No Luck With Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugsman

May 27, 2011
Central Florida
I keep reading about how great the tanks are when you're out and about. So far I have a Liquinator, a DCT tank and a tank from NotCigs. I have absolutely no luck with them. I'm sure it's operator error, meaning me, but I can't seem to get a good go with any of them They either leak, or are hard to draw from or have no flavor, so on and so on. Is there some kind of secret to tanks? I've slotted, punched and used the pre-punched cartos.. Would be interested in getting some advice on how to deal with tanks. Help!!!

sandscards

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2012
Broken Arrow, OK
Not much help here. I use the cheapest tanks around with the Dual Coil tanks and haven't had any problems. I have been using three for over two months and haven't changed oring or anything with any of them except the cartomizer. I have been using the prepunched single holes with a 70/30 juice and they have wicked just fine. I can't help on leaks at all but I have found that the first fill is the most im important. You have to fill the carto with juice and then insert into the tank. Fill the tank and then I take three or four hard puffs without hitting the firing button. I let it set five minutes or so to soak in and then vape. If it tastes burnt that first vape then it didn't work and start over. I have burned a few by being impatient but overall a pleasant experience. Good luck and will help when I can.

nebulas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Earth
The Liquinators are known for leaking but I would have thought with all the tanks on the market today that they would have corrected that problem but IDK.... I use the smoktech DC tanks and I have never experienced leaking. I have actually cut them down to fit standard Boge cartos and they work great. They actually sell Smoktech short tanks now that fit the Boges. Another good, inexpensive tank are J-tanks. I think they might actually be slightly better than the Smoktechs; however, I haven't actually used one myself.

If your willing to invest some cash into a tank, the Who's Your Daddy tanks and Phiniac tanks are some really nice tanks.

If you go with any of these suggestions you shouldn't experience any leaking.

Lethalp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Indiana
I am having the same problems, so while I can't help I feel your pain. Misery loves company, right? ;). While I am going through my growing pains with them, I use the xxl clear LR dual coil cartos, they hold bout 2.5 ml and give a nice warm vape. The best prices I have found are either mad vapes or vaping zone

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

sandscards

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2012
Broken Arrow, OK
It does take more battery power to get the dual coil cartomizers to work well. I am now using a 3 ohm Boge in my tank and I run it at around 5 volts which is somewhere around 8 watts. If I understand the dual coils they will take a lot more power to get the same results. The 1.5 ohm dual coil is really two 3 ohm coils firing at the same time. It would take more power to get the same vapor and heat production. When using a 3.7 device like the ego I really liked the 1.7 ohm single coil from Smoktech. Gave good performance. I used a lot of dual coils but have now kind of settled on the single coils with 1.7 on the ego or kgo type device and 3 ohm on the vv device. I think you might need to experiment with some different cartos in your tank. I get mine from Hoosier ecig supply and have had good luck and they have a variety. They have dual coil and single coil tank replacement cartos in a variety of ohms and even one hole punched or three. Try some lower ohm cartos if you are one a ego type device and I think it will help you get a little more flavor and heat from you vapor.

nebulas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Earth
I missed that you were talking about 3 different tanks ........

I don't know what DCT tank you are using but it sounds like maybe you do have the smoktech. It's the o e that comes with the prepunched carto with a flange at the bottom. If you are using the prepunched with 3 holes, then that could be your problem. The 3 holes cause massive flooding and result in a leaking tank. They sell both the 3 hole and single hole prepunched cartos. Try the single hole. If that last tank you mentioned is an Ego tank, then those are also known to leak. Notcigs sells little silicon seals that should prevent them from leaking. Also, those tanks tend to leak if you are taking hard draws on it. Try taking, longer, smoother, and slower draws and see if you leaking stops.

bugsman

May 27, 2011
Central Florida
I have a SmokTek DCT tank with the one hole cartos with flange. I have the tank from NotCig with SmokTek cartos and the liquinator with slotted cartos. Honestly I'm waiting for the Clearwater Vape Fest and hopefully someone there will be able to show me what I'm doing wrong with these things. I know it's gotta be me not doing something right - maybe too much air or something but I can't get a good hit off any of them. I use a Provari and a Buzz Pro. I appreciate all the help and will probably try a couple more things to see if I can get any of them to work for me.

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
I hear you. I've been having the same issues lately. I originally bought a Mini Sub tank from Mom & Pop Vapor shop a couple of months back, and it vaped like a freakin' dream for 2 weeks. I changed the carto only once and that one was perfect too. Then I go to change it the second time and since then I have had absolutely no luck with my tanks! Either it doesn't wick, or it over-wicks and floods the carto, or some other issue. I bought myself a Phiniac for my birthday thinking maybe it would be better but I'm having an even more difficult time with it so far :(

The only reason I keep trying is because when they work they work really, really well.

razorxwire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Agreeing with Nebulas. The trick to tanks is the draw you take.. You can't rip on them like you can standard cartos/attys.. Long, slow, steady draws are the key. I've been using a DCT tank with 1.5 ohm triple punched cartos. At first, I was trying to take huge hits, and I'd get juice in my mouth, or the carto would flood. After it was suggested to take slow draws, I haven't had a single problem with them. No dry hits, no flooding or leaking, and best of all.. No juice in my mouth.

razorxwire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Depending on which tank your using, trying this may work.

Well, anothing thing you might want to try is instead of filling the carto with as many drops as you would regularly, add a few, take a drag or two, and if it needs more juice in it, suck it in through the tank without activating your mod. Do that until it hits like it should. I usually do this when switching carto's, makes the process a lot simpiler.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
I used different tanks for 2-3 months without issue and then suddenly they turned into uncooperative little beasts. So I feel your pain. I changed cartos, punching styles, used pre-punched and well basically did everything I could. I hated all the fiddling and the uncertainty of if the vape would hold up while I was out and about. I despised all the frustration it was causing so I threw in the towel. Boxed them all up and threw them in the back of a closet and switched to a bottom feeding mod. Couldn't be happier with my setup now and don't miss the tanks at all.:)

Last edited:

blake28

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Bradenton, fl
I had alot of those same problems as well, I will say what I do now and since I started thids, my tanks have stop leaking.

I would empty ur tank out and clean it well, then dry. Then as ur putting ur tank together I put pure vg on the O-rings of both top and bottom caps. It helps them slide in better as well as keep a better seal. Also lube the inner O-rings with just a little vg, so the carto slides in easily.

This will also save alot of wear and tear on ur O-rings. There will be some overflow of vg inside the tank to start, but as soon as u fill it, it wont matter it all vapes the same.

Also lubing the O-rings helps tremendously when u go to pull the caps off.

Hope this helps or I may have stated something that u r already doing and in that case,, my bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Tarkvemada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Austin, Texas, United States
Same thing.. First I tried DCT Smoketech.. never had any luck with.. Probably their pre-punched cartos.. Got Who's your daddy.. Can't even thing of any better! I did exactly the same priming and everything as Smoketech. The difference is - I used boge XL carto in Daddy tank and my juice was a bit thicker, so I punched it twice- one hole right above the bottom cap of the tank and second a little higher on the opposite side of the carto. Works like a dream and i already refilled it a few times. Also- I got a couple of tanks from Buzz, the sub tank style.. Did exactly the same thing but got slightly burned taste and weak throat hit.. The carto I used is NOT XL boge, some health cabin standard one.. What I'm trying to say - is the key in most cases is a carto, and I prefer XL. More filler and the same hole or holes you punch in it will fill your carto slower and you'll have less chance of overfloading your carto. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought.. Tank is just a reservoir that holds the liquid- the carto itself and the way you punch it is important part of the system.

congaman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Saint Augustine Florida
You could try punching 2 holes (about the size of the tip of a bic pen). One at the top and one at the bottom. Make sure you mark them before punching so you can get the proper placement for the holes and the seals won't cover up the holes. Works great for me in my submarine tank. I think it all has to do with air pressure in the tank. The nice thing about the sub tank is the ability to remove the screw when the tank is half full and it kind of adjusts the air pressure inside, don't forget to put the screw back in. I use 60/40 pg-vg. Been useing this method for about 4 months with no incedents to speak of. Also, I usually punch the holes on opposite (sides?) of each other. Good luck!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I had tried a couple of the Smoktech clear polycarbonate tanks with black end caps. I did the carto prefill method, inserted into the tank, let it set a few minutes, and vaped. One leaked from the top endcap (poorly fitting upper tank cylinder) and another carto flooded and leaked at the battery connection. Threw them away.

I got one of these 510 Pro DCTank Combo and did the above juice fill routine. Worked like a charm...great draw, vapor, and flavor. Ordered a few more, same great results. These tanks have metal endcaps and a polypropylene (syringe plastic) casing, which to me are more superior materials for a cheaper line of tanks. These tanks are solid and don't leak. I've been using these for about a month and love them. I have several colors with different colored Cherry Vape ming style tips to differentiate my favorite juices.

I do believe you need to pre-fill the cartos before putting into the tank, or alternately fill the tank and then fill the carto once it is in the tank. I also will occassionally top off the carto by simply taking off the drip tip and adding juice until I see the fill is moist.

My method of vaping with tanks is to use multiple short sucks with each vape. You may need to choose how many holes to punch in each carto depending on the thickness of your juice. I've had luck with both single and triple punched cartos, my favorite is the triple.

Note if you get the above recommended tanks/cartos, choose the proper ohm for the device that you use (3.7 or 5+). Don't give up, once you find what works its the best, convenient way I have found to vape.

I use either kanger xl or boge xl sr. I have an $8 tank from ##### on a provari at 5-6v. juice is clear-80% pg 20% vg homemade 555. Have had no luck with pre-punched cartos. My cartos get a dremel slot lengthwise almost as long as the interior of the tank. I easily get a week off both brands of carto, so about 35 mil. Put them straight in the tank dry, wait til they stop bubbling out the slot, refill tank and good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread