Nicotine as ADD/autism treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
okay, so first of all, I'm a non smoker (for the most part, I tried a cigar a few times and liked it, so maybe if I hadn't gotten this E-cig I could have gotten into real cigars knowing me). that said, I'm not here because I'm some ignorant ...... who thinks this is some cool toy or whatever. I'm here because I'm trying to see if using these could actually help me for different reasons. So here's the deal: in my first thread, I asked if I should use an E-cig to help me control my appetite, particularly sugar cravings, and for the most part, the general consensus was that maybe using sweet tasting non-nicotine cartridges was better than using nicotine, and after researching, I would have to agree. BUT, when I was looking at more articles on nicotine and the effects it has on the human body, I found that many studies have shown that nicotine is has had positive effects when tested as an ADD treatment, and even more recent studies have shown that nicotine may even be helpful to people with autism. I have both of these disorders, and I want to see your guys opinions. ADD medicines like adderall have had TERRIBLE side effects on me, when I was in 8th grade (I'm 20 now), I could hardly eat and got an average of 3 hours of sleep in a night if I was lucky and became completely emaciated as if I just got out of a concentration camp, so because of this I kind of have a "....... the FDA" attitude since they're the ones who approved this crap that I was forced to take. I've been on over 20 medications (as in one after another, not at the same time) when I was a kid, and stopped using them after my parents saw what the adderall was doing to me. Now I'm on nothing, but I can't sit still in class for very long and have trouble concentrating, and I noticed I feel more alert and focused when nicotine is in my system. like I said before, I think the FDA are all liars bought out by big drug companies, so I don't care what THEY say about nicotine, I care what the people working their aßes off doing actual scientific research to see what might truly help people think, and I want to know if anybody here might know more about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Have you tried caffeine instead of nicotine? My son exhibited some signs of ADD/ADHD when he was younger, and we started giving him coffee (more like latte, honestly) and it helped a lot - and I mean a LOT. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, I'm just really concerned about advocating vaping.

If you feel like nic might do the trick, how about trying some gum or snus instead of adding the inhalation-addiction to the mix?

Ardeagold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
Maryland
Have you tried caffeine instead of nicotine? My son exhibited some signs of ADD/ADHD when he was younger, and we started giving him coffee (more like latte, honestly) and it helped a lot - and I mean a LOT. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, I'm just really concerned about advocating vaping.

If you feel like nic might do the trick, how about trying some gum or snus instead of adding the inhalation-addiction to the mix?

A good number of people with ADD drink DIET (no sugar) Mountain Dew, and it works well. Has a lot of caffeine.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Oddly enough, caffeine makes me feel like crap, and nicotine doesn't. I don't inhale it I just puff on it and blow it back out like a cigar, so I would think I wouldn't be absorbing as much through my gums etc. as if it went directly in my lungs. and wouldn't snus be worse than vaping since it's got actual tobacco in it? with vaping you're getting JUST nicotine and nothing else, snus, while it has LESS carcinogens than most tobacco products, E-cigs (good ones anyway), don't have ANY at all. and the gum wouldn't really last as long, since one cartridge lasts me 3-5 days, so I can space out my nicotine consumption better that way. I use 10-15 MG cartridges (I have 2 10 packs of 15 mg and one of 10 mg).

ADDITIONAL COMMENT:

"Google nicotine and dopamine receptors. You might be enlightened!"

I understand nicotine is addictive if that's what you're getting at. but if I were to use an ADD medication, I'd be using it for the rest of my life, so what difference does it make? a 10 pack of cartridges costs me $40, and lasts me for a good month, and I remember when I got my ADD prescriptions filled they cost my parents 110 dollars for a months worth! so if this IS an effective treatment for ADD and more importantly autism, being addictive isn't really a big deal if it helps me.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
Nicotine Improves Memory And Helps Brain Repair Itself

I don't like to recomend anything. However, their are studies such as the above. I was trying to state to look up some facts so you can make your own choices.

OP do you have Asperger's syndrome? I have researched ADD/aspies btw. I cannot talk about this on an open forum. I do have information for you. PM me if you want my suggestions?

thepelican

Oct 14, 2009
nyc
Oddly enough, caffeine makes me feel like crap, and nicotine doesn't. I don't inhale it I just puff on it and blow it back out like a cigar, so I would think I wouldn't be absorbing as much through my gums etc. as if it went directly in my lungs. and wouldn't snus be worse than vaping since it's got actual tobacco in it? with vaping you're getting JUST nicotine and nothing else, snus, while it has LESS carcinogens than most tobacco products, E-cigs (good ones anyway), don't have ANY at all. and the gum wouldn't really last as long, since one cartridge lasts me 3-5 days, so I can space out my nicotine consumption better that way. I use 10-15 MG cartridges (I have 2 10 packs of 15 mg and one of 10 mg).

Nicotine patches, steady delivery and probably ideal so you won't be getting spikes of nicotine highs and withdrawals.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Nicotine patches, steady delivery and probably ideal so you won't be getting spikes of nicotine highs and withdrawals.

I might try those again, I used one a while ago and I didn't like how it felt on me, I don't even like putting band-aids on if I don't have to, it's a sensory thing probably. that is probably the way to go though. btw since I don't have school and am off work today, I'm gonna just do 0 nic for today since it tastes good and it helps me not eat candy. I need to find some customizers for this thing since the actual company doesn't make fruit flavors.

Elokin6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
Miami
Okie, as an adult with serious ADD, I have to say that you might want to give traditional meds another shot. I had a horrible reaction to meds when I was about 13-14 and swore them off, but when I tried again at 26, it was a different story. Adderall now makes me feel super zen. When I am good about taking it (which, I admit, I am not) I deal with stress much better and I am actually able to sleep.
Another thing that helps me a lot is yoga. Maintaining a regular practice is a major challenge for me, but it helps. I don't know that the yoga itself is helpful, it may just be the regular, focused, physical activity.
For me, vaping is less about the nicotine and more about the act. Vape breaks give me time to indulge my swirling thoughts and help me cope with a much more linear world. Having something to do with my hands also helps me focus my thoughts and attention. I'm not sure that the nicotine even has anything to do with it.

Cail

Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
indiana
The below is just my initial impression and I have in no way done the proper research to determine what actual therapeutic doses of nicotine would be in humans.

I doubt you will see a huge improvement with nicotine vapor. I haven't seen anything on human trials but they were using 3-6 mg/kg nicotine in the experiment linked to here (very well may be less/more for effective treatment in humans).

If we assume that 100% is absorbed by injection (likely significantly less) and a human that weighs 150 lbs would need to take in around 204 mg of nicotine a day. The general consensus seems to be that an average smoker absorbs ~1 mg of nicotine per cigarette so that would equate to slightly over a carton a day assuming typical smoking habits. It seems from what I have seen that absorption level of vapor is even less. As stated I haven't done the proper research but just from the way the study linked to was performed smoking/vaping probably doesn't provide levels significant to have much effect on these symptoms.

All of this in mind, I have ADD and have never noticed that cigarettes helped at all. In fact I thought much more clearly when I was not smoking. My amphetamine salts have tremendous benefits regardless of how expensive they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread