Notes from a First-Time DIYer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great fun! (Just keep the cats off the counter while you're mixing, lol - cat hair is my secret ingredient...) Keep us posted on how it goes and if you come up with a great recipe! It's not as hard as it sounds once you get going, and it's sooooooo much cheaper after the initial outlay. Plus you have a much greater control over what you're actually inhaling, lol...

Cheaper and tastes are my main reason. E.g. I can't seem to find a strawberry that's strong enough, that actually tastes like a strawberry. So I've decided to start making my own and see if that works better. I'll first do some standalone flavors before I start mixing them :)

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
Cheaper and tastes are my main reason. E.g. I can't seem to find a strawberry that's strong enough, that actually tastes like a strawberry. So I've decided to start making my own and see if that works better. I'll first do some standalone flavors before I start mixing them :)

I've been using the TPA "ripe strawberry" that to me tastes like a strawberry, not like a "strawberry-flavoured candy". But Hooiser is correct in stating to use less than rather than more than.... when I first used it it tasted good but not strong enough, then when I cut it by half and let it sit a day, it actually tasted stronger, lol.

Richard Jacobs

Jul 11, 2014
Netherlands
So I've done my first batches. I'm in love with inawera's Frost and Mix Mint. Always a sucker for menthol and mint, so those are right up my ally. And they taste so good right of the first batch :D. I'm a bit struggling still with FA's strawberry, I can't get the right taste. Might have put in too much flavor so I'm trying a new batch with less. See if that's better. Still have a couple steeping, all from inawera: orange, eucalyptus & mint, wild strawberry and strawberry. I also made a combo milk choclate/strawberry, but that requires at least a couple of weeks for the chocolate. All in all I'm very happy with the first results. Now I can make my mints and menthols as strong as I want them, and I want them to take my breath away. I only found one pre-made Mint liquid that was strong enough, but it tasted a bit chemical. These all taste so pure :)

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
So I've done my first batches. I'm in love with inawera's Frost and Mix Mint. Always a sucker for menthol and mint, so those are right up my ally. And they taste so good right of the first batch :D. I'm a bit struggling still with FA's strawberry, I can't get the right taste. Might have put in too much flavor so I'm trying a new batch with less. See if that's better. Still have a couple steeping, all from inawera: orange, eucalyptus & mint, wild strawberry and strawberry. I also made a combo milk choclate/strawberry, but that requires at least a couple of weeks for the chocolate. All in all I'm very happy with the first results. Now I can make my mints and menthols as strong as I want them, and I want them to take my breath away. I only found one pre-made Mint liquid that was strong enough, but it tasted a bit chemical. These all taste so pure :)

Yay - go you!!!! Oh congrats on getting something tasting good in the first try!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread