No problems at airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2008
UK
Like Karen and dnakr say it depends how you would feel if they did take it from you. If you are not bothered then you could try, but I think until e-smoking is more popular and more people are in the know, it probably is best to stick to carts, as they look like nicotine replacement products.

well said Junior :thumb:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
u could k-ll an a-rplane full with an e cig shaped device filled with the right ingredients.. its a good job the whole thing aint real else there would be a-rplanes falling out of the sky on a regular basis and none of us would dare get on one..

trog

Trog is dead-on correct and the very fact that even one e-cig device made it onto a commercial flight is testimony to a security failure worthy of Congressional inquiry. That is simply alarming.

I'm holding in my hand a pen style e-cig, with a manual button atomizer, a slim barrel tube and a cartridge/mouthpiece containing liquid. Could it be converted to fire a bullet? Yep. Spray a gas? Yep. Spew anthrax? Yep. Flame? Yep. Release a small number of Ebola germs? Yep. Explode? Yep. All anyone would need to do is press the button on the device if it had been modified to create a terrorism incident.

The how-to's are well known by the nut cases who would do such a thing. The only hope flyers have is that ground security stops devices that have triggers and fluid chambers and metal barrels.

Think about what it means that someone got one of these aboard an airplane. Think about what it would mean if lots of e-smokers boarded airplanes with manually triggered pens in this possession.

This is as scary a thing as I've read recently.

Spider

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2008
United Kingdom
backscatter machines lol explain spider :)

Betty told me about them earlier.. it's a new kind of security screening they are starting to use in airports.

It's basically like an x-ray that scans your body under your clothes. So an image of your body gets sent to a guy in another room who checks if you are carrying anything you shouldn't be on your person.

That's why I said it was a bit pervy! Betty said it's like a virtual strip-search!

I think it's for if you don't want to be frisked :p

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I'm okay with ecigs getting onto a plane. I expect the TSA to know the difference between an alarm clock and a bomb with a timer. This is the same deal, in my eyes. There are new electronic gadgets every day, we can't possibly keep up with them in that aspect. Homeland Security shouldn't be getting out of sorts over every new 2 cent part that rolls off an assembly line. Everything can become something else. And actually, they shouldn't be concentrating on parts at all anyway.

YMMV, all just my opinion and just for today. :)

BettyRedondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2008
Bournemouth England
TropicalBob, I thought your post was very interesting, but I am not concerned that the e-cig wasn't picked up by the scanner and that others have also carried them on flights. I have no doubt that as you say people who wish do harm perhaps could use parts of an e-cig, but there are far more mundane items which would as be just as useful to them as Jamie said. Security scanning is not 100%, but that is just a small part of the whole process of flying, your crew that look after are also security trained, and other procedures are in place to protect your safety. I know it has been said many times before, but your journey to the airport is far more likely to produce an unfortunate incident than the flight itself. I will continue to carry mine and will see if any interest in it does arise, in any of the three continents I will be visiting.

I have to agree with you on that T-Bob. If we're going to take our e-cigs with us, we have to be responsible with them for sure. That's why I would attempt them in a nice fancy case with cartridges only. They look less intimidating and easier to inspect if need be.

Sure we Americans are paranoid in this issue, but we have every reason to be. :(

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but snus and Stonewall can get me through an entire day if need be. No discomfort at all. Not visible in use. I'm getting all the nicotine I need from them. A flight would be a piece of cake.

And I've now added the modified nicotine inhaler soaked with E-Liquid. I used it in a doctor's office yesterday and everyone just thinks I'm quitting cigarettes by using Big Pharma's inhaler. Heck, Big Pharma gives us a core soaked with 10mg of nicotine; I soak that same core with 24mg liquid. It's messy, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread