No vaping allowed?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mell4now

Apr 24, 2011
Western MA.
I'm at Bertucci's in West Springfield, MA just got out of a 13 hour day and am enjoying a beer at the bar while waiting for my take out. When i asked the bartender if it was ok to hit my e-cig she made a huge production out of it by shouting across the resturaunt to the manager adking if it was ok, ultimately the answer was a big fat "no". Not only was i a tad bit Embarrased at their "publicity stunt "i was a little ticked off that they declined my request. Hell, I probably didn't even have to ask. I just did that out of courtousy... Anyone else get shot down for vaping in public??

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Did you approach the manager and ask him if he was aware what vaping is?

If yes, then shame on him. Don't go back...

If no, then shame on you!

To answer your question, no, I've never been turned down. I was told a couple of times it's OK if no one around me minded. Thus far batting 1.000, plus v-verted two curious customers!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
It seems incredible to we in the know, but ignorance of what e-cigarettes are and what they're all about is the norm outside of these walls. If they've had any exposure at all, it's been through the slick, stupid you can smoke these anywhere, free trial! commercials that share late-night airtime alongside phone sex pimps—or they've heard news soundbites about nutjob vapers going postal aboard airlines at 30,000 feet when they've been denied the use of their e-cigs, or that the FDA found antifreeze and carcinogens in them.

In all fairness, if I were a bar owner in possession of only what has filtered through to me via the media, I'd consider them problems I don't need.

Last edited:

Tarkvemada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Austin, Texas, United States
I always asking the permission. Some people have no idea about e-cigs, but they OK with that as long as it's not a smoke. More people asking if that's new thing, fake cigarette and they wanted to try it some time to quit smoking.. Which is pretty good already. If I have time at the moment - I'm giving them some info.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I was asked in a store once not to vape. The lady said she must have an allergy to it. So I made sure she knew what it was and she told me how it was like she was smoking from being around it. She felt it in the lungs. Okay BS, but I stopped puffing till I got outside anyways. No need to piss people off and give the vape a bad name.

Mell4now

Apr 24, 2011
Western MA.
I am always courteous when it comes down to vaping and will usually ask before hand. I was kind of bummed with the answer, but really upset at the huge production that the establishment made when I asked. It felt like half the resturaunt was stairing at me:/ as the bartender shouted across to her manager...I guess I probably should have titled the post a little bit differently -lol!!

b0redagain

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
Denver, CO
I dont ask cause its not a law or posted house rule. If u ask your giving them the chance to say no. Its self sabotage, as well as sabotage for all vapers to a point.

I don't see it that way at all. I ask because I don't want it to be an issue when people complain because they think I'm smoking. I just try to be respectful of the owners and the people around me.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I don't see it that way at all. I ask because I don't want it to be an issue when people complain because they think I'm smoking. I just try to be respectful of the owners and the people around me.

Ya if its a mini I see your point. I bring in some huge mod and everyone knows its not a analog. They just look at me like they kinda get it. But for the most part no one ever says anything to me. I have had people confirm its that new electric thing but thats pretty much it for the most part. No one has ever said I cant vape though.

b0redagain

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
Denver, CO
Ya if its a mini I see your point. I bring in some huge mod and everyone knows its not a analog. They just look at me like they kinda get it. But for the most part no one ever says anything to me. I have had people confirm its that new electric thing but thats pretty much it for the most part. No one has ever said I cant vape though.

I agree, for the most part people will just keep quiet, but I'll still be respectful and take my chances by asking. I don't see a problem one way or the other. :vapor:

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
I asked the first two times that I used it in restaurants. Afterwards, I stopped asking. If people really have a problem with it, they would let me know somehow. A few weeks ago, I was waiting for my table at a restaurant, and I started vaping next to a man and his three sons. The only person who said something was a waiter who, upon approaching me, realized that I was using an e-cigarette (as opposed to an analog) and politely excused himself.

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
I am always courteous when it comes down to vaping and will usually ask before hand. I was kind of bummed with the answer, but really upset at the huge production that the establishment made when I asked. It felt like half the resturaunt was stairing at me:/ as the bartender shouted across to her manager...I guess I probably should have titled the post a little bit differently -lol!!

Is this a chain joint or a local place? If it was me and I felt that way, I would try and take it up with the general manager. Write a nice simple letter explaining how the staff that night made you feel. Might not change anything, but it'll at least let you get your feelings known to the right person. Maybe include an ECF link in the letter.

propagandax

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Guys let's be honest here. I'm sure the manager was just trying to avoid complaints from other customers right or wrong. Furthermore what you exhale is not air, its vapor residue you breathed in and exhaled while I know its not a big deal it likely smells, again people look for any reason to complain.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread