Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
It's actually pretty easy.

I used a pair of foreceps (pliers, salad-tongs, whatever you have. Careful, it's hot!) and dipped just the end in a 1/4" of boiling water for 45 seconds. Then removed the cap with my normal "whatever is on hand" - a multimeter probe in this case, but whatever you normally use will work too.

The point is that a quick dip in the "spa" is enough to soften the glue and make removal (careful, did I mention _hot_?) of the end-cap possible without destroying or even deforming it.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
I know, I know... "Photos or it didn't happen" ;)

hard-cap-carto-remove.jpg

You guys are quick! :) You're welcome!

If you're going to clamp it with large forceps or vice-grips, grab it around the base so you don't deform the barrel.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Very clever! Thanks for posting. Just a thought, wouldn't it be better to use Everclear or vodka to clean the glue residue? Or even orange cleaner (sticky remover), anything that is food-grade? I know that this question, coming from somebody who has for over 30 years willingly inhaled carbon monoxide, arsenic and hundreds of other poisons, sounds a bit ridiculous, but we're trying to get healthy here, right? Any thoughts on what cleaner would work best to remove the glue residue?

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Using my method, just wipe 'em off with some rubbing alcohol while they're still warm (100deg C or above is the soft-point. Melting seems to be around 145-155 deg F)

[edit to add:] The alcohol will evaporate off in a few seconds. If you're concerned, just rinse in cold water afterwards. If you're paranoid, rinse it in boiling twice-distilled water. ;) )

Seriously, though, if you drink ENOUGH rubbing alcohol, you'll go blind.

According to: http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/chemical/pim290.htm#SectionTitle:5.1 Oral

Doses above 20mL are considered toxic. The residue that might possibly be left on your cap is probably nano-liters, but for sake of argument - call it microliters. So if you were to wipe them off with a paper towel and toss a couple thousand of them in your mouth simultaneously, somehow manage to swish a couple thousand around and suck the alcohol off, you might get sick. Right after you choked to death from inhaling some of those couple thousand end-caps.

I suspect the toxicity of the alcohol is substantially lower than getting nicotine juice in your mouth on a bad refill, but that's just me.

Pure Grain Alcohol, everclear, vodka, what-have-you is substantially more expensive than $0.80/bottle rubbing alcohol, but my readers should ALWAYS and ABSOLUTELY go the route that makes them feel most safe and secure. I try to note where any given procedure is likely to lead to a route of potential harmful exposure. Much of the stuff I play with can most certainly do that.

That said: I wouldn't wash my cartos in rubbing alcohol. That's just asking for potential trouble, mixing chemicals like that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread