Not an aid to quitting smoking? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can anyone say that ecigs are not an aid to quit smoking when so many on this forum, like me, have found it so incredibly easy not to smoke now that we have ecigs.
I have tried nicotine gum, patches with no joy, I just couldn't go more than two days without a cigarette, then I try ecigs and giving up analogues was a cinch.

Are these people for real. Ecigs are superior to any other cure for smoking.
(except maybe the nicotine inhalator, never tried that to be fair).

MY point exactly......its not like you use the e-cig to walk your dog or park your car....there is a reason people are using the e-cigs otherwise what would be the point of switching over from a traditional cigartette? Personally I dont want to die of lung cancer and i tried quiting in the past with the patch and gum and have failed over and over. the e-cig is the first thing that worked for me and has continued to work for me for the last 12 months. its hard to believe that i could have been one of the 5.4 million people who died last year from smoking but i wasnt....i thank god everyday for the ecig and i hope one day every smoker who cant kick the deadly habit will have an e-cig in their hands to direct them to the path of a healthier lifestyle...

Heed

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Dasein
I wonder where testimonials fall within the marketing rules:

If a retailer made no direct claims about using the devices to quit, but rather, posted testimonials from customers detailing their experiences with the devices including statements about reduction or quitting, then I wonder if that would also be considered as making unsupported claims.

It is simply reporting on the feedback from the customer base instead of making direct claims.

Cage

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2009
Arizona, USA
Whenever this issue is brought up, I always get a visual image of that guy who quit paying his taxes... in jail. Don't ask me who... this was 20+ years back.
Now, he may have been 100% right, I don't know. He may have had a perfect legal argument, I don't know. He may eventually win, I don't know that either.
What I do know is... he was in jail screaming, "You can't do this to me!"

I'm not sure when or why or how, or even if they will ban them... but I'm sure they can.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
This is from UK marketing laws:

"Marketers should hold signed and dated proof, including a contact address, for any testimonial they use. Unless they are genuine opinions taken from a published source, testimonials should be used only with the written permission of those giving them.

"Testimonials alone do not constitute substantiation and the opinions expressed in them must be supported, where necessary, with independent evidence of their accuracy. Any claims based on a testimonial must conform with the Code"
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-uk-regulation-sales-marketing-promotion.html

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
we have the government fanatics then we have the dont dare upset the government fanatics...

the second lot bother me more than the first lot..

we are playing with words...

it is claimed by many that these devices have helped them stop smoking..

it is claimed by many that these devices are an easy way to stop smoking...

both statements perfectly true and very provable..

its all in the wording.. words can mean whatever you want them to.. ask any politician...

trog

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Isn't the quit rate using standard NRT something like 6% after a year? If that is so, and they are approved, the standards for becoming an approved NRT are extremely low. E cigarettes should not have much trouble reaching and beating that standard. I believe that if the makers of Nicoderm and other NRT's did not intend for its users to become long term users and Nicoderm addicts the products would still require a prescription from a doctor. Again, the standard for approval appears to be extremely low.

xpdx

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2009
Pacific NW USA
I worry too about the government getting involved with this whole e-cigarette phenomenon. The puritans will ban anything that resembles drug use. For some reason all recreational drug use is considered immoral. I've never understood this and I never will. It's as if they think pleasure should be banned.

Whatever. They can outlaw sales of e-cigs and liquid but in order to stop vaping they would have to stop the sale of tobacco (or anything else containing nicotine), vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, (and probably other chemicals) and anything that produces heat. Oh, and batteries and/or electricity.

They can't stop it. In the USA they have already lost the battle against pot, they will lose this one too.

Heed

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Dasein
This is from UK marketing laws:

"Marketers should hold signed and dated proof, including a contact address, for any testimonial they use. Unless they are genuine opinions taken from a published source, testimonials should be used only with the written permission of those giving them.

"Testimonials alone do not constitute substantiation and the opinions expressed in them must be supported, where necessary, with independent evidence of their accuracy. Any claims based on a testimonial must conform with the Code"
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-uk-regulation-sales-marketing-promotion.html

Interesting, thanks for that.

Reading that, it would seem to indicate that simple statements from customers as to their experiences with an e-cig would be permissable. It talks about substantiation, but if the retailer is making no direct claim, then the testimonials cannot be considered substantiation (i.e. it seems to be talking about using testimonials as substantiation for claims made by manufacturers/retailers).

It also talks about the opinions in the testimonial needing to be, "supported, where necessary, with independent evidence of their accuracy." First question would be what constitutes a situation where support is necessary. The wording clearly allows for cases where it is not necessary. Also, what level of support would be considered adequate. Secondly, a testimonial is an opinion as even defined here -- opinions, are, by definition, not always able to be supported:

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

It finishes talking about making claims based on the testimonial. But again, if no claims are made and only the testimonial is published I don't see how this applies.

The code seems to focus on claims made based upon testimonials as it specifically talks about substantiation. It seems much less clear in situations where no claims are made by the persons with vested interests.

I wonder how a "guestbook" type of feature would be viewed where customers simply left feedback about their experiences with the devices.

Allowing people to post their unsolicited and uncoerced opinions on a product and not making any claims based upon that feedback would seem to steer clear of anything prohibited by those guidelines.

Disclaimer: Don't act on marketing advice you read on the internet.

Last edited:

providence

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Rhode Island, USA
When you say back ip up what do you refer to?
But the proof about it aiding in getting off tobacco is plastered all over the internet for any eyes to see. And all it would require testing wise to get that proof is to have smokers use the e-cigs. I don't think claiming this can aid in getting a smoker off of tobacco is a false claim that needs ot be backed up at all. There is no lying there, no false claims, nothing. Just a true statement that E-cigs can aid in the getting a smoker off of tobacco.

You need to check out what the FDA did to nicotine water:
from FDA GRANTS CITIZEN'S PETITION SEEKING UNAPPROVED DRUG CLASSIFICATION FOR "NICOTINE WATER

FDA has concluded that "Nicotine Water" is an unapproved drug under the Act because it is intended to treat or mitigate nicotine addiction as a smoking cessation product. Because nicotine addiction is considered a disease, FDA requires safety and efficacy data to support any claims intended to treat this disease.

Related:
http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/Script/DisplayPressRelease.php3?Display=517

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/02/national/main514046.shtml

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Consumer-Trends/FDA-rules-against-nicotine-water

The FDA reviewed these claims [of helping to quit] - which were posted on the Nico Water website - and ruled that there was insufficient evidence to support them. This effectively makes the water an unapproved drug, which in turn means it cannot legally be sold in the United States until the manufacturer submits a new drug application to the agency and the agency approves the application.

Last edited:

pinto575

Dec 23, 2008
Albuquerque NM
I ordered a bunch of stuff from bestEcig.com some atomizers and batteries for my 901, some health e-liquid and some Marlboro e-liquid. I just checked the tracking and it says it was handed over to customs. Ive ordered stuff from overseas before and never seen this on the tracking. Does this mean I'm not gonna get my package? I really hope not I don't have money for more liquid and don't want to go back to anologs.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Lacey: Do you have any idea how much nicotine one bottle of NicoLite contains? Any measure will do .. like a cig has 1mg, a mild snus packet is 4mg, daily e-cig use might provide 16mg or more. I'm betting this homeopathic mumbo-jumbo has so nicotine that a flea couldn't get a nic kick. Hope I'm wrong about that, but the prices are insane no matter if it contains 10mg of nicotine.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Lacey: Do you have any idea how much nicotine one bottle of NicoLite contains? Any measure will do .. like a cig has 1mg, a mild snus packet is 4mg, daily e-cig use might provide 16mg or more. I'm betting this homeopathic mumbo-jumbo has so nicotine that a flea couldn't get a nic kick. Hope I'm wrong about that, but the prices are insane no matter if it contains 10mg of nicotine.

I am working on it... trying to figure it all out... it is rather confusing.

But they do list:

The water used is 26 USP grade purified water. Each 240 ml bottle contains a Homeopathic dilution of 6x of the proprietary processed nicotine molecule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread