Not getting any flavour. Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshJD94

Jun 2, 2013
North West, UK
I recently starting creating mixes with no nicotine. I thought it would be as simple as replacing the PG nicotine from my previous recipes (that worked) with normal PG. This doesn't seem to be the case because I'm not getting the same, if any, flavours as I did when I included nicotine, even after steeping for the same number of days (sometimes more).

A typical recipe i've been using (for a 2ml mix) is:

0.4ml flavour
0.9ml PG
0.7ml VG

I get a TINY hint of flavour, but it is overwhelmed by a "warm", slightly chemical taste.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

akatina

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Greenville, SC
0.4ml flavor in a 2ml mix is 20%, which may very well be too high for the flavorings you're using. Liquid that has scent but no discernible taste is a big clue that you have too much flavoring in the batch. Take one of your 2ml low-flavor tests and add another 2ml of unflavored pg/vg. Shake and steep and then try the batch (which is now at 10% flavoring instead of 20%). Chances are you'll start to notice better flavor.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
I once had this issue, and for me it was the brand (or batch?) of the flavoring. Maybe it was who I ordered it from, and at the time, I assumed that it was watered down by the vendor. I guess that's what they mean when the description says "water soluable" pfft!

Anyways, I switched the site I ordered the concentrates from as well as the brand name of concentrates, and bam.. I got robust flavor that is consistent now. Even though the concentrates smelled right, once mixed into the pg/vg, they amounted to zilch.. that screams "watered down". That's my mileage, yours may vary.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
for what it's worth, I now order LA flavors only and from wizard labs. I've started "experimenting" with others- I just placed an order for a few select flavors from desert vapes, since so many here seem to recommend them. We will see :) But bottom line is that I don't experiment without having my "sure fire" supplies available and stocked.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Need to watch for several things. Flavor quality. Pg/Vg quality
Anything that could effect taste.
Normal recommendation for test mixing is NO NIC mix. Save the nic for good mix results.

Today I started vaping a nice Sweet Raspberry mix. Put it down to eat dinner and 20 minutes later picked it back up. Almost Gagged at the taste. No way the juice went bad that fast................Nope, 2 hours later all is good. Seems the Barbequed Chicken or Italian Herb pasta was messing with the taste buds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread