Noob Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd make a list of questions I have and hopefully they will
get some answers that will help other future prodigy users make
informed decisions when purchasing their very first prodigy. If you
remember being new, these will be familiar. If you are new, hopefully
these questions, and their subsequent answers, will help you.

1.) Why are there so many choices? Which prodigy should I buy?

2.) If I buy the 501, does that mean I can buy a 801 adapter, and it
will be the same as buying the 801 prodigy? Are the adapters the only
difference?

3.) Can I buy atomizers from anywhere, or do I have to buy them from
Puresmoker? Which atomizers fit which prodigy? Where can I buy
atomizers in bulk?

4.) What are the different switches? Do they increase the voltage? Or
do the batteries increas the voltage? Which switches go with which
batteries?

Hopefully I have covered questions other noobz will have problems
with, and also can stimulate some conversation. Frankly? These
questions are my own, and I'm hoping in poasting them, the answers
help others, as well as myself.

Thanks!

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Fusoya

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Dallas, TX
1. People like choices and it gives folk variety and doesn't leave anyone's favorite lying to the wayside. Also many people have stockpiled their favorite atomizer so this helps in that they don't have to just leave them lying around wasted.

2. That is EXACTLY what it means and as a matter of fact I recommend it.

3. You can pretty much buy them anywhere. When the Prodigy was first released there were some it was touchy with but it appears that problem has been fixed. I've ordered in bulk from TW (packs of 5) but so far have only used PS attys with my Prodigy

4. There is a switch with a resistor and one without. The switches do not increase the voltage the batteries are in control of that. If you get the switch without the resistor you can run the Prodigy at 3.7v for supposedly a long time with that one battery and with the resistor you are looking at ~5v.

Hope that helps.

Brandon

Curtis

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Nashville, TN
I thought I'd make a list of questions I have and hopefully they will
get some answers that will help other future prodigy users make
informed decisions when purchasing their very first prodigy. If you
remember being new, these will be familiar. If you are new, hopefully
these questions, and their subsequent answers, will help you.

1.) Why are there so many choices? Which prodigy should I buy?

There's not really that many, Father. You have your standard 5V Prodigy. Then you have a variety of atomizers and their respective adapters that all work with the same unit. This was done to accomidate users who have been using a particular brand of atomizer for some time. The may have a preference for it or perhaps even have built up a stokpile atomizers and carts for it.
When the Prodigy was originally announced there was some ideas of a 3.7V unit. (Not exactly sure how this worked out, but...) It ended up being a 5V unit. Some people still wanted the 3.7V and Steve was awesome enough to offer it to them in a seperate switch, which you can now purchase from the website.
If you have no prior experience with e-cigs, I would personally suggest you start with the 801 penstyle and adjust for you preferences from there. It's the standard e-cig. I started with it and I'm glad I did.

2.) If I buy the 501, does that mean I can buy a 801 adapter, and it
will be the same as buying the 801 prodigy? Are the adapters the only
difference?

Yes, If you buy a 501 kit as well as an 801 adapter and 801 atomizers you will be able to use both configurations. The adapter is exactly that, it adapts the same unit to different atomizers. Be sure to get extra atomizers, you will need them.

3.) Can I buy atomizers from anywhere, or do I have to buy them from
Puresmoker? Which atomizers fit which prodigy? Where can I buy
atomizers in bulk?

Yes, you can buy atomizers from anywhere. The atomizers that fit the Prodigy's adapters are the ones listed on the page and their respective generics. Such as DSE-801's and RN-4072's are pretty much the same atomizer. Same goes for the DSE-901 and the RN-4075. The 501 is like a Janty Dura Atomizer (I think, don't have any experience with this one), and is generally referred to as 501 from what I can gather.

Different suppliers have a tendancy to call their product different names but it all comes from the same place, China. If you can find a model number it should give you a good idea what atomizer they are selling.

China is the place to buy hardware in bulk, if you want the most value. You can find various dealers on the Supplier's Forum at the bottom of the main page.

4.) What are the different switches? Do they increase the voltage? Or
do the batteries increas the voltage? Which switches go with which
batteries?

The switches are the 5V and the 3.7V. The 5V uses the RCR123a batteries, and the 3.7 used the 18650. There are various configurations of batteries and switches that will work together, but this is the basic setup.

Hopefully I have covered questions other noobz will have problems
with, and also can stimulate some conversation. Frankly? These
questions are my own, and I'm hoping in poasting them, the answers
help others, as well as myself.

Thanks!

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Hope that helps, Father. Be Blessed.

Last edited:
Okay about the tail piping. Sounds like what I used to do with analogs: Hot Boxing,
when the cherry just got way too hot. I'll have to try tailpiping.

Have I asked which atomizers (attys for us noobz is a short form of atomizers)
work best?

We have the choice of these atomizers:

Are all atomizers of these sizes appropriate for the prodigy?

Again, I am trying to find general questions which may be of help to new people.
Please be patient with the questions in this thread.

And thanks for your answers about tail piping!

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Curtis

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Nashville, TN
Okay about the tail piping. Sounds like what I used to do with analogs: Hot Boxing,
when the cherry just got way too hot. I'll have to try tailpiping.

Have I asked which atomizers (attys for us noobz is a short form of atomizers)
work best?

We have the choice of these atomizers:

Are all atomizers of these sizes appropriate for the prodigy?

Again, I am trying to find general questions which may be of help to new people.
Please be patient with the questions in this thread.

And thanks for your answers about tail piping!

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

I still Hotbox my Prodigy. Love doing that. I think some people call it Chain Vaping.

Most any brand of those attys should work on the Prodigy. I'm sure if you run into a problem with one, Steve or some other gentle soul on here will be able to troubleshoot it until it works.

The Noobs shall inherit the forum.

Thanks Curtis.

So. Let me review:

The Prodigy fits the 510 (not 501 - sorry my bad) the 801 and the 901 atomizers,
(atomizers called attys for short), and the prodigy kit comes standard with whichever
adapter for whichever size atomizer one is used to, or prefers.

Any size atomizer (510, 810, or 910) may be accommodated on the prodigy with an
adapter offered as an accessory. The only difference in the prodigy kits is the size of
the atomizer adapter which comes with the prodigy.

The prodigy kits come standard with a switch which accommodates two batteries giving
the prodigy a higher voltage than standard personal vaporizers. A lower voltage battery
is available along with an accommodating switch offered as an accessory.

Atomizers may be bought from anywhere, one comes included with the prodigy kits.

From your lips to my ears, as the saying goes. The cartridge. I assume one is included,
but it doesn't say.

Is a cartridge included?

And thank you!

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Curtis

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Nashville, TN
Thanks Curtis.

So. Let me review:

The Prodigy fits the 510 (not 501 - sorry my bad) the 801 and the 901 atomizers,
(atomizers called attys for short), and the prodigy kit comes standard with whichever
adapter for whichever size atomizer one is used to, or prefers.

Yes, whichever Prodigy kit is ordered, will come with an atty and adapter for that particular kit.

adapter offered as an accessory. The only difference in the prodigy kits is the size of

Right, If you order the 801 Prodigy it will come with an adapter that fits the 801 atty only. Same goes for the other adapters.

The prodigy kits come standard with a switch which accommodates two batteries giving
the prodigy a higher voltage than standard personal vaporizers. A lower voltage battery

The Prodigy comes standard with the 5V switch and RCR123a batteries. If you order the 3.7V switch it comes with 18650 batteries. The 5V switch uses two batteries, the 3.7V switch uses one battery.

Atomizers may be bought from anywhere, one comes included with the prodigy kits.

Yes sir.

From your lips to my ears, as the saying goes. The cartridge. I assume one is included,
but it doesn't say.

Is a cartridge included?

No, Your atty will include a mouthpiece with no cart attatched. If you want carts, you will have to order from someplace other than Puresmoker.

A cartridge consists of the mouthpiece attached to a white cup which contains the polyfill material, which holds the fluid and wicks the atomizer. Puresmoker has forgone the cartridge.

And thank you!

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Youre very welcome, Please don't hesitate to ask for help. Most people are happy to give advice.

Thanks again, Curtis!

No carts included, but the prodigy includes a mouth piece, which
implies that the prodigy is well suited for dripping... but this is getting
past what Noobz, like myself, would be looking at.

On the topic of dripping, this consists of dropping e-liquid directly on
the atomizer, a few drops at a time -- until the liquid is used up by
sucking a draw from the atomizer -- rather than using a pre-filled
cartridge used in creating vapor to draw.

One last post and I think we've nailed it...

So...

The Prodigy fits the 510 the 801 and the 901 atomizers, (atomizers called attys for
short), and the prodigy kit comes standard with whichever adapter for whichever size
atomizer one is used to, or prefers.

The prodigy comes without cartridges ("carts" for short). Cartridges consist of the
mouthpiece attached to a cup which contains the polyfill material, which holds the fluid
and acts as a wick to the atomizer.

Puresmoker has forgone the cartridge, and includes a mouthpiece. The prodigy is well
suited to dripping, meaning that a few drops of e-liquid is dropped onto the atomizer,
and then when the switch is activated, vapor is produced, and this is what is drawn
through the mouthpiece giving a nice throat hit and excellent flavor.

Hope this has been of help to new and potential prodigy users!

And many thanks to all who have contributed answers!

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Last edited:

ruuku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2009
Honolulu, Hawaii
The 5V is the standard prodigy. The 3.7V is the custom configuration for those who value battery life over power of vape. From what I understand, this is the same power as most personal vaporizers.

One correction Curtis, although I don't have any 901/801 batteries, my M401 batts read 2.8V, M201 3.2V and 510 4.09 (all off fresh full charges). A fresh charge off an 18650 will read just about 4.2V, thus off a freshly charged 18650 you'll still see a performance bump, just not quite as drastic as with 5V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread