Notes from a First-Time DIYer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
Here's what I found out -

Use the (free) "E juice Me Up" calculator. It's simple and free. And run a "test" BS (bull.....) recipe through it first. I had ordered my nic in PC and upon playing with the calculator I found out I couldn't get my 25/75 preferred vape at 9 mg nicotine in PC,so I did a quick change to getting my nic in VG. Also, I ordered it at 18mg dilution which I am glad I did. VG is THICK - it sticks to everything and drips. No way in heck can you mix and not make a mess so if you won't wear gloves then order it in a low mg to start with. I totally suck at math and would have been lost without this calculator.

Flavours - they don't always taste how they smell, so try it anyway even if you don't like the smell. To really get a feel for it make up mini 5ml bottles of single flavour + nic juice only (but that is a pain in the ...., lol, but at 5 ML bottles you can later mix two of them together into a 10 ml bottle).

Head Room - many of the bottles have a bit of head-room built in, so if you measured perfectly for 10 ml and it only fills your 10 ml bottle 3/4 full, it doesn't mean you effed up, lol.

Things I wish I'd ordered more of - 1 ml syringes (pain in the patootie to wash each one out in between flavour mixing. Get at least 10 to 15 if you like to wash things, a box of 100 if you don't like dishwashing). Bottles - I ordered 10 of the 10ml bottles.I could have used 20 or 30, but was okay for a weekend of playing with flavours. 50 or 60 or larger ml bottles - (make up large batches of your preferred nic pg/vg dilution. Then you only have to add flavour and don't need to mix nic and pg/vg each time). Small funnel - I didnt bother to get one, and I found out even the small syringes don't fit into the opening of some bottles, so unless you have a REALLY steady hand, order a small funnel.

A Guy Named Hooiser - he's on here somewhere and has a blog post about flavours. I went for strong, as I figured it would be the most tasty - strong as in 17 to 20 % flavouring. Wrong, as he pointed out in his blog. I cut everything by half and it actually tasted much better. And he says if you don't like it - steep it. He's probably right about that, too, lol.

What to get to start - some Nic, some VG, some PG, about 10 smallish bottles with drips or droppers, 10 1ml syringes, 3 or 4 5 ml syringes, a funnel. 5 (or more if you want) flavours. The Ejuicemeup calculator. The whole shebang will cost you less than 50 bucks (add 10 to 20 dollars for flavours depending on what size you order). DIY is a HUGE money-saver.

I used Wizard Labs who were very reasonably priced and VERY fast shippers. Also, The Perfumer's Apprentice was where I got my flavours (I only ordered ones with out the dreaded "custard notes" lol and I love that they give you that option) and they also shipped it out to my doorstep within 2 days.

Lastly, don't be nervous - I'm a ditz and a clutz and I suck at math and I had fun and saved money and made some halfway decent juice :D

P.S. - u-tube.... if you're still nervous, u-tube a few videos on how to make your own ejuice (there's lots of them) and it'll put your mind at ease...

Last edited:

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I don't know Kiss (other than the band (not to age myself, lol))... ??

KISS is Keep It Short and Simple or Keep It Simple, Stupid.

I understand the need to impress upon people the need for safety but now you probably see it's not as scary as the safety warnings make it sound. But then again, as I said before, I have a lot of experience with hazardous chemicals so maybe it is "scary".

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
Reusing syringes - I sit a small container of vodka and a small container of water on my mixing table (about 6-8 ml of each). After each use of the syringe I flush it first with Vodka then water and reuse. Keeps from needing some many syringes laying around on my table. Only thing that gets its own syringe is nicotine. That one is clearly marked in red marker!!!

I warned you it would become addicting!!!

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
Reusing syringes - I sit a small container of vodka and a small container of water on my mixing table (about 6-8 ml of each). After each use of the syringe I flush it first with Vodka then water and reuse. Keeps from needing some many syringes laying around on my table. Only thing that gets its own syringe is nicotine. That one is clearly marked in red marker!!!

I warned you it would become addicting!!!

Lol - yes you did! Hummm... If I'm cleaning flavour syringes in the vodka, I wonder if I would start wondering what the vodka tasted like... :D

Do you use distilled water for the cleaning? Or just regular water? I'd been using boiled water but wasn't sure if that was necessary...

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
KISS is Keep It Short and Simple or Keep It Simple, Stupid.

I understand the need to impress upon people the need for safety but now you probably see it's not as scary as the safety warnings make it sound. But then again, as I said before, I have a lot of experience with hazardous chemicals so maybe it is "scary".

With me, and probably a lot of people, when I start doing something I haven't done before and am not totally sure how to do it, it can be a little... not scary per se... daunting, perhaps? And these are chemicals :)

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
((((The Guy Named Hoosier)))))) lol - awwww, thank you and thank you for your blog, lol!!!

Yep, some folks call me that. You are more than welcome for the blog. It's really a collection of the wisdom that those before me attempted to pass on to me, but I stubbornly refused to listen to it and had to make the mistakes myself. Figured if there were some less stubborn new mixers out there, it would be nice if I collected some of that stuff into one place so I didn't have to keep repeating it.

(Yes, the real reason those blogs exist is because I'm too lazy to keep typing the same stuff over and over and I'm too darn stubborn to listen to good advice.)

Jerrycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Richmond, KY, USA
I started DIY'ing my juices about a month ago myself.. Thanks to you, Hoosier, the DIY Juice Calculator and a few bits of other info from my local shop I was able to jump in with both feet. I currently have about 13 different flavorings and keep emptying bottles so I can mix new stuff.. Mucho appreciated!!!

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
Thanks for the info and reassurement! I'll be starting myself soon :). I'll be getting ready made base though, so it's only about finding the right flavors and ratios. Still a bit apprehensive though lol

It's great fun! (Just keep the cats off the counter while you're mixing, lol - cat hair is my secret ingredient...) Keep us posted on how it goes and if you come up with a great recipe! It's not as hard as it sounds once you get going, and it's sooooooo much cheaper after the initial outlay. Plus you have a much greater control over what you're actually inhaling, lol...

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
I started DIY'ing my juices about a month ago myself.. Thanks to you, Hoosier, the DIY Juice Calculator and a few bits of other info from my local shop I was able to jump in with both feet. I currently have about 13 different flavorings and keep emptying bottles so I can mix new stuff.. Mucho appreciated!!!

Lol - I know what you mean, I've had to force myself to stop mixing and say "no more until you vape these up"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread