Problem with holes in carto for tank set up - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have had several different tools for punching holes and had problems with them all. I finally got a dremel and now slot my cartos. Super easy and fast. You can pick up a generic dremel for under $20.

Good to know. However, I have also heard that slotting cartos with a dremel can cause sharp edges and be bad or disasterous to the O rings as the carto slides over them. What ya gonna do? :blink:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Comparison of BigDaddy Vapors Slap Yo Mamma tank tool vs Phiniac/Siam mods tank tool
View attachment 118861 View attachment 118169 View attachment 118170
Slap-Yo-Mamma ($8 delrin, $13 stainless steel). Phiniac/Siam mod ($4)

Those that have been following this thread know that I have owned the tank tool from Phiniac for a short time and came across an "issue" where the tool became very difficult to remove from the carto and tank itself. Admittingly, this may have been caused by user error. See below:

The circumstances were: attempting to refill a self-punched carto (Phiniac's punch tool) which was slightly deformed (no longer completely circular) because of the punch tool compressing the tube walls of the cartomizer. I suspect this may not be an entirely unusual scenario with Smoktech DCT tanks, as others have expressed problems of this nature.

Anyway, I found it necessary to push the carto with the attached tank tool against the wall with some force in an attempt to get it to move through the endcaps. After much struggle and force, I did get the tank refilled with juice and the carto in vaping position. However, now the Phiniac tool was stuck in the carto. Because of its odd shape, there wasn't an easy way to remove it with fingers.

I remembered seeing a similar tool called Slap Yo Mamma and thought that given a similar situation as above, it likely would have been easier to remove because it actually has a "handle" on the end to help tease it off a carto. I ordered the stainless steel one and it was delivered today.

View attachment 118171

The Slap Yo Mamma tool is on the yellow tank, the Phiniac/Siam Mod tool is on the red tank in the above pic. The drip tip/mouthpieces have been removed from the cartos and replaced by the tank tools as shown in this pic. They are both of the same length. Both are designed to do essentially the same thing, to aid in the carto's movement thru the endcap 0-rings of the tank during setup and refilling, and also to avoid juice getting into the airhole of the carto during refilling. Both tools do a great job of doing this, and I can not stress how much easier these tools make refilling juice in a tank.

View attachment 118172

The second pic shows the proper position of each tool within the tank for the refilling process. The tool and carto is pushed down in the tank to create a space to allow dropping or dripping juice into the main tank. Each tool's shape aids in the delivery of juice into the tank while also keeping it out of the air hole in the carto. In normal circumstances, after filling the tank the carto is pushed back up thru the top end cap and the tank tool then removed.

Notice the shape of the two devices. The Slap Yo Mamma tool lends to easier removal simply by its handle. The Phiniac tool can be more difficult to remove because of its shape, there is very little surface area to grab. The shallow groove is just that, too shallow to make a difference. And of these two tools that I have, the Phiniac tool has a much tighter fit in the carto. This is possibly a minor difference between the two tools, as they both do what they were designed to do. However, I feel the Big Daddy Vapes tool is the better design. and is easier to use because of its shape. I feel this is one of those situations where you get what you pay for and is strongly recommended despite the higher expense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread