Status
Not open for further replies.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I've been vaping for more than 8-years and long ago I found hardware and software which "simply worked" for me. As a result, I've gone periods of years away from ECF. And then, something draws me in and I start reading about whatever new topics catch my eye. In this case, I actually stumbled onto nicotine salts on an online vendor's site and then came here to learn about it. I actually had never heard of it until maybe an hour ago.

I found an informative thread ...
Nicotine Salts
but, it has been closed to further posts (weird). So, here I am starting a thread to ask a rather simple question.

My background: I've been mixing my own eLiquid for a while now, generally around 18mg. I'm far from a connoisseur, easy to please (within reason). I am what I think y'all call a tootie puffer and my mainstay tank is a full-size Aspire Nautilus with 1.6-1.8Ω coils at 3.7-4.4V or 7-8W. Absolutely not a cloud chaser!

The primary reason I switched from commercially prepared liquid to DIY was to save money. It seems nicotine salt is a more expensive alternative. I'm not a huge fan of throat hit, but I think I'd feel a little odd vaping with zero throat hit.

So, the question is: Taking into account my habits is there sufficient advantage to warrant the additional cost? Would someone like me, with my vaping habits, see ANY advantage?

I'm finally nearing the time to order more nicotine after running off a biggish purchase I made years ago. And now I'm curious about this new (to me) "thing". I'm investigating it before stocking up.

Thanks for any opinions/information.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
The advantage of nic salts is the ability to use much higher concentration (up to ~50mg) without the troublesome throat hit that some don't like. If you're happy with your current setup and throat hit, getting nic salts will disappoint. If you want less throat hit with your 18mg it might be worth it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, the main advantage is reduced throat hit that can result in an easier time vaping if you have harshness. When I got here my throat was pretty torn up, and nic salts were really helpful. I have a great deal of it stashed, but for the remainder of my stash, I bought freebase. For one, I can vape commercial freebase nic (without much PG I am sensitive to that) with no real issues and for two, if I hate it, it can be converted using citric acid pretty easily.

I will say if harshness is not a struggle for you, I don't really see much need. If you really aren't sure, most places will send a sample of DIY nic salts for the cost of shipping, if you want to try it without too much financial risk and etc.

It was useful for me at the start. I'd say now, it's less useful and once I run out of nic salts in all likelihood I will move on to freebase.

In fact, one other thing about nic salts is they are reportedly more stable over time. So I might break out my freebase first, even.

Some claims are made as to quicker absorbability, but I'm not entirely certain about that, and it may depend on different issues. I don't find them to be vastly different (anymore).

Best of luck,

Anna

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
My experience with nic salts is that ive found it to be very smooth. And even at 6mg strength, it does seem to get in my bloodstream a little faster, maybe, but more efficiently for sure. I vaped a diy last nite thats been steeping for a good while. It was smooth as a babys rear end and i got to say, i got a nicotine buzz off it that i dont get with freebase nic juices i buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread