel coils. You are probably safe but better to get different coils.
https://www.halocigs.com/reactor-mega/starter-kit/

But there are coils made of Kanthal and Stainless steel. Get some of those. Get SS if you actually want to play with TC on the mod.

https://www.halocigs.com/reactor/coils/

The problem with using nickel in wattage is the ohm rating on nickel changes rapidly with heat and the mod keeps applying more voltage. Not considered safe to do.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you haven't keeled over or anything, I think you will be fine. Glad you caught the error, and yes, sometimes companies DO things like this without warning. Always a good idea to read user manual, and if it is rather worthless, to check out a YouTube review, not so much to see if the mod is well reviewed, but good reviewers tend to do a good demonstration on the product, which to me is sometimes worth way more than a poorly written user manual that can be kind of vague about things (depending, some manufacturers do a nice job with user manuals...)

Best of luck, sorry about the scare but glad you caught it early... :)

Anna

Reactions: Baditude

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
This was the most informative nickel video I watched:

Because the problem is with the formation of oxides, I feel like they would be a problem more common with rebuildables. With prebuild coils you're not dry firing and forming oxides.

The problem is we don't know what temperature it becomes toxic. My gut feeling though is with prebuilt coils, they aren't robust enough to get up to that heat without burning themselves out. It's probably why the manufacturers see it as a non issue. But I despise TC, so don't take my word for it.

Last edited:

nikosss1

Mar 12, 2018

I didn't not see anywhere where it said a warning about it until a person warned me at a Vape Shop and I later found on the website that "Nickel coils must never be used be used in Variable Wattage, Smart, or Bypass modes."

I've had the same issue. I've used a 0.2Ω nickel coil on variable wattage mode at 35 watts for about a week. Have you had any serious issues since then? I'm quite concerned since I've been having random pains all over my torso and I feel like vomiting sometimes.

• Optimistic

joejack102

Jan 7, 2018
I've had the same issue. I've used a 0.2Ω nickel coil on variable wattage mode at 35 watts for about a week. Have you had any serious issues since then? I'm quite concerned since I've been having random pains all over my torso and I feel like vomiting sometimes.

I have had Costochondritis type pains in my chest for over 6 months now. At first, it felt so much like you would think of heart-attack type stuff, but after seeing a cardiologist and having several tests done, they claim they ruled out cardiovascular issues completely. They get worse and get better at times, but it has yet to go away. I'm trying to determine if it was related to my usage of my vaporizer on Variable Wattage mode with a nickel coil or not.

• Optimistic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread